Ford explorer limited auto lock question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer limited auto lock question

sze kan

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5L V6
hi,
when my key fob is inside the car, the door lock up itself after a few minutes... is this normal?
should it detect the key inside the car and not lock up the doors?
also the lock doesn't unlock or detect the key when it is inside...

I have been locked out once and today the dealer got locked out as well...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never had that happen.

yes thats what the dealers said as well... not too sure what could be the issue... but strangely looks like the car knows the key is inside the car thats why it doesnt want to unlock with the door handle...

Correct, if the key is inside and you close the door, once the doors lock, the key fob disables itself.

This is no different then leaving it in and using the keypad outside to lock the doors. Only way to get in is another fob, the key or using the keypad.

is there anyway to disable this function ? there are pros and cons tho to whatever this feature is ...
also the problem is that my keypad is not working.... but that's some other issue with this car... I just think I got a really bad car or the previous owner just didn't care about it ...

hi,
when my key fob is inside the car, the door lock up itself after a few minutes... is this normal?
should it detect the key inside the car and not lock up the doors?
also the lock doesn't unlock or detect the key when it is inside...

I have been locked out once and today the dealer got locked out as well...
Just to clarify. Are you saying that if you leave the fob inside that the doors will lock themselves after a few minutes? If so, that is not normal. The only way you should be able to lock a key inside is either using the Securicode keyless pad or with another fob. Using any other way should cause the horn to beep and the doors to automatically unlock when closed. As blwnsmoke mentioned, if a key is locked inside the vehicle it will automatically disable itself after 20 seconds when the vehicle alarm sets itself. You must then use either the keyless pad or another key fob to unlock the doors.

Peter

Just to clarify. Are you saying that if you leave the fob inside that the doors will lock themselves after a few minutes? If so, that is not normal. The only way you should be able to lock a key inside is either using the Securicode keyless pad or with another fob. Using any other way should cause the horn to beep and the doors to automatically unlock when closed. As blwnsmoke mentioned, if a key is locked inside the vehicle it will automatically disable itself after 20 seconds when the vehicle alarm sets itself. You must then use either the keyless pad or another key fob to unlock the doors.

Peter

The fact that his securicode is defective or inoperative may be the cause of this happening.

The fact that his securicode is defective or inoperative may be the cause of this happening.
That's quite possible if perhaps something is causing the 7/8 and 9/0 keys to somehow activate. Hadn't thought of that.

Did you buy this car from a Ford dealer? With all the problems you are having with it, I wonder if it is a salvage titled vehicle. I don't know if you're protected from that sort of thing or not but I'd seriously look into it.

Back