Ford/JBL Clarion 6 disc Changer

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
After going though the junk yard on Wednesday, I found out that the 6 disc changer in my '96 Explorer was made by Clarion. although all the stuff on the changer says Ford, it looks exactly like Clarion changers I have seen. Heck even a few of the Explorers in the yard had cartridges that said Clarion on them.

sooooo. my question is, where is the controller for the changer at in the truck, or is it built into the head unit, or rear amp? I will be installing a new Alpine CDE-HD137BT head unit and I really like my changer, and having 6 CD's to flip though. If it is built in, is it possible to get a Clarion controller so I can hook it up to my new head unit I will be installing soon?

I know what everybody is going to say, yes I can have MP3's, yes I am sure it is complicated, but MP3 s are not nearly as high of quality as CD's, and I am sure it can be done, I want to know if It has, or if it really is way too complicated.

the factory 6 disc changer in the center console has the controls built into the stock head unit. To be honest that 6 disc changer is a POS honestly. They often jam or just refuse to work.

Blee's right, If you take away the factory headunit you take away the controls. Most of aftermarket manufactures are going away from the CD changers. You might want to consider lossless digital formats for better sound quality.

Darn... oh well, I guess I will just take it out, and hold onto it just in case I ever want to sell it. This is OK, now I will have a spot for my CB Radio. I understand now a days kids don't care about quality, they are fine with there ipod headphones, and 128kbps MP3's. I already have quite a large collection of lossless albums, looks like I will have to get a bigger USB stick, or a portable HDD.

Back