• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Throttle Cable Mod

lycan91

Reaction score
City, State
Yreka CA population 7,500 just shy of oregon border
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Well after some time searching the forum and the internet, I found some info to help me do this write up on doing the throttle cable mod to my truck. (note my truck has a manual transmission so there is no kick down cable.)
My cost for doing this mod: $0. :D
Total time: aprox. 25 mins
What I used: Zip tie(s) (depending on the amount of slack in cable), wire snipers, Drip line tube dog had chewed off it's got a small diameter and its pretty stiff, razor blade.

First thing to do, pull gas pedal up twords the seat looking at the top of the pedal where the cable is attached to see how much slack is there you can measure it so you can figure how much tubing you will need.
(l;ost photos)
after this has been determined, find what ever it is that you want to use to keep the cable in that position. Me I used a drip line hose it has a small diameter and is pretty strong

Cut the hose to needed length w/ either scissors or wire snippers what ever you have that is closest or want to use, then take the razor blade and cut one side of the tube so you can put it over the cable like this:

Then take a wide zip tie or ties and place over the tubing, pull tight and snip off the excess.
[
sorry that pic is blurry but you can sorta see what im talking about. Then after all this is completed take truck for a test drive. Maybe someone could post where the kick down cable is so this thread could help everyone. After doing this mod to my truck I now have a better throttle response which makes me happy espesically since this mod cost me NOTHING! Hope this helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for submitting the article. I gave you three months Elite membership:chug:

pics no worky....

The FIRST thing you need to check is whether or not it's needed. To do that, disconnect the the intake tube from the throttle body and have somebody floor the gas pedal. With the gas pedal floored, the throttle butterfly should be horizontal in the throttle body. If it is, DO NOT perform this mod as flooring the accelerator pedal would then put extra strain on the pedal mounts, throttle cable, and throttle body itself.

The pics do not work either.

-Joe

sorry about the pics i thought they were going to work

I can't visualize this WITHOUT PICTIRES.

If it wasn't for the rubber catch-all floor mats, I wouldn't have needed it. I opted for just a tie wrap installed at the end.
as flooring the accelerator pedal would then put extra strain on the pedal mounts, throttle cable, and throttle body itself.
The spring gives you about 1/2inch to prevent over-stress. You don't need two people to do this. If you're under the dash and you see the spring compress when you floor the pedal, you know you've hit WOT.

Attachments

• tcable.jpg
    tcable.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 36,731

This is probably the greatest mod ever. It took me like 10 minutes to actually put the zip tie on. When my dad and I checked to see the throttle beforehand, we realized that it was only opening like 3/4 of the way at WOT. One zip tie took care of the slack and now it ACTUALLY DOWNSHIFTS when I floor it. It's like I'm driving a new car. Thank you for this write-up, so awesome.

I agree, I just did this mod myself, something happened to my truck when I gutted the interior or did all my mods and I couldn't reroute the cable to get the slack out. Does anyone know if the cable actually stretches out or is something else going on to cause the slack?

I used a small spring in place of where you guys were using the zip tie and that too worked great.

Anybody have current pics please. I'm another visual type and don't quite see what's going on.

This is a good idea, I hadn't thought of the pedal end of the cable.

must try this in the morning and ill take pics for you gator

Another way to check if it is needed-

connect a voltmeter to the TPS-
measure the voltage while holding the throttle wide open by hand-
now-floor the gas pedal to see if you can get the same voltage. If you can, the mod will only stress the cable as Gijoecam suggested, and have no benefit.

i just went out and did this and wow what a difference in how the pedal feels mine had lots of slack before now its tight and resposive gotta get used to it now lol thanks for the awesome mod!

dude thats pretty smart. the other day i was installing a new cd player head unit and i had to run some wires when i noticed the slack in my gas pedle now i no how to fix it thanks man! kudos!

The spring gives you about 1/2inch to prevent over-stress. You don't need two people to do this. If you're under the dash and you see the spring compress when you floor the pedal, you know you've hit WOT.

attachment.php

The spring that is pictured here on the cable - is that on all explorers? I know my friend that owned my explorer before me said something about how the pedal became disconnected, or something of that sort, and i do not have that spring, at all

attachment.php

The spring that is pictured here on the cable - is that on all explorers? I know my friend that owned my explorer before me said something about how the pedal became disconnected, or something of that sort, and i do not have that spring, at all
what kind of explorer do you have? maybe you need a whole new throttle cable.

Sorry - Its a 1997 EB with the 4.0L sohc motor

This is what mine looks like

Random007.jpg

Sorry - Its a 1997 EB with the 4.0L sohc motor

This is what mine looks like

Random007.jpg

auto or manual. you can still put something in there to take out the slack but if you have a auto be sure to do your kick down cable i dont know where thats at i have a manual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

auto or manual. you can still put something in there to take out the slack but if you have a auto be sure to do your kick down cable i dont know where thats at i have a manual.

Auto...but why would i have to do the kickdown cable also? I would have thought that doing just the throttle cable would be sufficient

Back