Ford Explorer Chrome Lower Tailgate Trim: Here's a quick installation tip! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Chrome Lower Tailgate Trim: Here's a quick installation tip!

ExplorerUSA

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011-Up Ford Explorer
11ExplorerRearDeck1.jpg

Our chrome stainless lower tailgate trim for the Ford Explorer looks super sharp once it has been installed; but one or two of our customers failed to install this item properly and damaged the piece in the process. Here's the quick installation tip: Once you have cleaned and prepped the surface and peeled off the backing of the self adhesive tape that has already been pre-applied to the back of the chrome tailgate trim; you need to install the item in the center of the tailgate and then press outward to the outer edges to avoid the trim from buckling due too the curvature of the tailgate itself.

For further details and info in regards to this item; please click the following link:
http://www.ronusa.com/Merchant2/mer...Product_Code=QAA579TTFD2&Category_Code=TTFORD

Not sure how your users did it, but I actually started at one side, slowly peeling the back tape off with my right hand as I kept the piece aligned with the bottom of the tailgate and had no problems, but then again, I've done a bit of this.

Regardless, went on easy, no bubbles, no problems, been on over a year and sure isn't going anywhere as it's on line a rock!

Sounds like you done a great job installing this item Mike. I also forgot to mention that probably the most important thing to do is to make sure that the surface is properly cleaned and prepped before installing this item.

Agreed. I used Simple Green to remove any gummy residue or other residue, let it dry and then cleaned the area with alcohol until such point as it wiped white on the cotton.

I will say this, I'd hate to have to remove it because it's on pretty darn good, but then WD40 would eventually break that bond.

Back