FORD gets a GreenPeace stamp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FORD gets a GreenPeace stamp?

T-Bone

Reaction score
Don't know if this has been discussed. Last week Ford announced that it would be making changes to its SUVs to tighten the emisions even more, something like 25%. I heard the whole story on National Public Radio but as usual, forget the details. My first thought was: are they going to be making these trucks anemic? Are mods going to be harder to do on their future engines.
Many wondered why Ford took the first step. Industry analysts seem to think this was a combination of two things: The government will be cracking down eventually on this, so why not take the first step and not have the gov. calling the shots. And two, this could make Ford's image have a "green friendly" face, which results in...more sales..which in turn...er...um..makes more emissions. Anyway....did I get this right?

T-Bone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I read in the paper was that Ford is going to increase SUV gas mileage by 25%.

I didnt read that specificly... but I heard they were doing things to drasticly increase milage as lewdog said. This was awhile ago though...

nick

That's sorta right, but not quite

As usual the media got the parts right that they wanted to and confused the rest.

Ford has stated they are moving toward increasing the gas mileage and improve emissions of their SUV fleet by 25%. Notice the word "fleet", as in, the collective mileage of the entire line. A very large portion of that 25% increase in fuel effeciency will occur instantaneously the day they release the Escape.

I don't think we are going to see Ford taking the top selling SUV in the world and kill the line by turning it into a 30 mpg Kia Sportage clone anytime in the near future.

Just my extry peso's opinion.

I hear that some manufacturer was releasing an emmisions freindly vehicle that uses a regular gasoline powered engine with a large electrical motor commected to it too assist the engine. The motor was connected to the engine in a way that helped turn the engine. The result was about 100 more horsepower and a huge gain in gas mileage. I wonde if there are any aftermarket companies that can use this design to put out a kit to retrofit older cars. Imagine 100 extrahorsepower, and fuel mileage in the 30's.

Back