Ford has released tsb for squeaking brakes!!!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford has released tsb for squeaking brakes!!!!

IMHO and experience - squeaky brakes MAY be caused by not bedding in the brake pads properly and they glaze over--- not always, but sometimes - do a google search and see the many references/suggestions...

but it is aggravating on a new car...

on edit, remember a triumph convertible I had that we would take the pads off and cut a slice down the center with a hack saw to stop the noise :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TSB covered if out of warranty

Guys,

I too have the squealing issue with the brakes. I had them checked at least three different times (at my local shop...not ford service) thinking the pads need to be replaced. My question is...will the TSB cover me if I am out of warranty or only in warranty cars?

Also, is there a link somewhere to the TSB?

Thanks,
Collins

Tsbs are only covered during the 3yr/36 warranty unless you have an ESP that would cover that particular part.. Normally with brakes being a wear item, they would fall under the 1yr/12k warranty.

Look in the tsb sticky at the top of the forum.

My 2014 Explorer is making the grinding noise from the rear brakes after vehicle has been sitting, only seems to be doing it after driving in wet conditions. Anyone else have same problem?

My 2014 Explorer is making the grinding noise from the rear brakes after vehicle has been sitting, only seems to be doing it after driving in wet conditions...

Hi firemarshall19,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can check things out. Additionally, I'd like to do what I can to help; send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. As soon as I have that info, I'll be able to look into ways to assist.

Crystal

Crystal, I am also having this issue. I have a brand new 2014 Explorer Limited with 1000 miles on it. When I go to leave for work every morning, as I'm backing out of the driveway when I touch the brakes they grind. It goes away once my speed increases and I touch the brakes and I don't hear it again until the truck has been sitting for a while. I can feel and hear it. It rained last night and this morning along with the grinding noise they squealed a little bit. I'm not happy about this with a brand new vehicle. I actually had a 2005 Explorer before this and it had the exact same issue except that it only squealed, no grinding. I brought the 2005 to the Ford dealership repeatedly only to be told "some brakes just do that, nothing we can do about it."

I'm not accepting that response with this brand new 2014.

Crystal, I am also having this issue...

Hi BMB,

Send me your info in a PM so I can see how to best assist. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I have a 2013 Edge with only about 8500 miles. Every time my brakes get wet they grind. Dealer has gotten info from corporate saying this is "an acceptable condition" since the brake pads that are used absorb water and expand. After you use the brakes 5 or 6 times they heat up and go back to normal.

Also not an acceptable answer. The way I see it is if the brakes are that loosely packed that they absorb water then 1) what is to stop them from wearing out faster and 2) what is the safety risk here if they crumble/crack and fail?

I have a 2013 Edge with only about 8500 miles. Every time my brakes get wet they grind...

I'll be happy to look into this, Techmandan. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership so I can start investigating some options.

Crystal

Ok, so I just got back from the dealership. The service guy new what I was going to describe before I even explained the issue. He said it is normal to hear some faint grinding/squealing first thing in the morning as the condensation builds on the brakes. Once you touch them a couple of times this burns off and you don't hear it again. He said this is normal for not only Explorer's, but also F-150's or any other type of Ford. He said people bring their vehicles in all the time for this, but it is normal. I'm OK with this explanation. He did say that if I heard it any other time during the day after I had been driving that would be different and I should bring it in, but first thing in the morning the first time I touch my brakes, don't worry about it.

I'm going to keep an eye on things to be sure I don't see or hear anything different, but for now I'm satisfied. I hope this info helps someone else.

Crystal, thank you very much for your help.

This happens every time the brakes get wet - rain, car wash, etc. Driving during rain it happens without end since the pads are getting wet constantly. Never happend on my Escape or any other vehicle I have ever driven.

No, definitely not rust. Rust does not accumulate the instant a pad gets wet nor does it accumulate instantly as you drive through a puddle

for what its worth...

I've experienced a grinding sound coming from the brakes when driving first thing in the morning on my wifes 2010 Edge.
My father in law is a service manager for a ford dealership and has inspected my wifes edge at length with great care and determined it to be rust build up on the rotors which is removed after a few stops.
After paying close attention for a month of so I've determined his diagnosis to be accurate.
I've noticed the same symptoms on my 2014 Explorer.

Take a look at the rotors before you hop in the car, listen for the grinding/scraping once it stops hop out and check the rotors again.

Guys there is a known issue with 14 Sport rear brakes squealing. I took some video and sent it to the brake Engineering team in Dearborn MI. They are aware and are reviewing it.

Mine squeal in the rear only and only when moist conditions. I have 6500mi on OD.

Best thing to do is escalate through CS reps here on forum as they suggested already. It gets back to Engineering team right away and the more complaints the more resources get assigned.

We had an issue with Interceptor front brakes squealing, Engineering changed the pads with a chamfer on pad leading edge and a rubber shim between pad and piston.

I will update with more if I get it but please submit complaints through CS so more attention is given.

I have made a few posts in the past related to these same issues with our 2013 XLT. We noticed during the 1st winter we drove it (2012/2013) there was a strong rubbing sound coming from the front brakes when we backed out of the driveway - then it would go away. This also happened when it rained. We were told this is normal and posed no problem. This last winter not only did the rubbing sound get worse - we started to hear a chirping sound that i can best describe as the wear sensor sound you hear on certain brake pads. It too would go away when the brakes were applied. The car just past inspection so i knew the pads were all in great shape (22K miles on the vehicle).

We took the vehicle into the dealer in early May. They told us the rubbing sound was common when backing up due to the grain/metal fibers in the brake pad. They said the chirping/squealing sound was caused by a misaligned element in the caliper that needs to be cleaned and adjusted annually(?). They performed that and cut all the rotors (hate to see that with only 22K miles) - and the problem has not reoccured since - but it's only been a month. Did the work they said was ~$450.00 at no charge - they said the work was not covered under warranty, but waived the cost under "customer satisfaction"! I have a feeling this will happen again in a few months - and i will be back...

Back