• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Ford CDs

TheJackal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mandeville, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XL 2WD
Who here has one? Do the wiring diagrams work?

When I open up the window to see the diagrams, I get a script error. The Workshop Manual works fine tho.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

TheJackal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mandeville, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XL 2WD
The error message states this: Line 248 Character 3
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]'(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

This is the 1996-1999 DVD, February 2003 edition. It has been installed properly on 3 different systems now all with the same results. I thought it might have had something to do with Access 07 being installed on the first two machines so I installed it again on a Win2k machine with Office 2k installed. Still the same issue. I also tried copying the contents of the DVD to the HDD and editing the INI file, but that didn't help either. I know for a fact that database connections via ODBC are working properly on at least one of these machines.

ODBC configuration shows the Microsoft Access Driver installed, but that apparently isn't the issue. Do I need to create a new DSN? But what to call it?

Glad I managed to get this without spending any money on it. If this is the kind of stuff they send out, no wonder why my dealer can't fix anything. :confused:

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
I have the single year CD's for both 97 and 99. They cover all Ford trucks, but only for a given year. I bought both from Ebay. The wiring diagram works fine, the only thing that doesn't work is the TSB section.

I never tried to download any of the ISO images since I already have the ones I need.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
If you can not get the MDB connection working: the interface is just a front end to the info. The real meat and potatos are I think PDFs so if you absolutely need information, you can browse the PDFs on the CD.

TheJackal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mandeville, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XL 2WD
No PDF files on the CD. I opened one of the MDB files in Access and the database appears to reference some TIFF files, but there aren't any on the disc. Either this disc isn't complete or the program extracts those files from something else when it goes to load them.

bryan the robot man

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 triumph daytona 675
Almost 10 years to the day! Let's get this necromancy started; allow me to explain with a story:

My brother's 04 Grand Marquis has a no start problem. Turn the key and he gets 9V at the starter relay coil. Also the turn signals don't work. So naturally I told him "hey, get the wiring diagram and trace it out!", so he replies "There is no wiring diagram, I've looked everywhere". I link him a few ebay things and he hems and haws about the 15$ so I go on a mission - that's when I find the above DVD's with all possible ford information anyone could want. I download the files thinking that I'm gonna supply a wiring diagram and be the hero. Thats when I get the "[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]'(unknown)' is not a valid path. <blah blah>" error.

Fun fact ford forum friends: this thread is the most informative hit on google regarding that error.

So I read a bit more about this type of error and some internet person suggests "it only works on windows 98". So I spend some time installing a windows 98 virtual machine, spin it up and BAM - same error. Now I'm extra pissed so I start digging through the files that make this software tick. At its most basic this software is a glorified website - it uses html, java script and asp to call activex controls to access a database. I dig hard and I find the most glaring of errors:
strConnect = "DBQ=" + strRoot + "databases\\" + strThisMarket + "\\" + <blah blah>

It's not obvious upon inspection, but having spent an hour or so rooting around I knew for a fact all the database files are kept in a directory on the CD called "DATABASE", not "DATABASES".

Long story short this error is replicated three times in the code, here's how to fix this software:

The default install is to C:\TSO, I will assume default paths. If you were smart enough to change the path you are smart enough to figure this out without explicit paths.

Open the file C:\TSO\TSODIALOG\wiring_sql.js in notepad
search for databases, you should hit a line (line 154 in my disc) that looks like:
Code:
strConnect  = "DBQ=" + strRoot + "databases\\" + strThisMarket + "\\" + strThisLanguage + "\\" + strThisBook + ".mdb;DefaultDir=D:\\;Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;ImplicitCommitSync=Yes;MaxBufferSize=512;MaxScanRows=8;PageTimeout=5;SafeTransactions=0;Threads=3;UID=admin;UserCommitSync=Yes;"
change the "databases\\" to "database\\"
search for databases one more time, you'll get line 243 (in mine anyways) which looks identical to the above
save the file and quit.

Open the file C:\TSO\ASP\edirect.asp
search for databases, you should find a line (line 434 in mine) that reads:
Code:
strDatabase = strRoot + "databases\\" + strCMarket + "\\" + strCLanguage + "\\" + strBook + ".mdb";
save the file and quit.

The software now works.

//necromancy.

Thank y'all for indulging me.

anotherPassword

Reaction score
City, State
Wylie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
Confirmed, this also works for the 1996-1999 Service Information DVD iso.
Factory service manual for 96-99 anything Ford. Thanks!!!!!

anotherPassword

Reaction score
City, State
Wylie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
Actually, just noticed you will have to change it in C:\TSO96\tsodialog\serv_wd_com.htm to get components and connectors working, at least on the 96-99 service manual that is the case.