Ford Explorer 2003 Puddle Light Replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 2003 Puddle Light Replacement

Guys, I know I post this again and again, but Im hoping new/different members will see this. For 2003 Explorers. The Puddle Lights under the Side view mirrors! How do I replace the bulbs? ARGGHH!!! I've tried goin to the dealer, but they havent been much help. (Funny right?) There are no visible Torx Screws like the old explorers. Do i have to take my friggin door apart? HALP!!!!

So what bulbs are you guys using besides the original? Definitely need to upgrade to a LED to get that bright.

Man, I replaced these with LED lights in my 04 Explorer, I forgot to make a video......
I've also changed my dash panel lights to BLUE LED.... Again... no video.. I suck.

At a risk of reviving an old thread, I also just replaced my original 2003 Explorer puddle lights which were both miraculously working with the 194 equivalent LED. This was super informative as it is not very intuitive. I would have tried to just manhandle the bulb out from under the mirror instead of popping out the assembly.

Now if I could only speak so kindly about the almost 20 year old plastic lens covers One already had departed and is in Ford broke part graveyard right now. The other came out but busted the retaining clips so it wouldn't stay back in. But in the old tradition of:
  • If it should move but doesn't: WD40
  • If it should not move but does: Duct Tape ;)

Instead of Duct Tape I used some black electrical tape, made a picture frame around all 4 sides of the cover and (black on black) it fits perfectly and you can't even see the electrical tape. Now I suppose it's not even worth me looking for cover on eBay as an entire new mirror assembly now goes for about $60 for a 2003 Explorer. But the LED's are bright enough and white enough now (the old lights were a murky yellow) that not having a cover doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Thanks all.

Back