• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer

bigjdc

Reaction score
City, State
Fareham, Hampshire, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all,

Brought my self a Explorer over 6 months ago from ebay, Love the truck. Lifted 2" body another 2" suspension.

Stuck some 33" and it looks fantastic!

BUT!!

I have been experiencing problems with the 4x4 drive system, if that the 4x4 light shows on the dash - but no drive to front wheels. I have been looking at the USA site for days trying to find some idea of what the problem could be.

I have replaced the TOD relay and 4x4 Module - Still no luck!

Any Idea's - I think it may be the clutch in the TB - Is there a way to bypass / weld the clutch in place so it's constant 4x4 ???

Cheers
Joe

my firsty point of call would be the connector block for the wiring to the transfer case and motor. It is located on the n/s just at the rear of the motor on the case. I would disconnect and spray inside both parts with electrical contact cleaner then connect/disconnect a few times.

Do you get 4hi (you can select on the fly) or 4low (stationary, foot on brake in N, you will hear a clunk in)?

EDIT: Just did a tiny bit of reading and.... Check all of your fuses as some threads refer to flashing 4x4 lights when they have a dome light fuse blown or other random cabin stuff. I think this may relate to the sensitivity of the GEM . Also there is a second relay relating to the transfer case.

I also read that a couple of people had pulled out the sensor from the TC and cleaned it and the connector for it and that had worked.

Also disconnect the battery for 30 sec and press the brake pedal then reconnect to reset everything.

For some information on how our TC works have a read of this thread Clicky

good luck

Back