Ford Explorer Newbie Needs Advice on Parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Newbie Needs Advice on Parts

Tom 1994

Reaction score
City, State
FL-NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Sport
I am the very proud owner of a very nicely preserved 1994 Explorer 2-Door 4WD Sport with a 5 speed.

I would like to purchase a long block to rebuild, but I do not know what years will work. The engine interchange PDFs all say 91-94 only, but those just cannot be found. I have read just enough to know that many of the later engines had improved cam belt tensioners etc., but I need to know if later years will bolt in with my 1994 and function with the 1994 electronics.

I am also experiencing some rattling from the t-case when in 4WD. I don't even know what type of t-case I have, or if the t-case on a 5 speed is different than one on a auto....My goal is to buy a spare and rebuild the spare so I do not have to take my car off of the road for too long (same thing for the engine). So, any advice about what year t-cases will work would be awesome.

Many many thanks.

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tom, welcome.

Any ideas on where to post my request within this forum?

I'm not positive, but I think you're limited to the 91-94 engines. Later year OHV engines may work, but I'm not sure. Your t-case is a BW-1354. Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!

Welcome Tom, I moved your post into a better section.

All first gen t-cases are the same, whether auto trans or five speed. The only difference is most are electric, some are manual shift.

Can't help you with the long block question.

Any 4.0 OHV 91-01 will physically bolt to your transmission. 91-94 is the only plug in engine. You could technically use a 95+ engine, but you would need the wiring harness and computer. Even then you would have to do a lot of splicing, as the connectors would be different. 91-94 is OBD I, 95+ is OBD II. Being as 1994 had EGR and 91-93 did not, you will have a check engine light unless you plug in your DPFE and run a vacuum line to it to trick it. As for your transfer case, Any from a 91-94 explorer will work, as well as some from a ranger. I'm not sure on 95+ vehicles, as they went to a ring in the differential for the vehicle speed sensor. Your current VSS is in the transfer case and is gear driven. Also you have a mechanical speedometer driven by that same gear, and newer truck are electronic.

You can use 95+ blocks and heads, you just need to use your sensors etc.

The question has been asked and there are some good answers, just need to find the threads. My answer comes from what others have told me. I don't recall everything, but seems to me, I'd want to go with a '95-'97 block. Stay away from '91-'93 due to bad head designs.

Thanks #4 , RangerX,2Stroke, and MayJan,

I would really like to use a later block and heads just because they are so plentiful (and dead cheap). So, I will try to look through the appropriate thread to find more info on any specifics.

Also thanks for the info on the transfer case. Mine is electric. If I had my choice, it would be a manual. I'll have to "Explore" if that can be changed over without too much hassle.

Again, thank you, and if you think of any more important info, please post.

:salute:

Tom

It can be changed to manual fairly easily, you just need to find a donor vehicle that has a manual, and pull the parts you need.

Number4 and 2stroke are correct. Go to the ranger station website and peruse the tech articles for the engine specs. You e got lots of little details to look at and there is an abundance of info there. Also for your tranny/T case concerns. Lots of options can be good but overwhelming.

Rhett,

Thank you very much for the link. That was fascinating reading. It is really strange to see so many crank,piston, cam, rod...variations within such a short period of time.

That page is bookmarked and highlighted for later use.

You da man!

:thumbsup:

Tom

Mark,

Many thanks. I will visit the ranger station page to get as much info as possible. The info that Rhett sent to me (link) was pretty overwhelming; 4 cranks, 4 pistons, 4 rods, etc. etc.....and all within 6 years.

Knowledge saves headaches!

Tom

That link is one page of many at the TRS tech article site. It is overwhelming but very worth your efforts and time to check your options

Back