NEWPORTNJ

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER
ST.
I know this is a Ford Explorer forum, but my wife is driving me nuts. Well I want to buy her a Ford Escape titanium she wants the Crv can you guy feed in so that I can make up my mind. K9 please don’t punish me for doing this in the Ford forum...!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My father has a CRV.. he likes it. It is very blah... has the 4 cylinder that sounds like a very tiny engine. Did I mention he is 72? Lol.

Go Escape all the way. If you want blah design, CRV is the way to go. I don't even like the interior.

I know I'm not much help.. happy wife, happy life but I would never buy a CRV. I truly believe people buy Honda's because they still have the mental thought that they are far more reliable then any other. Which that is just not the case any more. Back in the 80s and 90s, sure. . But the worst of the worst now are far better then the best of the 80s. Times have changed, people just don't want to believe it.

That's why IMO toyota and Lexus still continue to sell their vehicles with their God awful front ends.. those front grills . Ughh.. have you seen the prius?

We’ve got a 2017 Escape SE 4WD (1.5 Ecoboost) in our garage and my sister drives a similar 2016 AWD CR-V. From my perspective, the CR-V is a little bit more of a station wagon than even the very car like Escape. Ground clearance is reduced, for example. You’d think maybe this would mean the CR-V would also ride more like a car, but we prefer the ride in our Escape. Cargo space is about the same, with us noticing it is a tad easier to fit wide objects in the CR-V, but a tad easier to fit long objects in the Escape (with the seats down). The Escape feels less cheap, has a few higher notch features at the price we both paid (but the Escape had incentives), and at that time the CR-V was a little long in the tooth. We’ve had an easier time with what little service we’ve needed, since Honda dealers are less widespread in our area. Fuel economy isn’t as good on the Escape.

Personally, if I were driving it, I’d buy the Escape. I did. They’re similar in price and features, both are quality vehicles, but the Escape is a little higher off the ground and feels a little less cheap to me. But, if your wife really wants that CR-V, you won’t be driving it much, and you live in an area with a good Honda dealer, I might defer that argument and let her have the car she wants, in the absence of a compelling reason for the Escape. Do you have a compelling reason?

I have been a Ford guy since 1998, I love them. I want my wife to get the Escape for many reasons. The Escape has more safety features than the CRV, which is why i want her to get it. I want to buy it she drive about 2k- 3k per year and if i take care i=of it like i do to my personal car it should last about 8 years or more. I will be going to the dealer next week and do some numbers and see what happens beside the CRV is like every where here in Jersey. Well lets see what happens. I will keep all updated in the out come. HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE....

We have a 2.0L Escape in the family, and we love it. Had I known the dramas with my Explorer, I'd have gotten an Escape instead.

Haven't driven the latest CR-V so I can't compare it, though.

Escape has my full endorsement. Especially in 2.0L trim, if you can go that route. Auto-start stop is standard, but works extremely well in that vehicle.

Just traded in my '13 Escape Titanium for my '17 Explorer. The Escape moves and handles like very well, basically like a tall Focus (which is the frame it's built on) The CRV will probably get better milage, because the Escape always starts off in AWD from a stop. I loved the Escape, it was just too small in the cargo area for me. My mother bought a '17 and it has served her well so far through two Maine winters.

NewportNJ maybe I can help you tip the scales a little towards the ford. I'm retired ford and can give you an X plan pin number. That will get you the ford a little below invoice. They can't charge you dealer prep either. So let me know and can get you the pin number today. You also get all rebates in affect when you buy it.

PS My wife is from West new York NJ.

NewportNJ maybe I can help you tip the scales a little towards the ford. I'm retired ford and can give you an X plan pin number. That will get you the ford a little below invoice. They can't charge you dealer prep either. So let me know and can get you the pin number today. You also get all rebates in affect when you buy it.

Yes. I would love to take you up on the plan. I will send you my info in private.

Show her Android Auto or Apple Car Play, show her the interior of both and the integration of heated cooled seats heated steering wheel AA and CP. Rent one this weekend and the other one next weekend and let her drive them around her normal routes. I am a big believer in renting a car or truck or suv before buying it. The best SUV for her will shine the other will not. Test drives are never long enough. Remember the engine in the rental may not be the same one one are looking at buying, so you will have to know which engine is in the rental. After that look at the cost of owner ship.
Normal stuff like battery what is the cost to replace
Oil and filter
Tires
Belts
Alternators
Internal belts what mileage and how much
front and rear wiper blades
past recalls and how long they took to correct

The basic layout of the drivers seat and comfort to the main driver.

Good Luck

Dean- I sent you the requested info for the X Plan. Thank you.

I think you are confusing your plans since you get Z plan.

Xplan is not below invoice until you hit about the $65k mark of sticker (due to the % formula discount on msrp). You will be about $100 over invoice give or take. Granted there is not a lot of markup on Escapes so it is hard to get below invoice on them.

You are also charged a $100 documentation fee by the dealer (allowed but capped at $100) and a $275 admin fee (xplan rules).

So without having to negotiate, you are $100 over invoice plus $375 in fees less any rebates plus tax and title.

Example

2018 Escape SEL 4x4
MSRP $31,345.00
Invoice $29,975
Xplan $30,166.00

Xplan is $191.00 over invoice plus $100 doc fee and $275 admin fee.

NewportNJ,

As you can see, there is only about $1,400 between sticker and invoice.. not much room to negotiate so Xplan is nice in this case. On the Superduties, many get several thousand under Xplan so it's not really a good plan if you know how to negotiate.

But being the doc and admin fees are limited, it can help protect you from the $499-$799 ridiculous fees some dealers try to charge. It's a, here is my code, this is what I pay, thank you and get me the paperwork to sign.

Also, keep in mind if you buy a Ford, I can get you the ESP at cost if you want to go that route.

Dean- I sent you the requested info for the X Plan. Thank you.

Curious, if you are looking at CRV territory, why not look at an edge?

I will look at the EDGE and the M K C on Monday.
I think the Edge is more comparable to the MKX while the MKC would compare to the Escape. The MKX will be redesigned for 2019 as the Nautilus. A vehicle I'll be looking at next.

Peter

I think the Edge is more comparable to the MKX while the MKC would compare to the Escape. The MKX will be redesigned for 2019 as the Nautilus. A vehicle I'll be looking at next.

Peter
Yes. I will be looking at the Nautilus for my self also. I will be going to the dealer tomorrow and see what she likes and which one our pocket can reach too. We have a 2001 bow 330i with 68k miles but it has been given nothing but hell to us. so we will be dumping it this week. NO MORE BMW FOR ME EVER !!!!

Update. I decided to go with the 2018 Escape Titanium fully loaded with plan and all other rebate. Monthly 375.00 with taxes upfront. Pick up Saturday. Thank to all for you advise.

Hope you love it as much as we love ours. Good purchase.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back