Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hughes, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Callsign
KJ7E
So for the third time, mine is back at the dealer for the same A/C issue. The A/C compressor will stop or not engage if the outside air temp is above about 95deg F. This lead to a very miserable hour and a half drive home yesterday though Van Nuys in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic on the 5 freeway, 98 deg outside and the A/C was just a fan blowing hot air.

To make matters worse, Ford will only pay for a Ford rental from Enterprise and of three Enterprise Rental shops, only one POS dirty, smelly, Fiesta was available. Not a happy camper at all.

So, I have had my Explorer now for three and a half weeks, been in the shop three times and for ten of those days (about half). To convey my dismay for the situation I started a conversation with Ford regarding a buy back, more so an exchange for the exact same build. The dealer can reproduce the issue but cant find a problem, they are just shotgunning it and I have very little confidence they WILL find the real culprit. Add to that, I drive about 40K a year, so I'm worried if they don't fix it, it may evade detection until next year when its hot again and then it wont be in warranty any longer. So, I want a replacement or at a minimum proof its fixed and a extension of the warranty.

I should not have to drive a POS smelly Fiesta when I bought a brand new nearly 60K Explorer, nor should I have to own a brand new car that has been torn down and hopefully re-assembled property, thinking dash and all the vibrations that can result. This is the first new Ford I have every purchased, and I'm honestly a bit embarrassed to my wife and friends, how much I talked it up and all its done is been in the shop.

Lets hope its a simple and definitive fix or Ford steps up and and replaces it with one that works. #stillhopeful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was absolutely going nuts waiting for an ST to arrive at our local dealer...until now. There are enough small bugs out there to wave a red flag but your experience has me convinced that I'll wait until next spring.

For what its worth, I believe my issue is unique and I just got unlucky.

For what its worth, I believe my issue is unique and I just got unlucky.

To be honest, just start the RAV process. You will still be able to drive it till a new one comes in. And your dealer should be able to locate one for you or one that is in the order banks to be built.

You should not have any penalties either for mileage with how new it is. The process is in your manual and I'd jump on it now as it can take several months.

Not sure why they are not replacing the AC compressor at this point.

I was absolutely going nuts waiting for an ST to arrive at our local dealer...until now. There are enough small bugs out there to wave a red flag but your experience has me convinced that I'll wait until next spring.

This is definitely a 1 off issue and wouldn't have any concerns about this issue on a different ST.

More and more I think about it, I bet the issue is an overheating coil with an open in the winding. Either the A/C clutch relay or the A/C clutch magnet. When it gets hot, the housing expands the the winding open and dis-engages. Should be simple for them to see if the BCM is sending the signal to engage the compressor and then verify if the magnet has power.

Well, 7 more days in the shop has passed. Spoke to the Ford rep who is handling my case and the service manager at the local dealership today. They still cant find anything to fix but confirm the A/C fails if its warm outside. The dealership is at the mercy of Ford as they are directing them what to test and what data to send back to Ford. The Ford rep is to call me Monday with an update, I'm pressuring the rep hard now for a replacement vehicle. I bought the truck July 22nd and its been in the shop now for 15 days and they still don't know whats wrong.

Well, 7 more days in the shop has passed. Spoke to the Ford rep who is handling my case and the service manager at the local dealership today. They still cant find anything to fix but confirm the A/C fails if its warm outside. The dealership is at the mercy of Ford as they are directing them what to test and what data to send back to Ford. The Ford rep is to call me Monday with an update, I'm pressuring the rep hard now for a replacement vehicle. I bought the truck July 22nd and its been in the shop now for 15 days and they still don't know whats wrong.

I'd actually keep my mouth shut and let the dealer take their time. You only need 15 more days for lemon law in CA. If you really want a new vehicle, dont press the issue till day 30 and then bam, you can go after them.

I mean, how many possible things could it be? I dont think AC issues are really that complicated.

Why they cannot replace the whole A/C system? Maybe they will later if they don't find the cause.

I'd actually keep my mouth shut and let the dealer take their time. You only need 15 more days for lemon law in CA. If you really want a new vehicle, dont press the issue till day 30 and then bam, you can go after them.

I mean, how many possible things could it be? I dont think AC issues are really that complicated.

Yeah, I’ve considered that. But at the same time I’d like to have the vehicle I bought and not a rental. The 30days thing is not a hard rule, it just makes things easier.

Why they cannot replace the whole A/C system? Maybe they will later if they don't find the cause.

They suspect it’s computer related, bad software. But I’m not seeing others report this issues.

They suspect it’s computer related, bad software. But I’m not seeing others report this issues.

Maybe a faulty module.. but still, there cant be many parts involved.

It's is not fair for you. You lost so much time with your ST and who knows how long. You should ask your dealership for some kind of compensation. Maybe points on Fordpass.

Bad software could be an incomplete install, a corrupted memory module, a shorted connection, bad ground, pretty much anything. Engineering for Ford should want as much data as they can get and is probably trying to figure out if this is a systematic issue or just a one off thing. They should give you a loaner until this is fixed or replaced.

Not an AC expert but has anyone looked in the back seat...the AC hardware and software controlling the rear AC...Just thinking.

@dstewart51

Start the Lemon Law procedure - you got a Lemon...

This is why you NEVER buy a brand new model/redesign when it comes out. I generally wait until a model has been out 2 years and let them work out the bugs.

This is why you NEVER buy a brand new model/redesign when it comes out. I generally wait until a model has been out 2 years and let them work out the bugs.

I don't think that would have helped in my case. Something was just amiss off the assembly line with this sample, not necessarily a design flaw related to the new model.

@dstewart51

Start the Lemon Law procedure - you got a Lemon...

Working on it. If they can find the fault, prove to me it was the fault and it does not require tearing down the truck to fix it, I would accept it back. So far the dealer working with Ford service hotline, cant find the fault. I was told Friday mid morning they were to have a diagnosis by the end of the day Friday, but that did not happen. I've told the Dealer and the Ford Factory rep both the same thing and was quite clear, if I get this one back and I have to take it in again for the same issue, I wont accept anything other than a replacement vehicle and will do what ever is necessary (lawyer) to make that happen. The Ford Factory rep is to call me Monday with an update. If they cant find a fault by end of this week that will also push me over the edge and demand a replacement.

I don't think its a major issue, its just they don't know what the issue is and I have no confidence at this point they will fix it. If they don't know how to fix it, that should not be my problem, they have had three chances and plenty of time. Give me one that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Working on it. If they can find the fault, prove to me it was the fault and it does not require tearing down the truck to fix it, I would accept it back. So far the dealer working with Ford service hotline, cant find the fault. I was told Friday mid morning they were to have a diagnosis by the end of the day Friday, but that did not happen. I've told the Dealer and the Ford Factory rep both the same thing and was quite clear, if I get this one back and I have to take it in again for the same issue, I wont accept anything other than a replacement vehicle and will do what ever is necessary (lawyer) to make that happen. The Ford Factory rep is to call me Monday with an update. If they cant find a fault by end of this week that will also push me over the edge and demand a replacement.

I don't think its a major issue, its just they don't know what the issue is and I have no confidence at this point they will fix it. If they don't know how to fix it, that should not be my problem, they have had three chances and plenty of time. Give me one that works.

Don't know the issue? Can't find the fault? You probably will not even qualify for a Lemon Law. They have to make like 3 repair attempts for you to even start a Lemon Law.

Back