• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Ford Cupholder Ash / Coin Cup Insert with Lighter

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
West Coast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I'm putting a console vault in my 2013 XLT and by doing so it appears I lose the ability to run a cable from the power outlet out of the console through those little channels. I run a cable to my wireless cell phone charger which is part of my RAM Mount.

I see that Ford offers two ashtray / coin holder inserts for the cup holders and one includes a cigarette lighter. There are few details on the Ford accessories site about them. The part numbers are 5L82-7804810-BAA (with lighter) and the same number but ending in AAA without lighter.

Has anyone tried one of these? Does anyone know what's involved in wiring up the one with a lighter? Having an alternate power outlet would be nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I haven't done that, but what I did was take a Dremel to the door up front, so that the cable could pass through with it shut. Just a few touches on the edge, on the underside, so it's not visible with it closed.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I haven't done that, but what I did was take a Dremel to the door up front, so that the cable could pass through with it shut. Just a few touches on the edge, on the underside, so it's not visible with it closed.
There is a picture on here somewhere like that. I also thought that one of the model years had that slot in the lid from the factory. Could be wrong though.

Peter

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
West Coast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I'm pretty sure I can open a nice route for cabling through the "Microsoft" lid but I'd really like to see the instructions on the ash / coin holder to determine how it all goes together, especially the power outlet / cig lighter.

ExpCupInsert.jpg

TimPK

Reaction score
City, State
Dedham Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
You can still use the power outlet in the console with the console vault although you will have to unplug it when you want to open the console vault.
The outlet sits above the console vault.

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
West Coast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
You can still use the power outlet in the console with the console vault although you will have to unplug it when you want to open the console vault.
The outlet sits above the console vault.

Oh, OK. I misunderstood, I thought it was below the closed lid of the vault. I can live with unplugging before accessing. Thanks.