Ford Explorer HID Conversion Kits (problem?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer HID Conversion Kits (problem?)

NY1PR2012

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
As many of you know by now I am the proud owner of a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport and as many of you have done I placed an order of two HID 8000K kits for the mains and fog lights to change those stock yellowish looking factory halogen lights that come with the Sport. I have received the two kits and while waiting to have the time to have them install I have been reading many threads and looking at photos here at the forum of those who have already done the conversion to hids in their Explorers.

My concern is that I have noticed from many of those of you that after doing this conversion you have been running into this little problem that when the light switch in the Explorer is set to "Auto" some of the lights do not go on right away and you have to turn the switch back to manual and then turn the lights on again in order for all of them to go on.

If this is a common problem regardless who you buy the kit from? or is there any other way to connect these kits without having to run into this problem.

I am a guy who keep the lights always on "Auto" . I have done this for many years with every car that I have owned with the Auto lights feature and I will like to continue doing it like it was with my 2012 Explorer Limited(of course that one had factory HID lights).

If this is a common problem then I will have no choice but to return back the two HID kits and leave the Sport with the factory stock halogen lights.

I will appreciate if anyone that has done this HID conversion can share their experiences with all here at the forum if they have come accross this problem.

Best regards,
Carlos

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have that problem. yes its annoying but thats the price im paying for modding, lol

If you plan to use "auto" mode, then you must use a wire harness with a timed delay relay. This will prevent flickering and the problem of the bulb not igniting. The delay relay waits to fire the HID's 5-10 seconds until the vehicle has started. When its sets to Auto without the delay relay, the vehicle is trying to fire the HID's at the same time the engine is cranking over.....the voltage fluctuation is what causes the misfire and/or flickering.....

Use a harness and make sure it has a timed delay relay......not just a regular relay....must be timed......

If you plan to use "auto" mode, then you must use a wire harness with a timed delay relay. This will prevent flickering and the problem of the bulb not igniting. The delay relay waits to fire the HID's 5-10 seconds until the vehicle has started. When its sets to Auto without the delay relay, the vehicle is trying to fire the HID's at the same time the engine is cranking over.....the voltage fluctuation is what causes the misfire and/or flickering.....

Use a harness and make sure it has a timed delay relay......not just a regular relay....must be timed......

Does this apply to any Ford vehicle that uses "Auto" mode for the headlamps? I have a 2013 Fusion on order and wanted to install HID's in that one as well. I just called DDM and they don't have a time delay relay in their HID kit. What brand kit should I be looking in order to avoid this issue with the light not coming on?

Does this apply to any Ford vehicle that uses "Auto" mode for the headlamps? I have a 2013 Fusion on order and wanted to install HID's in that one as well. I just called DDM and they don't have a time delay relay in their HID kit. What brand kit should I be looking in order to avoid this issue with the light not coming on?

I believe any AUTO type mode could create this problem. Kit brand does not matter if the harness is using a standard relay rather than a timed relay.

10 secs seems like a long delay. I have never timed myself but it seems possible I may start my car and pull away in less than 10 seconds. If it's very dark out then this could be a safety issue. Maybe a 5 second delay would be better?

Well if you get in, start the car, then buckle up, check your mirrors, etc. You should have lights.....

There are other timed delay relays out there, some adjustable.

10 secs seems like a long delay. I have never timed myself but it seems possible I may start my car and pull away in less than 10 seconds. If it's very dark out then this could be a safety issue. Maybe a 5 second delay would be better?

10 secs seems long, but it's really not. It does save so much wear on the lights, as flickering is bad for the ballasts and bulbs. This also saves from them coming on unnecessarily driving through tunnels, under overpasses/bridges, etc.

As an alternative, since you are in the sport, ALWAYS start the car via remote start before you get in. The lights will remain off, and then when you press the start button inside, the engine will already be cranked, and there will be no need to flicker. I've been doing this until I quit being lazy and order the relay for my harness.

I have a kit from The Retrofit Source and mine are set to auto. They fire up every time right when I turn the key to start the car. There's no delay at all.

I have a kit from The Retrofit Source and mine are set to auto. They fire up every time right when I turn the key to start the car. There's no delay at all.

Which HID kit did you get specifically? I'm an HID noob and have trouble sorting through all the options.

happens on my edge as well

either one headlight wont work or a fog wont.

Which HID kit did you get specifically? I'm an HID noob and have trouble sorting through all the options.

This one: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3956

The 3Five ballasts, 4300k (the most light output, I think the blue look is cheap), 9005 wire harness, and the heavy duty relay wire harness.

The improvement over stock is just amazing. The cutoff in the stock projectors looks perfect and doesn't throw light everywhere like non projector housings. Last night on the highway, I had to flash someone to move from the passing lane and the high beams lit up their entire interior. The person pretty much swerved over right away and I think it startled them a little.

My factory lights are xenon lighting, if I change to an hid kit will it void my warranty?

My factory lights are xenon lighting, if I change to an hid kit will it void my warranty?

This has been answered multiple times, but here goes

In order for them to void a warranty claim, they must prove that the modification directly affected the claimed malfunction/defect.

In other words, it will void the warranty on the lights, it's a stretch to say it will void the warranty on the wiring related to the lights as well, but mostly it would just void the warranty on the plugs and housing. This is if they can prove that you had modified lights in the first place (the burden of proof is on the service department)

Didn't realize it had been posted but thank you for the help none the less.
I noticed you're in L.A. Whereabouts? I'm in Silver Lake. Thx again

Didn't realize it had been posted but thank you for the help none the less.
I noticed you're in L.A. Whereabouts? I'm in Silver Lake. Thx again

Van Nuys (work)

Retro Wiring install questions

Tux,

How difficult was it to install the Retro wiring kit? I have one on the way and was wondering what I was in for and if you had any hints?

thanks,
AC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for the late response.

It wasn't difficult at all. Everything in plug & play and there is only one way for everything to fit. The instructions online that are provided seem like they could be beefed up with a little more detail, but once you get going with the install, you'll see that everything goes together nicely. I attached the wires to the battery without issue and the ground wires to existing ones already used by the factory wiring. If anything, maybe get some small zip ties for a cleaner look.

Back