Ford Explorer 2004 pats module problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwithaford

Reaction score
City, State
Garland, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all! I have a 2004 Explorer in a no crank / no start condition. Replaced battery, starter (solenoid built in), checked many items already. I have 3 programmed keys (from Ford dealer) and from what I can see it is a PATS issue. With key turned to on position, the pats light blinks rapidly. I read here somewhere before that someone located the pats module and disconnected the plug with two wires and was able to start the truck.
My question is: Where is the module?
I have only been able to locate 2 fuse boxes, 1 under dash and one under hood, both on driver side.
I have disassembled the dash to the point that my wife is suffering a neurotic condition and is in tears.
Can someone offer some advice? We are not only poor, this problem has broke us.
Help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't bypass PATS, that would not make much sense for security.

Your cheapest option is to get a USB OBDII unit and reprogram PATS yourself with ForScan assuming you already have a windows laptop, even if you only have a windows desktop I'd drag it outside vs paying the dealership to program it (not to mention a tow also).

Here is the USB OBDII you need to buy:
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-USB-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B005ZWM0R4/

and here is free ForScan for windows:
https://forscan.org/download/FORScanSetup2.3.20.beta.exe

After installing it you need to get a free extended license to be able to program PATS with it.

FORScan forum - Login

and here are the instructions:

How to program PATS using FORScan v2.3.* - FORScan forum

Hi all! I have a 2004 Explorer in a no crank / no start condition. Replaced battery, starter (solenoid built in), checked many items already. I have 3 programmed keys (from Ford dealer) and from what I can see it is a PATS issue. With key turned to on position, the pats light blinks rapidly. I read here somewhere before that someone located the pats module and disconnected the plug with two wires and was able to start the truck.
My question is: Where is the module?
I have only been able to locate 2 fuse boxes, 1 under dash and one under hood, both on driver side.
I have disassembled the dash to the point that my wife is suffering a neurotic condition and is in tears.
Can someone offer some advice? We are not only poor, this problem has broke us.
Help?
@johnwithaford
There is no module, stop looking for it. 2004 has it built into the computer (PCM). What you DO have is a PATS transceiver surrounding the ignition key cylinder. It identifies the key inserted as either acceptable, or not. The rapidly blinking light tells you the PATS system is operating as designed: the PCM is failing to identify the key. There is some possibility the PATS transceiver is faulty. It is easily replaced if you care to go that route. Leave your dashboard alone!

Removal of the steering column shrouds, upper and lower, will reveal the transceiver. Here is what it looks like:
th

Held in place by one tiny metric hex-head screw. Access to that screw requires pushing the bundle of wiring below it out of the way. If you buy a transceiver, make sure it's numbers match yours. I have a brand new one on the shelf in my shop for a 2004, if you care to buy it. PM me. imp

I would check the programming status with ForScan before replacing the transceiver though...

Sometimes when there has been power/battery issues the PCM "forgets" the programmed keys.

As I stated in the beginning, I do not have suitcases full of hundred dollar bills laying around, nor do I intend to further my misery by enabling PATS to hold my vehicle hostage any longer.
Many have asked this, with no reasonable or satisfactory answer. All they got is what I got. Either fan-boy replies about how great pats is and how we wouldn't want evil car thieves to steal our vehicles, because God knows they are in the driveway this very moment glaring at our 2004 truck imagining themselves riding in it with a scantily clad vixen on their way to the beach. :drunk::snicker:
I can tell you that I have FINALLY found the answer to my question.
The question is: How do I bypass the pats module?
The idea is to disconnect the pcm circuit which makes a contact to ground and brings in the starter relay. The anti theft allows the pcm starting contact to close or not to close. You need a wiring manual to identify the exact wire in the starting circuit that has to be cut in two. Free wiring diagrams are found on BBBind.com, register for free, go to technical info, tsb's and wiring diagrams, agree to the conditions, and choose wiring diagrams then enter your vehicle info. if you can't find it there then go to ebay and you can get a used one, in the search box type your vehicle year, make and wiring manual, I got one for $8.00.
The start diagram probably won't show the anti theft circuit. Cut the wire in two that goes to your pcm start contact and tape it up, this will not cause any damage to the pcm. To be sure you've got the correct wire attach a voltmeter on the other half of the wire and to ground, turn the key to start and the meter should go from 0 to 12 volts. release the key and it should go back to 0. Jumper this wire to ground and then you can start the vehicle, the anti theft system has been bypassed. If you are electrically minded you should be able to adapt this concept to your own vehicle.
I found the above answer elsewhere. As a kindness, I have posted it here.
For those off you that think it is clever to steer someone to waste countless hours chasing their tails or investing money they can't afford back into the problem (PATS), shame on you.
Peace out! :salute:

PATS IS INTEGRATED INTO THE PCM, IT CAN NOT BE BYPASSED!!!

All it costed me is the $30 USB cable to be in control of my own PATS programming.

Idea though, obtain a non-PATS PCM (and instrument cluster as they function as a matched pair) from usually a fleet model that was ordered without PATS. Might have ABS and 4x4 issues though as the VIN's of every module must match.

As I stated in the beginning, I do not have suitcases full of hundred dollar bills laying around, nor do I intend to further my misery by enabling PATS to hold my vehicle hostage any longer.
Many have asked this, with no reasonable or satisfactory answer. All they got is what I got. Either fan-boy replies about how great pats is and how we wouldn't want evil car thieves to steal our vehicles, because God knows they are in the driveway this very moment glaring at our 2004 truck imagining themselves riding in it with a scantily clad vixen on their way to the beach. :drunk::snicker:
I can tell you that I have FINALLY found the answer to my question.
The question is: How do I bypass the pats module?
The idea is to disconnect the pcm circuit which makes a contact to ground and brings in the starter relay. The anti theft allows the pcm starting contact to close or not to close. You need a wiring manual to identify the exact wire in the starting circuit that has to be cut in two. Free wiring diagrams are found on BBBind.com, register for free, go to technical info, tsb's and wiring diagrams, agree to the conditions, and choose wiring diagrams then enter your vehicle info. if you can't find it there then go to ebay and you can get a used one, in the search box type your vehicle year, make and wiring manual, I got one for $8.00.
The start diagram probably won't show the anti theft circuit. Cut the wire in two that goes to your pcm start contact and tape it up, this will not cause any damage to the pcm. To be sure you've got the correct wire attach a voltmeter on the other half of the wire and to ground, turn the key to start and the meter should go from 0 to 12 volts. release the key and it should go back to 0. Jumper this wire to ground and then you can start the vehicle, the anti theft system has been bypassed. If you are electrically minded you should be able to adapt this concept to your own vehicle.
I found the above answer elsewhere. As a kindness, I have posted it here.
For those off you that think it is clever to steer someone to waste countless hours chasing their tails or investing money they can't afford back into the problem (PATS), shame on you.
Peace out! :salute:
@johnwithaford
Hate to throw ice into your warm soup, but,........I tried what you suggest, DON'T WORK. Why? because yes, you can make the starter turn, BUT you cannot get into the PCM to make it provide spark and fuel: it will not do so without proper key identification. Sorry.......imp

@johnwithaford
Hate to throw ice into your warm soup, but,........I tried what you suggest, DON'T WORK. Why? because yes, you can make the starter turn, BUT you cannot get into the PCM to make it provide spark and fuel: it will not do so without proper key identification. Sorry.......imp

Do you know if non-PATS PCM's were made for Explorers? I know they were for Crown-Vic's and F350/E350 chassis.

Reactions: imp

doing the above mentioned will not allow the vehicle to run only the starter to engage, it will not defeat pats

I have sent a few ecu's out to some members already to disable PATS, only way to disable it is to rewrite the ecu with pats disabled

easiest option is to just get a generic obdii interface and use forscan as has been mentioned numerous times to just resync pats to your keys/pcm/cluster/transponder

You know guys, as someone who has just had to buy more specially programmed keys for this heap of junk, Ford's clever little systems have to be removed from my vehicles. Those of us that have been stranded by them understand this. I am not looking for a workaround that involves my vehicle being held hostage to their Bull*&$%. It needs to be separated from my vehicle and me. I paid for the vehicle, the vehicle is mine. I want it back.

Reactions: imp

You can't bypass PATS, that would not make much sense for security.

Your cheapest option is to get a USB OBDII unit and reprogram PATS yourself with ForScan assuming you already have a windows laptop, even if you only have a windows desktop I'd drag it outside vs paying the dealership to program it (not to mention a tow also).

Here is the USB OBDII you need to buy:
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-USB-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B005ZWM0R4/

and here is free ForScan for windows:
https://forscan.org/download/FORScanSetup2.3.20.beta.exe

After installing it you need to get a free extended license to be able to program PATS with it.

FORScan forum - Login

and here are the instructions:

How to program PATS using FORScan v2.3.* - FORScan forum
If you honestly believe that "pats" will keep someone from stealing your vehicle, you have no business posting answers on a forum about vehicles. I do not need to purchase "licenses" for a vehicle i own. since you do not know, please feel fre to go annoy someone else with your advertisements and B.S.
what you are = shill - Google Search
The search is for how to disable and/or bypass pats. you clearly do not have a clue.

If you honestly believe that "pats" will keep someone from stealing your vehicle, you have no business posting answers on a forum about vehicles. I do not need to purchase "licenses" for a vehicle i own. since you do not know, please feel fre to go annoy someone else with your advertisements and B.S.
what you are = shill - Google Search
The search is for how to disable and/or bypass pats. you clearly do not have a clue.

IF YOU ACTUALLY HAD ANY INTELLIGENCE YOU WOULD HAVE READ THAT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO COST FOR A EXTENDED LICENSE FOR FORSCAN TO PROGRAM PATS. (IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE NON-FREE CELL PHONE VERSIONS OF FORSCAN THOSE CAN NOT EVEN DO PATS PROGRAMMING, ONLY THE FREE WINDOWS VERSION CAN.)

IF YOU HAVE SUCH A CLUE WHY THE HELL ARE YOU IN THIS FORUM ASKING FOR OUR HELP? IF YOU ALREADY KNOW THEN LEAVE AND GO FIX IT YOURSELF.

I ALREADY GAVE YOU ADVICE ON HOW TO GO ABOUT REMOVING PATS FROM THE VEHICLE, BUT REPLACING THE PCM AND EVERYTHING THAT GOES WITH IT WILL COST MORE THAN THE $30 TO BE ABLE TO JUST PROGRAM PATS YOURSELF.

TO THINK I WAS ACTUALLY CONSIDERING OFFERING TO DRIVE OVER TO GARLAND TO PROGRAM IT FOR YOU.

I SUGGEST YOU BUY A OLDER VEHICLE WITH NOTHING ELECTRONIC.

I SURE HOPE YOU'RE NEVER FORCED TO OWN A VEHICLE WITH A SMART KEY...

You know guys, as someone who has just had to buy more specially programmed keys for this heap of junk, Ford's clever little systems have to be removed from my vehicles. Those of us that have been stranded by them understand this. I am not looking for a workaround that involves my vehicle being held hostage to their Bull*&$%. It needs to be separated from my vehicle and me. I paid for the vehicle, the vehicle is mine. I want it back.

No one made you buy a vehicle with a PATS system, you chose to buy it.

You should never have to buy "programmed keys". Genuine Ford Stratec keys are read only and do not wear out. If you're using "cloned" keys from Walmart, etc, which are programmed, that is your problem and why you are having problems with PATS because those fake third party keys can lose their programming.

John, people are trying to help you. It’s not in your best interest to attack them.
This is a civil forum. Please be civil.

IF YOU ACTUALLY HAD ANY INTELLIGENCE YOU WOULD HAVE READ THAT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO COST FOR A EXTENDED LICENSE FOR FORSCAN TO PROGRAM PATS. (IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE NON-FREE CELL PHONE VERSIONS OF FORSCAN THOSE CAN NOT EVEN DO PATS PROGRAMMING, ONLY THE FREE WINDOWS VERSION CAN.)

IF YOU HAVE SUCH A CLUE WHY THE HELL ARE YOU IN THIS FORUM ASKING FOR OUR HELP? IF YOU ALREADY KNOW THEN LEAVE AND GO FIX IT YOURSELF.

I ALREADY GAVE YOU ADVICE ON HOW TO GO ABOUT REMOVING PATS FROM THE VEHICLE, BUT REPLACING THE PCM AND EVERYTHING THAT GOES WITH IT WILL COST MORE THAN THE $30 TO BE ABLE TO JUST PROGRAM PATS YOURSELF.

TO THINK I WAS ACTUALLY CONSIDER OFFERING TO DRIVE OVER TO GARLAND TO PROGRAM IT FOR YOU.

I SUGGEST YOU BUY A OLDER VEHICLE WITH NOTHING ELECTRONIC.

I SURE HOPE YOU'RE NEVER FORCED TO OWN A VEHICLE WITH A SMART KEY...
@TechGuru
OK, well said! Simmer down. We all know the world is full of A-holes, right? imp

I apologize for my response above. I believe this pats system can be defeated, and in my situation it is the only solution. I'm sure you guys know a lot more about vehicles than me, and I will be more respectful in any future posts.
I have to say though, the ford pats has truly driven me to the edge. i'll be taking my wire cutters along with my 9 pound hammer when I walk back out there to deal with this...taking my truck back from PATS, one way or the other.... :shoot:

Understood. I had a family member with an Escape with pats. Lots of problems!
That’s why all my vehicles are pre-pats Fords. :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back