Ford explorer sport auto swap, ohv to sohc swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer sport auto swap, ohv to sohc swap

pb91custom

Reaction score
City, State
Grand rapids,mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
I need help. For starters i have a 1999 ford explorer sport 2 door. Stock it had the ohv engine, well i built up a new sohc motor. and also dropped a 5 speed manaul in it. I am going to turbo it, I plan to get 550rwhp at 20lbs of boost. I am RUNING INTO ENDLESS PROBLEMS WITH NOT HAVEIN THE AUTO IN IT. DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF SOMEBODY WHO HAS DONE THIS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe you should say what problems you are having. I've done an OHV to SOHC swap in my 95. There are a lot of people who have done a 5spd swap (I've done 3 myself). Without knowing what problems you have, it makes it difficult to help.

Well i hooked my tranny range switch up, so my engine cranks.
My injectors are not fireing, fuel pressure is good.
I am getting spark.
I was told by the ford dealership That i need to do something with my extra plug that went to the valve body when my auto tranny was in it.

I tried looking for the engine wireing harness, and body wireing harness for a 1999 ford explorer sport that has a manual, NO SUCH LUCK.

Does anybody know where i could find the wireing harnesses?

There is no way according to ford that you can bypass that plug

So i am looking for an explorer from 1997-1999, model- explorer sport 2 door with a manaul tranny. Parts truck, because i have 2 change my dash wireing harness, if i dont get one that 99 i dont care. Im changeing all the wireing and computers anyway. Let me know anybody

custom tune

If your PCM was programmed for the automatic transmission and you now have a manual transmission then I believe you will need a custom tune. If you swap your PCM with one from another 99 with a manual then you will have PATS issues to resolve since the code in your keys will not match the ones in the replacement PCM. Do you have wiring diagrams for your vehicle? I'm not aware of any dash wiring changes required to swap from auto to manual. There may be a jumper or two to install.

Yup, i got every wireing diagram. I went with ALLData.com for them. Thought it would be the best seeing the for dealership uses it. I have asked everywhere and knowbody seems to know where i can get my pcm reprogramed. The reason i went with the manual is due to me building it, haha **** along with my truck from the ground up. Man i tell ya I sure got the build going on. Funny thing, people are speechless when they find out im only 18. I am doing all this by myself, and finding a explorer with a manul is just crazy. Cant

Electrical vs mechanical

The electrical aspects of a powertrain conversion have become as much or more complicated than the mechanical aspects. Because of your non-standard configuration it is unlikely that your Ford dealer would be interested in getting involved. There is no shop standard procedure to accomplish what you need.

Most shops in your area with a dynamometer that support Mustangs should be capable of reprogramming your PCM for the higher performance SOHC V6 with a manual (instead of auto) transmission. Or you could contact James Henson at http://www.hensonperformance.com/ to determine the possibility of a remote custom tune.

If you compare the 99 auto wiring diagrams with the 99 manual ones I believe you will find very minor differences. I believe there is a switch associated with the clutch pedal that is jumpered for the auto. There may also be a switch associated with the brake pedal for the auto that is jumpered for the manual. I suspect that you only need the SOHC V6 engine wiring harness and the manual transmission wiring harness. But you should be able to determine that from your wiring diagrams.

Ya, the ford dealer dont want jack to do with me. Lol, and I am from rand rapids,mn there are no dyno shops anywhere in my area. And wireing, im sorry to diss my own truck but there is zero interchangeability. 99 with a 99, sochv6 to a sohc v6, and so on. Ahh ****, I best start tearing the inside of my truck apart 2 switch every wireing harness, and every computer. this 2 me is going way to far, haha no turnin back now. If anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Wiring harnesses

. . . And wireing, im sorry to diss my own truck but there is zero interchangeability. 99 with a 99, sochv6 to a sohc v6, and so on. . . I best start tearing the inside of my truck apart 2 switch every wireing harness, and every computer. this 2 me is going way to far, haha no turnin back now. If anybody has any ideas please let me know.

You need to spend more time looking at the wiring diagrams before tearing up things. If your 1999 is like my 2000 then there is very little wiring to change assuming that you have the M50D transmission with wiring harness and the SOHC V6 engine wiring harness. C118 on the M50D harness should mate with C118 on the SOHC harness. Some changes may be required for some of the O2 sensors. Compare C169 and C182 on the SOHC harness for mating connectors on your body.

From my 2000 wiring diagrams it appears that the SOHC V6 was not manufactured with a manual transmission. Unless you find someone who can reprogram your PCM and tells you that it can support the SOHC V6 with a manual transmission you'll be spending a lot of time and money on something that will never run acceptably - if at all. I suggest that you tackle and solve the hardest obstacle first before making all of the changes that you may never be able to use. E-mail or call James Henson and ask if your swap is feasible.

Something to try

I've been looking at the OHV wiring diagrams. I assume that you are attempting to start your SOHC with the OHV PCM. Since you got the engine to crank, you have either wired in a clutch pedal position switch or have connected the starter motor relay solenoid to a +12Volt source (hopefully fuse 24 in the central junction box). The clutch pedal position switch has another pair of contacts for the PCM. The contacts are open when the clutch is engaged. If you create a connection between LB/YE wire connected to PCM pin 64 (clutch pedal position switch) and the GY/RD wire connected to PCM pin 91 (signal return) the PCM just might enable the fuel injectors. There are numerous places to connect to the GY/RD wire since it is connected to multiple sensor returns. For the LB/YE, there are a couple places that you could tie into it since it goes all the way to the DTR C112 connector via C113 and C202 (PCM connector). Before attempting the above you need to confirm that your 1999 wiring is the same since I am using my 2000 wiring diagrams.

Thanks for following me through all this mess, lol. And I did get a PCM for the sohc engine, they are totaly diff. No surprise right, haha nope. oh well, I have my automatic tranny Range position switch hooked up, thats why it cranks. I am now haveing problems with the stupid PATS bullshit. I have 2 keys programed for my PATS module. But the code dont go away. Has anybody ever bypassed that stupid no good Anti-Theft bullshit?

disabling PATS

PATS can be disabled with a custom tune. It is very difficult to disable it electrically. If it were easy, it would not provide adequate security.

Members could help more if they knew your configuration. So now it sounds like you're using the SOHC PCM.

1. Which engine wiring harness are you using (OHV or SOHC)?

2. Did you reprogram the original ignition keys? If so, did you reprogram them with the SOHC PCM? If so, how was that accomplished?

3. What code(s) are you getting?

If the "THEFT" light is on when the starter is cranking the PCM will not fire the fuel injectors.

I am still useing my ohv harness, only had to move 3 pins. I towed my truck to the ford dealership, they programed 2 brand new keys for me. Sadly i had to tow it home. PETE the service manager said it took the program and that was all he had 2 say.
Codes- Theft detected, ENGINE DISABLED!
My theft light has not blinked once since i put new motor and tranny in a month ago

Well i figured everything out, man i tell ya that was one project i will nvr forget. Feels like im rideing on a cloud, runs almost 2 perfect. lol if thats possible? I did a nice burn out from 0-25, she had more but i only got 25 miles on my all new drivetrain

Thanks for the help yall, im gonna be posting a ton of pics of it here shortly

so what was causing all the problems?

1 wire, one blk/white wire which is a frame ground. It looked solid, untill I bumped it and it just broke off. I tell u what, I was a bit pissed. more than that, but thats all Im going to say. lol

For anybody who wants to drop a manual in place of an automatic in say a 1999 explorer just ask me. See everyone from around where I live had no clue what was involved in detail. Well now i know exactly what 2 do, Thats how she goes sometimes

My modo, U can read a manual ALL DAY AND LEARN ALL THE INFO, BUT WITH NO HANDS ON, DID U LEARN ANYTHING? Lol, Trial an error and patience got me my new truck ive been dreaming of. Well it will be complete once i get that precision turbo on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PCM reprogrammed?

Congratulations on getting your 5 speed manual/SOHC V6 running!

So far I've learned from your posts:
1. That you used the original OHV wiring harness with a few changes;
2. That you used the SOHC PCM which was programmed by the Ford dealer for a new pair of keys.
3. That you did something with the connector that mates with the 5R55E range selector.

Were any program changes made to the SOHC PCM that originally was used with a 5R55E?

Did you end up making any dash wiring changes?

Back