How to: - Ford A4LD transmission rebuild diary - How to rebuild Ford A4LD | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Ford A4LD transmission rebuild diary - How to rebuild Ford A4LD

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Allright...newb question. Can you give a brief explanation of how auto trannies work or if you have a website that it explains it or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Glacier991
I am saving this space for a short discussion about snap rings. I am more and more believing that SNAP rings, of all kinds, are somethnig that you should NOT re-use. I have some pix to illustrate this, and I'll add them as soon as I get time.

Considering the relatively low cost of most snap rings vs. the damage that can occur if one fails - I would put reusing them in the "false economy" catagory.

Hey thanks a lot glacier, I really appreciate it. That site is awesome...I've spent all night reading about everything I ever wondered about. Now i just need the experience :)

Final aspect of teardown

Well, as I write this I am already starting into th rebuild, but the onething we didn;t do in this teardwn part of this thread is tear down the pump/bellhousing. No a lot to it. Remove the pump allen head bolts (6mm)

15286Dscn4276-med.jpg

Here's the pump gearset and the pump body once removed

15286Dscn4277-med.jpg

Here's the pump separator plate coming off with the pump removed
15286Dscn4279-med.jpg

And the end of the bellhousing underneath

15286Dscn4280-med.jpg

This was a rebuild... I'll show you in a bit how I know.... but the pump shaft showed ascarsof eccentric rotation (eg lack of beng centered)... I'll post a couple pics hoping to show it... here's the first, see the wear ?

15286Dscn4281-med.jpg

heres the 2nd

15286Dscn4282-med.jpg

And here is the infamous bushing - this one has had some wars... scarred

15286Dscn4284-med.jpg

ok, I had been told this was rebuilt. But I KNEW it was once I had lookd in the bellhousing.
Like rings on a tree, the number of "stake marks" (4 per build) give it away. This seal shows 10 ...equals at least one rebuild.

15286Dscn4286-med.jpg

We will be exchanging the bellhousing for one with a line bored bushing and a new seal.... so with this, the teardown is complete. On the rebuild I will try and show how to DIY parts of the seal and bushing replacement... BUT ....the only right way is to get it line bored.. on this point I AM resolute. Disgree if you like, but GET IT LINE BORED! Or be sorry.

Part 2 continues here:

Back