Ford customer service :Rant | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Ford customer service :Rant

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
First off maybe I am wrong here, but here goes anyways:

Our 2005 Ford Escape XLT has had a problem with the parking brake not being adjusted properly since we bought it last July.

Today my wife asked to get it adjusted...$150 dollars and not covered under warranty. Warranty is 36,000 miles or 36 months. We have had it for 18,000 and 18 months.

Anyhoo, both the dealer and the 800 number for Ford said they can do nothing for me.

I responded with the following:

ME:"So if the parking brake cable were to break, you would cover the replacement of this under warranty AND when you fixed it you would have to proplery adjust the parking brake right?"

Service Guy:"Yes sir, that is covered under warranty."

ME:"Okay so, when it breaks tonight, I can bring it back next week to you so you can then replace the cable and make sure that the new cable is properly adjusted."

Service Guy:"Yes, because we would be replacing it."

ME:"So you are willing to write-off the parts to replace it and the additional labor to replace AND adjust your new install, but not willing to just do a simple adjustment?"

Service Guy:"We can't do the adjustment because it is not under warranty. If the cable breaks, then we will cover that because it is under warranty."

Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
I would talk to another local dealer, or try to talk to the service manager and if that fails to the dealers customer service rep.

The Ford 1-800 number is great, they write down your complaint, then call the dealership you are having trouble with, then they take the dealerships side.
Waste of time.

Try another local dealer.
The parking brake is broken IMO, does it hold the truck on an incline? if it does not then it is broken and they should fix it under warranty. Denying you this simple adjustment is just stupid, they could get rid of you faster by just performing the fix.

Dont go away, that is what they want you to do.

Perhaps another stealership in your area would be more helpful?
I assume this is the dealership you purchased the car from? They are idiots if they dont adjust this for free, lose a customer over this?

CaptainObvious

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
WTF? There has to be more to this story. No dealer in his right mind would charge that. How hard would it be to fix.

Brian_B

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mountain Home, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty / 56 f-100
Don't doubt it too much. Took mine in for the seat bolt recall. They didn't fix it. They said the track was screwed. Wanted $180 to fix it.

I had just bought the X and there was nothing wrong with the power seats! Nothing wrong anywhere!

All it was was the seat belt thing was caught on the slide. Those idiots will never touch my vehicle again. No way will I ever set foot in the local stealership again.

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
CaptainObvious said:
WTF? There has to be more to this story. No dealer in his right mind would charge that. How hard would it be to fix.

Scouts honor, there is nothing else to this story. He said $150 to adjust the parking brake.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Well considering most dealers its $100 just to look at it, meaning to pull it into the shop and look at it, those prices are not that high. IN denver the shop rate is like $78 an hour right now, so 1/2 hour of work = $140 easy.

Adjust it yourself in their parking lot, then light up the rear tires as you leave :) hahaha
jerks, or park the Escape on a hill pointing toward the shop, let the E brake "hold" it in place and be like "I told you it was broken" when it rolls into the service managers car.....

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Took my explorer in for the bolt with the recall leter. Dropped it off and they call with A BILL. I laughed. They wanted to charge me $80 bucks to do it because my warranty was up?? I got into it with the service tech (we were about to fight), grabbed my keys and drove out casually. Haven't heard or been back since.

UtahX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Junction, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
So far I've had some good experience's with my dealer. They told me about the recall and fixed it no problem. Maybe there setting me up for something, LOL

blichy

Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Explorer Sport
Call the 1-800 # again to speak with someone else. We had to do that with our Mazda because outside door handle wasn't working front passenger-side door. A clip had come loose inside the door, and it fell under "adjustment" which isn't covered under warranty. After enough complaints, they ended up reimbursing us for the repair cost and cost of rental (they have free loaner car for warranty work). Being very vocal in the dealership when they are busy sometimes helps too--potential buyers and other customers don't like to hear how they won't help the customer out or stand behind the product for safety-related warranty work.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Not all dealers service dept will give you the run around all the time, dont get me wrong. Some of the best guys I know are at the local dealer. But it definatley varies from dealer to dealer. Also a service dept can turn around in a couple years and be completely different....new manager perhaps?