Ford Explorer XLT 1995

hatZim

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai, UAE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Greetings All,

I’m an extremely happy owner of a 1995 Ford Explorer XLT. It’s in brilliant condition, did its duty for 11 years in Japan. I bought two weeks ago, and it’s been trouble free considering its age. :thumbsup:

I did my homework, read through the forum thoroughly, and looked for all the tell tale signs that experts here have been discussing.

Mileage: 60,000 Miles (At least that’s what the ODO shows)

However there are a few nits that I’d like to iron out.

1. Parking brake light does not always come on, vehicle still rolls ( I did drive it a bit on a couple of occasions with the brake engaged, wasn’t used to the foot brake pedal, could that be the reason?)
2. Front grille has weird golden-yellow paint on it. Comes off when scraped, don’t know how to get rid of it, and don’t know how to get the original chrome finish.
3. No power to Ford’s 6 CD changer
4. Doors Creak (All doors, even the boot/hatch/glass door)
5. Car smells. Yip, it’s bad enough to complain about (It’s not cigarette related, just a bit musty I’d say)
6. Only one key was given to me by the dealer. No remote was given, too.

My primary concern as of now is the weird golden-yellow paint that I’d like to remove off the grille. If I scratch lightly with a sharp object, then I can see chrome underneath.

Would really appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, and comments…

Best regards.

You might try, "gel type paint remover." Test in a small area, before using it on the complete grille.

Door hindge....may just need grease.

Smells.......clean it out.......check for wet carpets (leak).

You could try FORD dealership for key code and cut a new master from the code............as for the remote, ask about it while you're there. Personally, I don't even KNOW if it was a standard or optional item.

You might want to open up the parking brakes and check in there.

Aloha, Mark

Thanks!

Thanks Mark,

Will give these a try over this weekend.

Personally, none of these are really all that bothersome. I'm really happy the way it is, all the mechanical bits run really well—it's solid. Rides a bit rough, and is a bit bumpy, but that's what it is supposed to do I guess.

Works!

I tried a nail polish remover over a small patch, and it works! This golden-yellow paint is coming off the chrome grille. Before I continue with the rest of the grille, is this nail polish remove OK for chrome? Will it remove the chrome in some way? I don't want it to look any bad than it already is.

Thanks.

Back