FORD EXPLORER 1993 & 1996 ? Question Gas & 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FORD EXPLORER 1993 & 1996 ? Question Gas & 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn,NY - Newfoundland,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hello Ford Enthusiasts , its been a while now, Happy to say ive had a joy riding my Ford's/Explorere's , I Couldnt ask for more.

Unfortunately I wanted to inform you guys that my first car my 1996 Ford Explorer went for a tumble. :roll:
Right after christmas as i changed my the locations for where i worked at, Night work.

With that said, And me saying what a joy ive had , I decided to buy a new ford Explorer.

With little time to buy a new car since i was working and needed a ride, I went for what i could find at the quickest time, Witch was the next day basically.

What i bought was a 1993 Ford Explorer Sport.

Im more of a newer type of car person, So i miss my 96 explorer xlt.
But that was a beast, My new 93 car is a monster in disguise.

It was in good condition , running wise, But as interior and work, Thats another story.

So lets get to it and let me explain what i had questions about.

1. My 1996 Ford Explorer xlt was totaled, The body damage was so bad that i could not get it registered but i want to sell for scrap/parts.

I Have a full tank of gas still and do not wana sell it till i take it out, Unfortunely i do not have a lift, and i life in dirt/mud road so its hard to do much underneth , But i still will if i have to.

I tried to siphon the gas but there seems to be a screen or something blocking it.

What are my best options in removing my left over gas ?

I was thinking if i had to i can remove the tire and get to the tank and try disconnect it.

Or i was thinking i could Puncture a hole directly under the tank so that the gas flows out into a pan or gas can. ( what are chances of causing a fire)

2. Since i have a 1993 explorer Sport now, That still needs work inside, as far as i know.
Are there any parts that might be interchangable or worth taking off my 1996 Ford explorer xlt for my 1993 Ford explorer Sport?

3. Everything is gravy with the running condition of my 1993 Ford Explorer Sport, Except for one thing.
My 4x4 :mad:
I bought a new computer that plugs in the back near the window fluid But with no luck.

I hear a small clicking sound coming from the computer, and am wondering if this is normal or if anything else has had this issue with there 4x4.
The lights near the automatic 4x4 switches do not turn on, and the computers have a reset switch that does turn on But still no luck.

Is it possible the motor does not work and does not engage from the cpu ?

What can i do, what opinions and help can u guys give me on the my problemos ? lol

Thank You.

P.s. I will upload pics next time to show u my new car and the damage done to the old car.
I cant upload directly from my computer so i have to upload to a website first.

1. You can unscrew the hose clamp holding the gas tank filler hose to the back of the filler neck (the thing you put the fuel nozzle into at the gas station). Pull the hose off, try to stick the sipon hose in there. If that doesn't work, loosen the other hose clamp at the top rear of the tank, take that hose off, and stick the siphon hose directly into the tank.

2. Lots of interior parts work. Just about everything except the dash/gauges. Of course, some interior parts made for a 4 door won't fit a 2 door Sport.

3. Common problems, either the transer case shift motor needs to be fixed (there's a thread on here about how to do that cheap and easy), or the electric shift module has corrosion from age and needs to be cleaned/fixed (there's a thread on here about that too).

Enjoy your new awesome ride!

Back