Ford Explorer Grille Guard: Consumer Alert! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Grille Guard: Consumer Alert!

ExplorerUSA

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011-Up Ford Explorer
11ExplorerSTC1.jpg

Just a quick note to let everybody know that if you are interested into installing a grille guard for the 2011-Up Ford Explorer of the following installation issue. You will have to cut out a small notch in the lower front splash guard to properly install the mounting brackets to the body frame. It is very important that you only cut out a notch just barely large enough to insert the grille guard mounting brackets through the lower splash guard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My only gripe on these types of grille guards is that the consumer needs to be very aware that they are for "look" only and do not provide any true, functional protection to the vehicle. They are mounted at the bottom of vehicle but if you have an impact anywhere from the bumper up, they are going to cave back into lights, the hood, the grille, possibly on a level worse then had it not been there. I had one of these on a previous vehicle, they all pretty much mount the same and look fantastic, but if you get a front end impact, you might be unpleasantly surprised.

I have had an incident that proves otherwise in my wife's previous Tahoe with a Westin guard. There are so many variables in an accident that blanket statements like that don't really provide any useful info. I have pictures and more info for those interested enough to search but scaring people away from a product for no reason doesn't help.

They also serve their intended purpose very well on my truck...guarding against brush...not that they'll ever serve that purpose on a new Explorer, though.

Now, cutting on a new Explorer may definitely be a real problem for some people. Great PSA.

My purpose is to educate the consumer to take a good look before one jumps on these guards for their truck. They are not like the grille guards you are going to find on a police vehicle or on a Land Cruiser. Every one that I have seen is attached at the bottom most point of the vehicle allowing the top to bend inward if hit at the right angle. There are no top attachment points to the guard and it is going to bend backwards into the bumper and sometimes "not always" into the headlights and/or hood.

As long as someone moves forward on their decision knowing the implications of a single mounting point and the potential for further damage if that guard is hit at the bumper point or higher, I'm quite comfortable with my statement. Thank you for your observations as well.

We have customers who contact us from time to time wanting to purchase a grille guard for deer protection; hoping that if they hit a deer at 65 mph that their vehicle would not suffer a single scratch whatsoever. We always tell them that is not the case; but instead of the vehicle suffering catastrophic front edge damage; the vehicle probably would suffer some minor dents and damage. Even though a grille guard is mostly for looks; they do offer some degree of protection.

Back