Ford is sued for making too many 'limited edition' Mustangs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford is sued for making too many 'limited edition' Mustangs.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/...g-sales/?icid=200100397x1206815593x1200357305

When you sell something as a "limited edition," you better mean it. But it turns out that a recent limited edition of the Ford (NYSE: F) Mustang was not that limited after all. Now, a group of angry Mustang buyers are taking legal action against the troubled automaker.

Ford claimed that only 100 of the 2007 Roush Stage 3 BlackJack Mustangs would be made in 2007, and fans snatched them up as they went on sale. The car which cost $59,000, was continued in 2008, and another 100 were made by Ford, and Roush Performance Products. That fact didn't sit well with those who had purchased the 2007 model. (I remember the Chevy Camaro, and Ford Mustang fanatics of the 70s, and 80s. Fans of both can be quite intense, and still dote on their treasured vehicles to this day).

In the end, "limited" doesn't really mean anything. The number can refer to 10 or 1,000. The lawsuit states that the value of each of the 2007 Mustangs was harmed by the additional 100 cars made in 2008. But is this what true fans are really worried about? I doubt it. It's hard to think of these vehicles as long-term investments. Their attraction comes more from being something unique. Perhaps it's a bit of both. The lawsuit is claiming more than $12 million in damages. Doing the math, 100 vehicles times $59,000 equals just over $5.9 million. Multiply that by two, and you get something close to $12 million. Apparently, the entire value of all 200 Mustangs from 2007 and 2008 are at issue here.

Could it really be just about money or is it more a matter of bruised egos? Either way, it could be expensive for Ford which can't afford to lose another penny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No doubt- go get jobs. First, if you're that broke, you shouldn't have spent $60,000 on a Mustang. Second, I'd like to see the paperwork that specifically states guaranteed production numbers and specifically states future values- because that's what they apparently expected Ford to do- guarantee value. How are they supposed to guarantee an uptick in value?

As long as they only produced the specified number for the particular vehicle year I don't see a problem. If they said only 100 were to be made in '07 and they built more '07s that IS a problem. An '08 isn't an '07, so the count should start again.

trouble

if there is not a real difference between the 07 and 08 except for production year, they have a case

Of course there is a difference if it's a model year- what are you talking about? The whole investment market for cars is based on numbers matching cars- if it's an 07, that's different than an 08.

When did cars become 100% investments- and when did investments become risk free? Ford met their production numbers, these guys just see their 'investments' not doing well and want out.

people bought these cars because they wanted a #x out of 100 series... if they can prove that being #x out of 200 caused them financial harm... they have a case. Imagine if you were #100, just paid full sticker or higher to get the last one... only to have Ford say fooled you and crank out another 100.

When have cars become investments? A better question would be, where have you been the last 100 years? :confused:

Ford is going to say the 2008 is a completely different series of limited vehicles. The 2007 mob will say no way it's a continuation of the same series. The court will have to determine the definition of limited and then if Ford was deceptive.

BrooklynBay -- 2x damages is actually on the low side for consumer fraud cases... depends on the state but often 3x is normal

My personal opinion of anyone involved in this lawsuit is that they should have to give back their mustangs without refunds for being jackasses. as a devout mustang fan, owner and tattoo'd enthusiast these guys can surrender their man cards and mustangs to me personally. now onto the important parts. first off suing ford isn't gonna get them far as Roush Mustangs are built by ROUSH, not ford. they may be sold at authorized ford dealers but are a Roush product by all means. before roush got ahold of them they were run of the mill mustangs (I bet the people that bought them didn't know that). production year does mean a lot too tho, 67 and 68 shelby's with all the same options have a slight difference in price but not much. If a judge rules in their favor this could kill limited edition everythings. It'll also set a precedent that owners of limited edition explorers can sue for because more than 1 year was made. I see this lawsuit falling on it's face and hope that the guy that filed it wrecks his limited edition mustang and only gets retail value for it. It's a sad fate for a mustang but at least some asshat wouldn't own it. I'll quit rambling now..............

The only way I could see an issue here would be if all 100 cars were made by, oh lets say February 2007, then Ford decided to start making the next 100 2008 limited edition Mustangs while they were still stamping out 2007 "regular" mustangs.

I went around with a bunch of stuff like this on custom orders when I was in the boat industry. It's quite strange what can push up or delay a model release. Manufacturers would release a new model and call it an '06 even though they were building the boats in Jan of '05 and every other model going down the exact same assembly line were being stamped as '05s.

A law suit with chevy was just like this. The had a limited run of 454SS trucks. The limit seemed to be how many could they sell not make. A friend of mine bought one of the first ones to spec on. I do not remember if their suit made it.

whatever happend to people that bought cars to drive not as an investment.

The idea of having a car as "limited" but not really being "limited" is nothing new. Holy crap doesn't anyone remember the like 1983 Ford LTD's? They were limited to however many they could sell.

Personally I think these people need to get a life. But then again, I didn't drop 60k on a car because of its "collectible" value. If I had, maybe I'd feel differently. If I had that kind of money I think I'd recognize that I had one of 100 07 Roush's and feel pretty proud of that, rather then get pissed off because they made another 100 in 08.

I think that there needs to be a change in the way lawsuits work in this country if we really want to succeed. One of the reasons we have the eeconomic problems we have, whether people like to admit it or not, is often because of lawsuits, and everything that goes into it. The reason your health insurance is so outrageously priced isn't just because your doctors want to pay off their medical school and still make a decent wage, but because everyone that has had anything wrong happen to them is suing and winning millions and millions of dollars, that come out of insurance, and therefore get passed on to everyone else.
There was a lawsuit here where a guy got sick from a jalapaeno he bought at wal mart (the suit was announced after the FDA said jalapenos were the problem not tomatoes) and was suing wal-mart for like $7 million or something like that.
There was another case where a woman bought a scratch ticket to a game with a $100,000 prize. She later found out the prize had been awarded weeks before she even bought the ticket and was suing for $100,005 (the prize amount as well as the $5 she spent).

The fact that cases like this even make it to trial are a complete mockery and I'm sure we are being laughed at around the country. Don't even get me started on all the rediculous lawsuits that actually win millions of dollars.

^you got that right complete BS hell 200 is still limited if you ask me and being 100 of 07 or 08 still makes it limited. If ford just starting rolling them out as fast as they can it would be a different story. Hell if i had 60k i could build some thing one of a kinda and be just as good looking and preform just as good too.

Sorry I said being laughed at around the country, I meant out country being laughed out around the world. That'll teach me to proofread! :)

this is the only reason there still selling mustangs.:rolleyes: Limited Editions

The point was 100% guaranteed investments. Sure some are investments. But these are not them. They call the California specials 'limited editions' are those going to rise in value? Right. The're trying to guarantee their money on the backs of a depreciable asset.

That's it! I'm going to sue them also. I have a Limited Explorer and they made 2 Gazillion of them. That is not very Limited is it?:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back