• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Ford Explorer as a capable trail/climb rig?

Okay guys I'll cut to the chase. I want a toy I can drive to the off-road park, beat on a little bit, and drive back home. I have a nice '99 explorer 4x4 as my "daddy ride" that my wife bought new and I can't bring myself to abuse it. So, I have been scouring Craigslist and all of the Jeep owners think they are dipped in gold considering their asking prices for ragged out junk. However, I have found some nice first gen explorers for less than $1,000. I'm not looking to drop loads of money into one but with a nice lift and bigger tires, can these be capable off road rigs for the occasional rock climbing/trail riding? I'm looking at the first gens because of the coil spring front-end.

unclemeat

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
Hell yea! Spacer lift, add a leaf and 3-inch body lift, perhaps some trimming and you can run 33s. Make sure you get on with 3.73 alxle ratio. I perfer manual transmission.

Traction devices rear locker, I have a tru-track limited slip in the the front.

The stock explorer is a tough truck, more durablde than a stock jeep of comprable year.

mtm

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I saw two in the weeds the other day I might ask about. One was a two door 5 speed and the other a four door auto. What kind of limitations do you have with your setup?

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH