Ford Explorer 2001 transmission leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 2001 transmission leak

Marcus scanes

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer 4.6
hi im new to the forum and have recently bought a Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition.
I have just noticed a drop of what looks and smells like transmission oil.
Just wondering if this may be a common problem with these models? Also if it's an easy fix
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Marcus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi im new to the forum and have recently bought a Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition.
I have just noticed a drop of what looks and smells like transmission oil.
Just wondering if this may be a common problem with these models? Also if it's an easy fix
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Marcus

Transmission oil is typically pink in color (unless it's so dirty that it's brown or black). Pull out the trans dipstick and see what color the oil is.

I've never noticed that trans fluid had a particular smell. So I'm not sure what you're seeing. Only way to know what it is and where it's coming from is to crawl under there and see. If you have a V8 they tend to leak engine oil from the rear main seal, then it drips onto the catalytic converter. Pretty common issue and not a cheap or easy fix.

As far as it being an easy fix, I suppose that will depend on what/where it's leaking from.

Dear Mr. Marcus, leaks of various fluids are very common, especially in older and not-so-well maintained vehicles. Depending on your vehicle (of which we know next to nothing), it could be engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, and, if you happen to have a 4-wheel drive model, even transfer case fluid or front differential oil. If you want someone to help, you need to be a lot more specific: for example, do you have a manual or an automatic transmission? (the latter would use transmission fluid, not oil), is it a 2-wheel or a 4-wheel drive, under what part of the vehicle did you see the leak, did you crawl underneath to see where approximately it's coming from, did you notice low level of any fluid? And finally, your signature line says "2001 Eddie Bauer 4.6". I don't believe there was a 4.6L engine available on a 2001 Explorer - at least not in the US. Is that an export model per chance?

Dear Mr. Marcus, leaks of various fluids are very common, especially in older and not-so-well maintained vehicles. Depending on your vehicle (of which we know next to nothing), it could be engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, and, if you happen to have a 4-wheel drive model, even transfer case fluid or front differential oil. If you want someone to help, you need to be a lot more specific: for example, do you have a manual or an automatic transmission? (the latter would use transmission fluid, not oil), is it a 2-wheel or a 4-wheel drive, under what part of the vehicle did you see the leak, did you crawl underneath to see where approximately it's coming from, did you notice low level of any fluid? And finally, your signature line says "2001 Eddie Bauer 4.6". I don't believe there was a 4.6L engine available on a 2001 Explorer - at least not in the US. Is that an export model per chance?

I'm assuming it's probably a 4.0L V6, or a 5.0L V8 in a '01 EB. If it's a V8 it must be an automatic trans and either AWD or RWD. I don't know if the EB was offered in a manual trans even with the V6, but I could be wrong.

Hi thanks for information so far.
A little more info on car, it is a Japanese import so right hand drive, a 4.6 v8 Eddie Bauer edition 4WD automatic.
The drop of oil is to the back of engine bay around the center of the passenger side of car and oil is clear looking with a slight oily feel to it and a sort of hydraulic kind of smell to it.
Since first posting have had a message on dash saying oil pressure low.

Hi thanks for information so far.
A little more info on car, it is a Japanese import so right hand drive, a 4.6 v8 Eddie Bauer edition 4WD automatic.
The drop of oil is to the back of engine bay around the center of the passenger side of car and oil is clear looking with a slight oily feel to it and a sort of hydraulic kind of smell to it.
Since first posting have had a message on dash saying oil pressure low.
First, for your own safety make sure it's not brake fluid that is dripping - check the level in the reservoir. If it's a bit low, add to the line and see if it's going down in a day or two. Second, for the engine's sake, do not drive a vehicle with the low oil pressure indication on. Most likely it's just a defective sender, but if the pressure is truly low, you will destroy the engine very quickly. In fact, in most cases low oil pressure is an indication of an already worn engine. Take it to a mechanic to measure the real oil pressure.
Whatever fluid is dripping under your engine compartment may or may not have anything to do with the above two. Put a piece of paper under the vehicle and look at the color of the fluid. If it's red or orange, that's transmission fluid, possibly from a loose connection or rusted transmission cooling line. Steering fluid will have hydraulic smell too, but it's unlikely to drip around the back of the engine. Check the level in the reservoir, top, and see if it drops over time. You wrote that your Explorer is a 4WD, so it could be a leak from the front differential pinion seal, which is quite common. Crawl underneath and take a look at the spot where the front driveshaft enters the differential.

Back