• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 4x4 Oil Leak

Donny2x4

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer 4x4
I have a 1992 Ford Explorer 4x4 and last night I smelled this burning odor, it stopped maybe five minutes after I parked. Later that night my truck gave out while I was reversing, I pushed it back into the driveway, put some oil in it and it worked. Once I turned the engine on.. the truck would like gag when driving. It drove like it needed a push from behind, a few times I had to gas it a bit more for it to drive faster but still would stall and drive extremely slow. Now this morning, my truck is out of commission for now and is leaking oil, badly. Any suggestions on what it might be thats making my tuck do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did it overheat? Did you look at the temp gauge? Any other symptoms?

Might have been overheating and then blew the head gaskets, which now leak oil.

It did overheat for about 10 minutes tops... uhh I don't know too much about cars so this is all new to me. I heard of head gaskets just dont know where it is located.

Since you don't know much about cars, I would suggest that either you locate a friend who does and can help you or take it to a shop and have it diagnosed. From your description here, anything we can tell you over the Internet is just a guess.

If it overheated then the thermostat is stuck closed and the vehicle is not driveable until a new thermostat is installed.

If it's leaking oil then either the head gasket/gaskets blew and/or the heads are cracked/damaged and will need to be replaced.

If you don't know much about vehicles you're stuck taking it someplace to have the damage repaired. Will be a couple hundred for new heads and a couple hundred in labor to replace them.

Okay thanks, I will keep both suggestions in mind. I really appreciate it thanks again

Back