• Register Today It's free!

ford 8.8" strength

MonsterTrac

Reaction score
City, State
Poway, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Hey guys, I was wondering exactly how strong the ford 8.8" rear end is. Im currently running 35X12.5" thornbirds so Im already putting alot of stress on the axle. I just finished my front suspension, and Im about to do my rear, Ill be ending up with about 14" of travel in the rear so Im going to be pounding the axle out in the desert. Im worried about strength. I dont want to waste the money rebuilding my rear axle, if its still not going to be up to the task. The only problem is I have an auto tranny so replacing the rear axle is a major bear because of the VSS sensor my truck uses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll take the 35's fine and if anything all you'll need to do is truss the rear end.

No one sells a truss for my exact truck, Im assuming a truss for an 8.8 out of another truck would work, correct?

The James Duff truss for the 8.8 should work on your axle also. I'd look into that. I was able to fit the 8.8 diff skid plate pretty easily on my Explorer's axle.

I can tell you that I know for a fact an 8.8 will handle up to 38" Swampers. I run 38s for the mud bog here. Now the dana 35 can't handle a 38!!! I have the broken parts to prove it.

If the 8.8 will take that kinda of abuse with 38" tires on it and not snap a single thing. I'm sure your ok.:)

I have a 2X4 with a custom set-up up front, Im not too worried about my front, jsut the rear, This post is reassuring me though. Thanks guys.

BenS - Hey I looked into it and Things aren't looking good for a James Duff axle truss fitting on my sport trac. James Duff makes them for a bronco 8.8 On the bronco the leafs sit on top of the axle, on my truck they sit uunder the axle, Im assuming this could cause problems with clearance for the leaf pack and mounting issues of the rear truss. Also, what is the rear truss made out of, from the picture it looks really dinky in size, how strong is the metal....

Heres some pics :
DSC01777_small.JPG

DSC01774_small.JPG

DSC01794_small.JPG

DSC01787_small.JPG

DSC01772_small.JPG

DSC01781_small.JPG

DSC01784_small.JPG

DSC01784_small.JPG

Whoa! Thats a nice setup you have there!

That's a pretty sweet 'trac there! I wouldn't worry about the 8.8 at all. I've been pounding my rear:D for years with a detroit lockers and have NEVER had even a slight problem. I have a SOA, full detroit, 4.56s and stock axles with many many miles. I would build a truss myself if I were worried about it at all and I just might because I can but not because I'm worried about it. Good luck with your toy.

Thnx for the great responses, also, thanks for the reassurance NOTAJP, glad to hear the 8.8 is built ford tough. :)

If you have 2wd and you are locking your rear... you may have more stress, but 8.8 are commonly swapped into jeeps for their strength. I think someone is making a full floating kit for them... :)

How exactly does a full floating kit work, what are its advantages....

They allow the shock to cycle more fluid, keeping it running cooler, once a shock overheats it loses its power to absorb recoil. resevoirs lengthen the time the shock can be used to its full potential.

The "overheating" theory is new to me. Do you wheel enough to overheat a normal shock? Do you wheel enough to require duals?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wheel enough to definately want them. The truck drove just fine stock. I didnt NEED to do anything to it, but I can get alot more use out of it now.

Back