Ford buy back converstation | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford buy back converstation

The service department called, they are flying an engineer out next week to look at it. In the meantime they want me to pick it up. Getting very close to 30 days now. I’m going to let the engineer look at it then see what he says before opting for a replacement. May take the day off and spend with him, could be fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The service department called, they are flying an engineer out next week to look at it. In the meantime they want me to pick it up. Getting very close to 30 days now. I’m going to let the engineer look at it then see what he says before opting for a replacement. May take the day off and spend with him, could be fun.

That would make for a very interesting day. If they can fix it, I'd still go for a 8/150k esp for free and keep it. YMMV.

So when I worked at Bentley, the Continental GT's were brand new release. They had a problem on one of the first cars where a coolant pump was leaking and the coolant seeped into the wiring harness. It literally wicked it's way through a good majority of the vehicle. You could find coolant residue in the brake light bulb sockets.

So a factory engineer/technician came from England and took the entire car apart to the shell. Replaced every wiring harness in the vehicle and put it all back together. It was a customer car that got bought back by Bentley, and who knows where it ended up afterward. It took a few weeks to complete. Fun to watch.

Some progress....?

I picked up my ST from the dealer yesterday evening. While out in town today the A/C stopped working (blowing hat air) and I was just up the road from the dealer. So I drove it to them so they could get some readings while it was not working. In the end, both the A/C tech and I agree it appears the compressor clutch is simply not getting power when the BCM is commanding it to be on. I think I speculated this a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, there is no relay between the BCM and clutch, its a solid state relay built into the BCM. The dealer says since they started the case with Ford, they have to wait for their instructions, but it appears to just be a faulty BCM that's heat sensitive. This is why it fails once the outside temp is over 95 deg.

Well, off on a road trip this weekend, and I wanted to take the new ST (go figure), but it will stay at home as its no fun to drive 500 miles with no A/C. If its just the BCM and that fixes the issue I will be a happy guy. If they still cant fix it after the Eng is here next week I will take the replacement offer.

Got an overnight letter today confirming the RAV offer to buy back or replacement. Still not sure what "RAV" means, but when they call Ill see if they can find me an exact replacement, time frame, and what all is involved.

Stopped by the Ford Dealership this morning as well, they are still not able to diagnose the issue.

Good to hear you're going to get a replacement !

So they flew out a Ford Engineer who took like 20 min to tell the dealer Tech to change the Hi-Side pressure sensor. The dealer even had one in stock.
giphy.gif

Apparently, when gauges don't match the computer readings that should be taken as a clue. OMG!

So they flew out a Ford Engineer who took like 20 min to tell the dealer Tech to change the Hi-Side pressure sensor. The dealer even had one in stock.
giphy.gif

Apparently, when gauges don't match the computer readings that should be taken as a clue. OMG!

Wow... just wow!!! I think you need to find a new service dept.

And this is why I kept saying not to Lemon it.. a damn simple sensor. I'd still fight Ford for an ESP on their dime for your aggravation and frustration.

So it's fixed??

giphy.gif

Sounds like a new pin point test is going to be added to the service manual.

So it's fixed??

Very likely, the sensor was reading very high which will cause the exact issue presented. How that was not checked or missed the first, second, third, or forth time And the last 20 days it’s been in the shop simply blows my mind.

How Ford did not tell the dealer to do that in the first one or two attempts is surprising. Could have been handled quickly without the expense of flying an engineer in.

I'd be looking for another dealer for future service needs. Wow. Just mystified by this. I think it's a relief for the rest of us to know what happened and it's easily fixed.

Very likely, the sensor was reading very high which will cause the exact issue presented. How that was not checked or missed the first, second, third, or forth time And the last 20 days it’s been in the shop simply blows my mind.

Is it working properly now? If it is that would be the last time I'd bring it to that dealer for service. Yikes.

Is it working properly now? If it is that would be the last time I'd bring it to that dealer for service. Yikes.

Only time will tell for sure, but this time I feel confident it is.

Hope it's not a widespread problem. In my area, it has not hit 95 degrees all summer I believe. I'd hate to find out that I have that problem when it does.

giphy.gif

In a past life, I was flown halfway across the country to check a "faulty" module on an A-10. Actual problem? It wasn't seated in the connector completely. Pull back, push forward, everything works fine. That was an interesting one.

All I am going to say is... thank god for my 8yr/150k esp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think mine is all sorted out now. Not been in the shop for 1 full week, a new record! Starting to drive and enjoy it finally.

Back