• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Ford Fusion idler pulley bolt breaking

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Have a co-worker with a Fusion (2.3) that breaks the idler pulls bolt every few months. Looking online this seems to be a very common problem. There didn’t seem to be a definitive fix for it, so I figured I’d ask here. Tensioner is recent, and the belt tension seems reasonable. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Bump

Mr. Alligator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
Has anyone looked for higher grade/strength bolts?

Just a thought. Good luck.

Reactions: imp

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I believe it was replaced with a 12.9 grade. The guy is a maintenance mechanic for a living, so I’m assuming he’s not doing something stupid like over-torquing the bolt.

Reactions: imp

Mr. Alligator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
Here are some ideas from Ford Fusion Forum.... maybe some help....

Posted September 3, 2014
Just wanted to post an FYI as I have been having this issue for the last 2 1/2 years and have gone through 14 idler pulley bolts. Finally found that the threads on the front cover where the idler pulley bolts to are worn out, so the idler pulley will bolt on, but not securely causing wear and friction to eventually shear the bolt. Just got it replaced so I will update in a couple of months with whether or not it finally fixed the issue. I have high hopes as I have replaced everything else in the accessory belt chain except the A/C compressor which had a full diagnostic run with no problems.

Posted October 21, 2015
My idler pulley broke at 137,000 and I replaced it with a grade 12.9... which broke about 2000 miles later! Finding no other issues with the belt system but indeed finding LOTS of posts of the same problem, this time I drilled the hole to 11/32" and tapped it for a 10mm bolt to replace that little 8mm bolt...the cast slot in the timing cover is already large enough, and drilling the pulley bearing bushing to 13/32" was also easy enough. Access to the engine was achieved by lowering the R/side cradle and engine mount, then drilling a hole just below the welded frame near the brake line retainer... I had to grind a hex on my drill bit to accept a 6" hex extension to reach the engine block, but the drilling took less than one minute! Let's hope this stronger bolt fixes the problem for good.

Hope something works! Good luck.

Tmwcc

Reaction score
City, State
Greendale
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 fusion sel
Have a co-worker with a Fusion (2.3) that breaks the idler pulls bolt every few months. Looking online this seems to be a very common problem. There didn’t seem to be a definitive fix for it, so I figured I’d ask here. Tensioner is recent, and the belt tension seems reasonable. Any ideas?

Perfect fix! Same problem. Terrible design by Ford. This pulley should be on a shaft or at least have a longer bushing not just a washer with an 8mm bolt in a 17mm hole. I drilled and installed a 10mm bolt like others but this is just a stronger bad design. After downloading pulley specs I came up with a pulley from a GM 6.6 duratec engine. Duralast part no. 231165. The pulley is the same diameter at 76mm but the center bearing hole is 10.6mm so it fits perfect on the bolt with very little play. The center bushing is built into the pulley and you're bolting direct with no added spacer or washer.

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
Drilled the rear idler pulley bolt out to a M10x1.5 in my 2.5 duratec swap in my Focus. Figured I'd post up the pics. Not sure this can be done in the car as it's super tight in there.

20200118_150513.jpg

20200118_153055.jpg

20200118_153106.jpg

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I’m sure this is the “correct” fix. Unfortunately, his correct fix was his daughter getting a little buck fever and scooping Bambi on The highway at 70.

Tmwcc

Reaction score
City, State
Greendale
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 fusion sel
Now get a 231165 pulley. Look it up on Google or auto zone. You'll understand why it's the best way to go. I can't seem to post pictures

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S My dad's new car 2012 ford fusion se Ford Lincoln Mercury 8
M 2010 Ford Fusion headrest removal? Ford Lincoln Mercury 4
shucker1 3.0L Ford Vulcan Engine Ford Lincoln Mercury 4
Icuff4cash Ford 5.4L with bad rollers. Rockers failed. Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
B 2009 Ford Edge Shocks Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
Icuff4cash Dual disc caliper installation on a Ford Mustang. Ford Lincoln Mercury 12
traveler CEL and other issue 2001 Ford Focus (Zetec) Ford Lincoln Mercury 2
A My other rides (Ford Panther content) Ford Lincoln Mercury 3
S Thoughts on the (2011-14) Ford Edge Sport ? Ford Lincoln Mercury 2
NICE59FORDF100 Nice59FordF100's New 2005 Ford Thunderbird (Dion Bandit) Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
JDraper 1969 Ford Shelby Mustang GT-500 428 Cobra Jet – One Owner - 8,531 original miles Ford Lincoln Mercury 3
JDraper Ford FE Reunion Drag Day at Beaver Springs Ford Lincoln Mercury 1
4 92 Ford F150 Manual Transmission Ford Lincoln Mercury 23
BrooklynBay The oldest remaining 1903 Ford Model A is for sale. Ford Lincoln Mercury 1
S 79 ford bronco not starting Ford Lincoln Mercury 4
H 1998 Ford Contour. Tail light socket issue. Ford Lincoln Mercury 3
Gatortailale Ford builds "Red Tails" Mustang for charity Ford Lincoln Mercury 1
B 1995 Ford Taurus 3.0L shutting down Ford Lincoln Mercury 3
LONO100 Fellas i need non x advice on a ford probe!!! Ford Lincoln Mercury 3
X I need help with a Ford Taurus. Ford Lincoln Mercury 3
JDraper 1949 Ford Custom Restoration Project Ford Lincoln Mercury 20
Nedwreck Merc Mystique / Ford Contour tanny help? Ford Lincoln Mercury 8
xFatcatx 1978 3/4 ton 2wd Ford rear end pinion seal. Ford Lincoln Mercury 8
leebo Back to the Ford Family Ford Lincoln Mercury 10
S Ford Taurus / Mercury Sable V6 Thermostat Ford Lincoln Mercury 3
M Econoline 150 Ford van purge valve location. Ford Lincoln Mercury 2
Tbars4 Ford Recalls F-150 Pickups Ford Lincoln Mercury 9
1Aauto Replace Install Ignition Coil 2.0L 2.4L 4.6L 5.0L V8 Ford F150 Explorer Ford Lincoln Mercury 1
R 1988 Ford F-150 5.0 Lariet Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
XLT Ford Windstar with dead transmission Ford Lincoln Mercury 4
J 02 ford escape axel seal leak help Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
X Good cheap place in Buffalo NY suburbs for struts-Ford Contour Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
D Test drove the whole new lineup of Ford F150's! Ford Lincoln Mercury 1
Maniak Alternator wiring with ammeter.. Ford 1G alternator Ford Lincoln Mercury 2
T 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
big5dogg 1997 ford taurus po411 code Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
5 Not an explorer, but still a ford Ford Lincoln Mercury 5
B 2011 Ford Fiesta. Ya'll got thoughts, I know it... Ford Lincoln Mercury 6
R question about ford escape Ford Lincoln Mercury 13
J Ford Escape Ford Lincoln Mercury 1
L 1994 ford f150 keless entry Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
XLT Ford Windstar electric problem help Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
A Ford Shay, anybody own one? Ford Lincoln Mercury 1
J ford windstar code Ford Lincoln Mercury 1
Stic-o Ford to offer 0% for 72months on '10 Ex and Ranger Ford Lincoln Mercury 1
D I need a fuse block diagram for a 2004 Ford F150. Ford Lincoln Mercury 2
D Added another Ford, fo SHO! Ford Lincoln Mercury 20
J 2002 ford taurus ax4s tranny rebuilding Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
X6StringerX 2005 Ford Focus: Hard Start, Start and Die, and Park and Die Ford Lincoln Mercury 0
SVO Ford Truck Restoration Ford Lincoln Mercury 1