Ford Explorer 93 Vacuum Hose leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 93 Vacuum Hose leak

octopii5

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer 93
http://octopii5.blogspot.com/

This is a FORD explorer 93, maybe 92..can't remember off the top of my head.

Hi, brand new to the forum, everyone seems great, not very mechanically sound, just failed my smog test, gas passed but they said the open hose hissing made it fail. The nut and bolt trick they didn't like either. I checked under the hood and can't seem to figure it out. Suggestions? The hissing sound came from that open valve which ultimately failed the smog. I went to the auto store but they couldn't figure out where it went even based on the diagram under the hood, so that they couldn't cut the right amount of hose for it. I pretty sure the bolt is suppose to have a cap, but not sure where the one goes, that gives off all the hissing.

Thanks for the suggestions..

That open vacuum connection you are reffering to in your picture is called the Manifold Vacuum Tree which is pretty much where everything that requires some type of vacuum get's its source from. If you have a 93', than you probably have an EGR valve which would require vacuum to operate as well. Not having it connected would definately fail your smog test. 92' and before didn't have this installed I believe. Another vital component that feeds off that tree is your fuel pressure regulator. Although it not connected would more than likely result in your Ex not running at all.

I noticed behind it you also have a nipple that is capped off. What failed on your smog test. Is your CEL on?

If it is a standard transmission both of those ports should be capped.

You can clean up the look for the emissions guys by getting proper rubber caps.

If it is an automatic trans; someone has been chop'n up your truck.

For automatic trans the top nipple has a short piece of hose that connects to a steel line for the transmissions vacuum modulator.

Neither will cause the fail, unless it was tested with that huge vacuum leak.

Back