• Register Today It's free!

ford 8.8

jby1999

Reaction score
City, State
allentown,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
8.8 rear in tj
i got a 99 wrangler i put a ford 8.8 outta a 94 explorer in to replace my forever breaking d35. anyways to my question??
my local 4wd shop (OK 4-wheel drive) told me about this site also told me to foget about quadratec's bbb. anyways got a question bout my rear. i had a 8.8 from a 94 exploder put in my tj. it has drums and 3.73 gearing and a posi. my question is how many spline axles do i got short of takin it apart and looking at it. i bought an arb locker for a 31 spline since my jeep is my daily driver cant afford the down time of having to borrow another vehicle to trade it in for the 28 spline. please help me out the axle tag is as follows
S-6-2-9-E
3L73 8 8 4B15
dont know if that will help u ford guys help find me the info im looking for. i know that 8.8 in rangers are 28 spline and exploreres are 31 but not sure if the drum explorer version is a 31 also. and another question what kinda work is it to convert my drum to a disc setup. i know i need to weld brackets and get rotors and calipers (the hardware) but i dont know if i need to change axles, is there a kit, can i get parts outta a junk yard???? and last but not least do i need to change my proportioning valve??? for discs from drums? i started with 9" drums on a d35 then moved to 11" drums with the explorer 8.8
Help please???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi and welcome to our site!

I'm going to send you over to The Ranger Station because they have tons of info on axle swaps using the Explorer axle. (We don't do too many Explorer axle swaps here ;) ).

Anyway, here is the specific Explorer axle info that may help you out.

Good Luck!

EDIT: If any of you Jeep guys need an 8.8 with discs already on it, I'll be selling mine from my '96 hopefully after this weekend.

All explorer 8.8's had 31 splines... and really, i dont think the drums do that bad of a job fer stopping on these axles...

How big of tires ya goin to, just out of curiosity...

Oh welcome aboard newbie jeeper guy!
thefinger.gif

Most guys here don't mind the good jeepers (non smart ass ****y ones) but alot of them have a problem spelling JEEP... It's like it's writing a sin er somethin to em :rolleyes:

But, all in all, welcome and search, then ask! Most everything possible has been covered!
Pete

Very cool! :thumbsup: The 8.8 will have no problems with those tires!

Welcome to the site JBY!

Glad to see you found us and I hope we're able to help you out.

Just curious, why aren't you simply going for a 95+ axle and have the disc brakes from the get go?

I can set you up with a 95+ axle if your interested, even have a shop put in whatever gears and locker you want. If it's just the axle your interested in, I can get you a good deal on that as well.

Check out Fordracing.com and look for this part number: M-2300-G

It may be what you are looking for, but it doesn't mention spline count. I might know a place that can get this at a fair price.

Here's some good resources (not sure if you've seen them already):
http://members.cox.net/rough-riders/tech_page/ford8.8/ford8_8.html
Dead Link Removed
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/Ford8.8/97.html (good side info)
Here's a good one:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/88swap.htm (check his links at the bottom)

Good luck, I hope all works out and keep us posted on how everything goes!

~Tim

do you happen to be a member of PGH off road? your 8.8 will hold those tires well .... i run 36" tsl's on mine and its locked front and rear and i have had no problems.... the 8.8 is a very strong axel....

i dunno if you asked but your axel code means you have a 3.73 gear ratio with limited slip. but i take it you regeared running 36's

Woah Im very suprised someone over at OK auto knows about this site, Thats real suprising. I live about 25 minutes from OK auto. I was looking at your pics where are they taken? Ive been looking for some other places to wheel. I usually go up to paragon and wheel there but thats about it.

powerline in ashfield pa dont suggest goin there got in trouble past weekend there with east penn twp police sapposedly its private land no postings oh well i got off of the ticket but i wont be goin there anymore. the other place the pics are at is nesquhoning look on mapquest sum rocky mudd up there sum deeper then ud like. anyways i didnt have the resoreces to find a 95 plus axle i already have the 94 :( just need the brackets rotors and calipers with ebrake and ill eb a happy camper dont have teh cores though!

do you still have the D30 up front? How does that hold up? Are you planning a D44 swap at all? You have a very nice looking jeep. Almost makes me want to switch.

Andy

i want pro rock 60 axles but as for now im puttin warn axles and a powertrax up front i held up so far open diff only time will tell with the the locker should hold i wanted an arb but i knew that would blow apart the housing and arb!

hey jby, fellow jeeper here. I just picked up my 8.8 today and im loving it. It looks dead sexy and i cant wait for it to be finished. Mine also has 3.73's and limited slip, its out of a 95 but im not sure what exact model it is. Im very anxious to have 4 wheel disks. I'm only running 33's but will be running 36's when i throw my 3.5 lift with my springover. I'm trying to find a way to get the rearend to work with my ABS system. From what i have heard, the systems are calibrated way different. I am gonna hook up the lines as soon as the shop gets done welding on the leaf mounts for the correct pinon angle. Any tips on getting the brakes to work? I am thinking of going with an adjustable proportioning valve to compensate for the difference.

Heres my weenie 93 YJ with 3.5" lift, and Tj flares, detroit, 4.10s, etc.

uphill1.jpg

uphill3.jpg

Drop me an email at quanno@cox.net if you want some feedback on what im doing for the swap and we can try to help each other out with our swaps.

I just my 8.8 installed yesterday. It took just a few hours to drop the old one and weld new mounts. I dont have the parking brake hooked up yet and I have to figure out how to get ABS to work. The stock Dana35 has a sensor at each end of the axle for ABS and the 8.8 has one sensor on the pumpkin, reading the ring gear i believe. My front ABS are not working since the rear isnt working correctly. If i figure out how to get the ABS to work i'll drop you an email.

thanx but i dont have abs on my jeep and the rear has been in for sum time now if i think hard enough i can vaguely remeber the install i just got done witha york install and im doin gearing and lockers next

Back