Ford Explorer - Rough Start when cold, Fine when warm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer - Rough Start when cold, Fine when warm

Xanthia

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Good afternoon everyone

Car: Ford Explorer 1998
V6 High output
198,000 miles

Recent Maintenance:
Replaced Fuel pump
Replaced Fuel pump control board
Replaced Fuel filter
Replaced Battery

Symptoms:
The car is having a hard time starting when cold (sitting after 4hrs around 60 - 80 degree's ambient). Sputtering and sounding generally fuel starved kind of. Once started has a smooth idle and runs great, even spunky. Once warm, seems to start as though nothing is wrong after an hour of sitting off. (even after my simple 10min drive at aprox. 30mph home for lunch break)

I am stumped as to what could be cause the problem and am hoping some idea's can be found to resolve. I fear the car starting every morning, & lunch break recently.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If SOHC then upper/lower intake mani gaskets most likely culprit. Exact same symptoms on my 98. Intake manifold gaskets get old and lose their flexibility and shrink once cold and then the manifold sucks air when starting creating a lean condition rough start. Once they warm up and expand into the gap the vacuum is closed and the vehicle runs fine. That is, of course, until it cools down and the gaskets shrink again and allow a vacuum leak upon startup, and the process starts all over again. Pull your codes, most likely will be P0171/P0174.

If OHV, then I have no friggin' clue what's going on. :salute:

SOHC as I recall

thank you guys for your input! I will certainly take a look into this, is it easy to replace this gasket? and is this typically a low cost fix?

Thanks again for the responces

SoHC 4.0L for sure

The gaskets are fairly cheap on RA. Less than $50 iirc. Pulling the manifold is not all that hard, just take your time and do things in the proper sequence. Lots of write-ups here - just do a search. I am no wrench (as your probably surmised by my handle) and I did it in few hours. If you have the tools it should not be a big problem.

looking at my engine and the hose/fitting, I see no damage, however, as pointed out, I can only see maybe 20% of the assembly. I think I will check to see if I can take it into a shop to see if the car is throwing any codes before I proceed.

Thank you everyone for your assistance as this points me in a good direction!

Back