• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Ford Explorer Sport Fluids- Converting To Fully Synthetic

gadgetball

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
So far I have called 4 dealerships with widely varying answers regarding fluids in my 2013 XSport. Maybe some of you can chime in (minus the pasive-aggressive "search is your friend" and "it's been covered in another thread" and "read your owners manual cover to cover, multiple times").
Let us keep in mind that I plan on doing a Livernois 93boost tune with .030 gapped sparks, 160 (or 170?) Tstat, and 3-bar map sensor.
The best info I could ascertain after spending my entire morning speaking to 4 local Ford dealerships:

1) Brake fluid- can be upgraded from DOT3 to DOT4. Some think the 2013 already has DOT4, some think its DOT3. Anyone know for sure? Their Motorcraft version is semisynthetic, but they said I could take it elsewhere for full synthetic ($250ish)

2) Transmission fluid- OEM is semisynthetic MERCON LV. Anyone have a recommendation for a full synthetic? ($250ish is the cost for synthetic service is what the tech told me)

3) Front differential- tech said it cannot be changed- it is a sealed unit. Anyone beg to differ?

4) Rear Differential- Tech said viscosity is 80w90. Anyone have suggestion for a good brand to use? Tech told me not to use Royal Purple since it has additives. ($150ish)

5) PTU- Tech thought it was 75w140? Said it could cost up to $150 to be serviced. Again he said not to use a fully synthetic gear oil that has additives. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

6) Coolant- Tech said its the orange stuff...what would that be? Should I just leave this alone? Any reason to swap this out or is it all the same? I will soon be running a cooler Thermostat...

7) Oil- The oil cap on my 2013 XSport says "5W30"...BUT the tech insisted I run 5W20! Does this sound right? Anyone object? Any opinions/suggestions on a good full synthetic oil? ($75)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
The 'orange stuff' is VC-3DIL-B (US) according to the Manual's list of specifications. It is a Pre-Diluted Antifreeze/Coolant.
The oil cap on mine also shows 5W-30 but the dealership always uses 5W-20 Premium oil (non synthetic).
For the PTU, my Manual shows Motorcraft SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle
Lubricant. It also confirms what the teach said about the rear differential (AWD) Motorcraft SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant.
Mobil 1 and Amsol both have synthetic transmission fluids with Amsol stating it has one for transmissions requiring Ford's MERCON® LV and SP fluid.
Hope that helps.

Peter

gadgetball

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport

I went to a Havoline Xpress Lube (Chevron) and for $275 they
-flushed and filled the transmission fluid with full synthetic ATF- the pics show the dirty fluid coming out and the new red fluid going in. 45,000 miles is where I'm at. Guess I'll go to 100,000 before changing it again?
-Havoline DS full synthetic 5w20 oil. What do you think? Go 6,000 miles before next oil change?
-GL-5 differential. They didn't have synthetic.

They were unable and unwilling to do the work it takes to get to the PTU drain plug. I wonder where to go to get this done? After replacing the transfer case on my previous Flex EB I am determined to get this flushed and filled!

Odrapnew

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I thought the Sport called for 5W-30? Turbo.

Non-turbo is 5W-20.

It does. Not sure why anyone would run anything but 5-30 in their 3.5 Ecoboost.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
As mentioned before, my dealer puts Premium 5W-20 in mine. When I asked about it they told me that is what they put in all of them. If it was actually my vehicle and not leased, I would probably use the 5W-30 Synthetic blend.

Peter

gadgetball

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
http://bestsyntheticoil.com/info/5w20-cafe.shtml

After reading this, and some back and forths in another Ford forum on w20 vs w30, I am inclined to stick with 5w30 at next oil change and on.
I have not tuned yet, but seems anyone with anything more than a stock turbo engine should be running synthetic 5w30.

Dr3mb0y

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hi guys!

Just want to ask if there is in fact a front differential or it's termed differently for the 5th generation Explorer. I have 90XXX miles on mine and I want to do gear oil and fluid changes for the front and rear differential, transmission, and PTU myself. As a Filipino foreigner in America, i find the cost of having the dealership do it to be very expensive. Searching online only gives repair information on the 3 except for the front differential.

Any technical advice will help.

Thanks in advance.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
The Owner's Manual shows a maintenance schedule of what needs to be done to which items at what intervals/mileage. There is a thread on doing the PTU oil change which is 'supposed' to be a lifetime fluid. I don't believe there is a front differential. I've never checked or read about one.

Peter

Dr3mb0y

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
That's my big question too. it has a fwd mechanism similar to cars and attached to a PTU towards the rear diff... and i was thinking maybe the lubrication/oil must be part of the engine or transmission or maybe a PTU?