Ford f-150 svt raptor r captures podium finish; off-road enthusiasts hear raptor pric | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford f-150 svt raptor r captures podium finish; off-road enthusiasts hear raptor pric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was on board till I found out it did't have a very high tow rating. :thumbdwn: So I'll keep my '05. However at least the blacked out lights on the raptor look way better then the cheap chrome looking ones on the '09's:rolleyes:

It's probably not designed to tow - much like the Lightenings and Harley Davidson trucks. Ford can trim a lot of weight off the truck/frame by eliminating the towing capability.

The more weight they can save, the faster they can go! :cool:

Not bad for 40 grand, kinda funny the exterior graphics costs over $1,000 but the awesome interior package is just $400.

I'm sure the horrible tow rating has to do with the tweaks involved in lifting it to fit 35's and having the suspension soft enough to absorb the impacts from jumps they are advertising it can do.

I think it's pretty incredible they are selling this thing on the basis that it can be launched into the air. Should be interesting to see what happens when someone launches one and rolls it.

Awesome vehicle in any case, between the Raptor, the Taurus SHO, and the Shelby GT500, Ford sure has a nice lineup for a crisis year.

That is an impressive truck for that price. And I agree, towing 6K vs. 11,300 of the other F150s is a downer. I wonder what the reasoning is? Soft rear leafs? If so it's nothing a set of air bags couldn't get back under control. Is this only a 4wd? The ones they show are 4x4, but I wonder if they offer a 2wd model.

If you want to laugh, read the comments posted here
http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-f-150-raptor.html

People are so dumb, the "Get a jeep wrangler" thing is comical because a full size desert truck vs. the idea a jeep is the only off highway vehicle is so foolish.

If retail is $38K, I wonder what they are really going to sell for. I'd honestly be tempted to try one out for $32K if I could still tow my Explorer with it, it's pretty hawt with a few cosmetic issues that I know will grow on me.

I was invited to go see the Raptor when it was here in Denver at teh auto show, a private viewing and Q & A with Ford designers..i had to pass because it was snowing and my baby was due any day..... figures!!

$40K is about 20K under what I was hearing they would cost

I believe MoabB2 is getting one :)

well thats the best marketing they could ever do, underpromise and overdeliver.

They should figure out a way to build the body structure strong enough to comply with roll cage standards with stronger A, B & C pillars. Now that would be revolutionizing the industry.

they dont want roll cage standards = 5 point harness
they want crush zones and airbags

people wont strap themselves in all the time, ever plus we need to make super expensive air bags come from every interior panel until you land like the mars rover

I don't think air bags would work too well on a truck with that much rear travel. It just has standard F-150 rear springs, so the limiting factor is most likely the tire size, even with the lower 4.10 gears. It's probably underrated for towing, anyway, so heavy duty users don't buy it and expect it to tow the same.

Normally I'd think a limited production vehicle like this would go for over it's suggested retail price, but with the economy and gas prices making big fullsize gas guzzlers less popular, it's likely these will just be selling for retail to customers who custom order them.

I would hold out for the 6.2L, though. Same gas mileage, and lots more torque and HP, plus even more with E85.

I would hold out for the 6.2L, though. Same gas mileage, and lots more torque and HP, plus even more with E85.

Very untrue about E85!

Jeff - :navajo:

Very untrue about E85!

Ok well, according to Ford's advertising for the soon-to-be-optional 6.2L BOSS, it makes much more power and torque on E85 compared to standard unleaded. :rolleyes:

Well, I think I just found my next truck.
For 40K....I guess I better hold on to my X a little longer. :D

damn school loans

Kinda funny that this thread popped back. I was heading back down to LA from Reno yesterday and as i was driving down 395 with all the Burning Man Hippies :D I saw a Raptor sitting at a Ford Dealer In Carson City NV.:thumbsup:

Those trucks are sweet! Something like 13 inches of travel in the rear, 11 or so in front, internal bypass shocks, Rear locker available at any time (not just low range). For like 40K, not too bad.

Kinda funny that this thread popped back. I was heading back down to LA from Reno yesterday and as i was driving down 395 with all the Burning Man Hippies :D I saw a Raptor sitting at a Ford Dealer In Carson City NV.:thumbsup:

LOL- that's what made me bring the post back! I actually live in carson city and had a chance to test drive that big black one they had at the front of the dealership. Beautiful truck. I also saw a ton of you guys coming back from burning man. You guys sure do get dusty out there! :D :p:

Ive seen a few of them, and rode in one. They are pretty nice, and perform decent for what it is. The price totally kills it though lol.

You would think, but the entire first year run was sold out before they even hit the street. and they are all 5.4's. The V8 wasn't even available for order before they sold out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would think, but the entire first year run was sold out before they even hit the street. and they are all 5.4's. The V8 wasn't even available for order before they sold out.

Um the 5.4 is a v8:D just not the big v8 everyone wants

Back