Ford explorer 1992 window problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer 1992 window problem

Geert

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer
Hi, I have a ford explorer from 1992.This summer the electric windows suddenly started to fail one after another.The windows are going down but are not going up.the windowmotors are working.I checked the battery,voltage and current, and its ok.I dont think it is a problem of the regulators because it happened with the 4 windows one after another in short time.can anyone help me out on this.thank you and best regards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The plastic bushings in the motors may have begun to disintegrate. Very common, easy to fix, and inexpensive.

Check the 'sticky's at the top of the forum. There's a great on replacing the bushings.

Window problems

Hi, I have a ford explorer from 1992.This summer the electric windows suddenly started to fail one after another.The windows are going down but are not going up.the windowmotors are working.I checked the battery,voltage and current, and its ok.I dont think it is a problem of the regulators because it happened with the 4 windows one after another in short time.can anyone help me out on this.thank you and best regards
I have red the sticky and I will check the bushings but it seems strange all the 4 of them broke down in 1 month....

That does seem strange but I can almost guarantee it's the bushings. Did you recently purchase the car? It could be that it's the 1st time the windows have been rolled up or down in a long time and the problem has been there, it's just manifesting itself now that the windows are being used.

That does seem strange but I can almost guarantee it's the bushings. Did you recently purchase the car? It could be that it's the 1st time the windows have been rolled up or down in a long time and the problem has been there, it's just manifesting itself now that the windows are being used.
I have the car for 5 years now and the windows were working perfect untill 2 months ago.maybe usefull to know is that i am living in the south of spain and the car has been outside in the full sun for 1 month before the problem occured.

Summer heat!

Mine all failed at the same time as well. Once they get to that point they just dry out a crumble.

What failed on mine where the rubber bushings that guide the window up the rail. It's been some time, don't recall if there were two or four per back window.

I manually adjusted them and the windows worked great again, but the little bushings just popped back out of place. They end up pinching against the rail.

I've not seen replacement bushings in any help section. The ones I'm talking about are not part of the motor, but part of the guide.

You have to remove the window motors in the doors (see 'sticky' guide) take off the cover to the motor and clean out all of the bits of disintegrated plastic bushing. Re-grease it and put 3 new bushings per motor. The hardest parts (and they're not that hard) is installing the bushings (it's a tight fit) and re-installing the motors (limited visibility).

These are the type of bushings you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Ford-Lin...Kit-/400976140477?hash=item5d5c0a58bd&vxp=mtr

DON'T purchase metal bushings. These will destroy your motor. They are designed to be plastic so they're the weakest link if something binds up!

You have to remove the window motors in the doors (see 'sticky' guide) take off the cover to the motor and clean out all of the bits of disintegrated plastic bushing. Re-grease it and put 3 new bushings per motor. The hardest parts (and they're not that hard) is installing the bushings (it's a tight fit) and re-installing the motors (limited visibility).

These are the type of bushings you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Ford-Lin...Kit-/400976140477?hash=item5d5c0a58bd&vxp=mtr

DON'T purchase metal bushings. These will destroy your motor. They are designed to be plastic so they're the weakest link if something binds up!
Is there any drawing available from the inside of the door (explorer 92)?

This was the thread that I used to fix mine.

I would not mess around with some of the homemade bush remedies and just get the proper ones. Pay attention to the hole you have to drill out to get at one of the bolts! Other than that it is a very easy job.

This was the thread that I used to fix mine.

I would not mess around with some of the homemade bush remedies and just get the proper ones. Pay attention to the hole you have to drill out to get at one of the bolts! Other than that it is a very easy job.

Ok.thanks a lot everybody.next week I will try it out...

Ok.thanks a lot everybody.next week I will try it out...

Hi everybody,I changed the bushings from the 4windowmotors and now the windows are working perfect again.muchas gracias!

Excellent! Always a nice feeling !

this person's problem is solved, but for anyone else....

I had the same problem- window would go down but not up. the motor was working, I could hear it running good and strong. ok, now listen.. im not a mechanic. so I cant name parts and whatnot. car parts I cant identify are thingamabobs, doohickies, gadgets, and contraptions.

anyway, after I figured out how to take the window motor out, I plugged it back in and hit the switch. the metal gear on the motor that grabs the metal gear doohickie that is attached to the bottom part of the glass that makes the window go up... that metal gear on the motor was spinning so I couldn't understand why it wouldn't work.

so then I took the motor apart- and it was full of grease and plastic contraptions. (if you take your motor apart- pay super close attention where everything is- and watch for springs that may fly out of it!) among the heavy grease that was obviously chunks and bits of plastic from the gears. the plastic parts had worn on one another and became stripped. I tried several things to make it work again... I wont waste time with what DIDNT work...

here is how I fixed it:
I took all the round shaped plastic gear parts out of it, and the metal gear that you can see on the outside part of the motor. took them to the kitchen and scrubbed off all the grease til it was clean and dry. then.... I applied hot glue and glued them all together into one piece. I put the motor back together the way I found it (after I located the spring that flew out of it) and re-installed it in the door. SUCCESS! (after all day of trial and error).

(there is a gear in there shaped like a corkscrew which turns a round gear that you will need to remove in order to glue it to the other round gear. neither of those gears should be stripped or broken, but if they are, I guess youll have to get a new motor unless some kind of rebuild kit is available?)

now, if you replicate my repair job, when you take your motor apart and you see the round shaped gear parts that move the metal gear on the outside of the motor- you will notice that these plastic parts are designed to work like a ratchet so that if you continue to roll up or down the window beyond its limits- it will ratchet so the motor wont strain and nothing breaks. when you glue it- make sure it looks just like it did when you took it apart- with the round metal plate (that screws secure it to the rest of the motor housing) between the plastic gears and the metal gear. and don't use too much glue. don't let it ooze all over the place.

so if you replicate my repair, don't roll your window up or down too hard. I didn't want to risk finding out what would happen if I did... you shouldn't either. im just careful not to roll it up or down too much- and ive had no problems since.

good advice for a cheap/free repair.... IF the motor works

Back