Ford 8.8 Rear, 5.13's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford 8.8 Rear, 5.13's

Gotca thought you was saying they used the same one.its the d35 where it gets scary and may be where he is talking it has 7

Yeah LOL you should see a Dana 30 8 tooth pinion. I put a Cherokee high pinion Dana 30 in the Merc when I did the SAS. It is pretty tiny but it has held up fine. It just never made sense to me they didn't make a 5.13 for the Cherokee HP D30 since they both have 8 tooth pinions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah LOL you should see a Dana 30 8 tooth pinion. I put a Cherokee high pinion Dana 30 in the Merc when I did the SAS. It is pretty tiny but it has held up fine. It just never made sense to me they didn't make a 5.13 for the Cherokee HP D30 since they both have 8 tooth pinions.

Ive never seen a d35 5.13 but willing to bet they are 7 tooth.one reason i went 4.88s,wish i went 5.13 though .yea the d35 4.88 is tiny:(

Ive never seen a d35 5.13 but willing to bet they are 7 tooth.one reason i went 4.88s,wish i went 5.13 though .yea the d35 4.88 is tiny:(

Here is pic of JK 07-12 Wrangler Dana 30 5.13 next to stock 3.73 gears. I geared this Jeep last summer with about 20 others like it. The JK D30 are better then older D30 axle cause they used Dana 44 bearings on the pinion. There is 8 teeth on the 5.13 pinion compared to 11 on the 3.73. The JK 30 is the only 30 axle that comes with 5.13. I think cause they went to a bigger pinion bearing so they felt safer about going to the taller gear.

Left 5.13 right 3.73.
7284051619009_223467617667320_1518092_1551232284_n.jpg

The Dana 35 is actually a Model 35 designed by AMC. Dana just adopted the axle as years went by.

Ill check when I get home. But the rear for the 8.8 has 7-36(5.142) and the front D44 has 8-41(5.125)

Both are yukon sets. Ill send you those pics. Stic-O do you remember your tooth count? You run yukon 5.13's to right?

My Yukon 8.8" 5.13s are 8-41 (I know this for sure). The D35 uses 8-41 also.

Here is pic of JK 07-12 Wrangler Dana 30 5.13 next to stock 3.73 gears.

Do you know the pinion shaft diameter on that by chance?
Last I checked, both the earlier D30 and D44 pinions were the same shaft diameter (1.375"). I'm wondering if they increased the JK 30 pinion shaft dia. the same way they did on the JK D44. :scratch:

My Yukon 8.8" 5.13s are 8-41 (I know this for sure). The D35 uses 8-41 also.

Do you know the pinion shaft diameter on that by chance?
Last I checked, both the earlier D30 and D44 pinions were the same shaft diameter (1.375"). I'm wondering if they increased the JK 30 pinion shaft dia. the same way they did on the JK D44. :scratch:

Yeah 8-41 is the only 5.13 gears I have seen until now. Yeah JK 30 and 44 use the same inner pinion bearings. I think the outer is the same also. The JK carrier is the same carrier they have used since they started making the Dana 30 axle back in 60s. The 6 speed JK come with 3.21 gears so I have used Grand Cherokee carriers in them since they come mostly with the 3.73 and up carrier. That is why when I built the Merc I used a Dana 30 (plus way cheaper and easier to get parts for)figured if could hold up to JK it would be fine in a Mountaineer.

I did check and my Yukon 5.13's are 7-36. I called Yukon and the one salesman said that's what they have always been.

4x4junkie
"My Yukon 8.8" 5.13s are 8-41 (I know this for sure). The D35 uses 8-41 also."

Makes me wonder. I may call back and see if I can talk to someone other than just a salesman.

I left a message for Yukon.

I then called Motive Gear and they have a 8-41 for the Dana 44 just like my Yukon has, but they don't even carry a 5.13 for the 8.8 so that didn't help me in my search much.

Edit:
K I talked to Yukon again and they said that's all they make is a 7-36 count for the 8.8.

Next I called Randy's ring and pinion and they said yes Yukon makes a 8-41 for the D44 and a 7-36 for the rear. They claimed there wouldn't be any strength difference between a 8-41 and a 7-36 for two reasons. 1, less teeth still have to make the same 8.8 circumference circle which means bigger teeth. 2, the 8-41 would mess with a hair more contact surface area but with the 7-36 being slightly thicker per tooth they said there is in comparison no strength difference.

Also Yukon and Randy's say that the front at a 5.13 and the rear at a 5.14 doesn't make any difference at all for any amount of drivetrain bind.

I also PM'd Rick about his 5.13's he just put in and he said he didn't remember a shop installed them for him.
Anyone else running Yukon 5.13's?

So 4X4junkie said his where Yukon 8-41 count. Mine are 7-36 for sure counted 15 times and i have pictures.
We are 1 and 1 for different known counts for the 8.8

Only pics I took of mine... Not sure how well they'll reveal anything... Maybe a keen eye could tell the teeth are more "fine" with the 41 teeth on the ring vs. the 36 teeth being more "coarse".

88drive.jpg

88coast.jpg

They're definitely 8-41 though. I did the installation of them myself.

FWIW, 7-36 would be 5.14 gears. Odd if they're still calling them 5.13s. :scratch:

88drive.jpg

88coast.jpg

Your just tryin to show off your purdy gear pattern!!!!!:smoke:

The 5.13 I put in my 93 Ranger were 8-41 and I got them from Yukon. They had a circle with K in the middle which are the ones CHA makes the South Korean gear manufacturer. I put some 4.11 in Ford 9 inch last summer they had 9-37 which was the first time I seen that. They were also looked like the same color and markings as the pics you sent me. Those were made in India.

Ranger I put Explorer 8.8 in with 5.13 gears.
CIMG0112.jpg

Interesting since Yukon claims they have never made it 8-41 for the 8.8. I have been told by three people at Yukon and one is a rep at their warehouse that all they make is a 7-36.

Interesting since Yukon claims they have never made it 8-41 for the 8.8. I have been told by three people at Yukon and one is a rep at their warehouse that all they make is a 7-36.

LMAO they don't even make gears they sell them. They are reboxers. Yukon and USA Standard are owned by Randy's ring and pinon he used to sell Precision gear back when I was your age. I can remember reading Peterson and 4Wheeler back before all these forums popped up on web and seeing all his ads in those mags. He must of realized how much money he could make if started his own gear name so it began. I am sure at the beginning it was mostly Precision gears(made in USA) in his Yukon boxes but like everything else they realized it was cheaper to buy from overseas. Motive gets most there gears from India.
Next thing last year when I was trying to get some Yukon gears through my wholesaler we had some issues cause Yukon went through 3 sales people in one month my order was lost because of this. So if you telling me the sales people know what they are talking about cause they have been there since the beginning, I have hard time believing that. I doubt there are many lifers there. Don't sweat it boss your gears will be fine. I just thought it was odd since I have never seen those tooth counts. ;)

I can't find out which gears I have. I've tried part #'s and things but haven't had any luck finding out what style of gears I have. Old 5 cut or New 2 cut?

Anyone know how to tell them apart if at all?

hi.jpg

I can't find out which gears I have. I've tried part #'s and things but haven't had any luck finding out what style of gears I have. Old 5 cut or New 2 cut?

Anyone know how to tell them apart if at all?

View attachment 67891

New cut is all the newer axles. 2005 and newer I believe. I just use Ford backlash numbers .008-.012. If you can get them around .010 you will be money. I put some old cut gears in the 2005 Mustang GT (new cut)and set the backlash at .010 and it worked great.

K I just talked to Yukon about the difference between the two cut types and the fastest way to tell the difference is if the ring gear teeth on the toe side or smaller diameter part of the teeth is thicker than the outside of the teeth it is a 5 cut. A 2 cut is if it was the same. So if you think of it like this it should help. If you take the ring gear and lay it flat on a table with the carrier side of the ring gear down and bend down and look at it you will be able to see if the top of the teeth are flat or if the inner section of the teeth are thicker. Like if you where to lay a book or board across the top on the teeth and it only touches the teeth on the inside of the ring gear it is a 5 cut. If the book or board touches all the way across the teeth on both sides then it is the new 2 cut. And the 5 cut to them is supposed to be quieter to, not sure but that's what they said.

So I believe that Stang5lgt is right in saying the newer axles have the new cut hence the name and older ones have the traditional 5 cut.

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

K I talked to Yukon again and they said that's all they make is a 7-36 count for the 8.8.

Next I called Randy's ring and pinion and they said yes Yukon makes a 8-41 for the D44 and a 7-36 for the rear. They claimed there wouldn't be any strength difference between a 8-41 and a 7-36 for two reasons. 1, less teeth still have to make the same 8.8 circumference circle which means bigger teeth. 2, the 8-41 would mess with a hair more contact surface area but with the 7-36 being slightly thicker per tooth they said there is in comparison no strength difference.

Back