ford limited 1997

Andrej Navara

Reaction score
City, State
Slovakia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Limited
Hi Can you help me.

I have 1997 Ford Explorer Limited 4.0 V6 and I need some advice because my instrumental cluster is different from common 1997 Ford Explore(because I have Limited edition). Is for this type of Ford Explore owners manual? My car is showing me something on my cluster, it is in its right corner, but this light is not in common 1997 owners manual and my cluster is different.

that sign looks like a traffic signs -( for example - No left turn ) but inside is a letter "D" and this all is lighting in short intervals like an attention.

Please, do you know somebody who has an owners manual for this limited ford?

Thank you .
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Andy, if you can post a photo of the light, we might be able to help out for sure. As far as I know, all the instrument clusters are wired the same, but some of the export models have a few different symbols on them. The symbol may be different, but the meaning is the same.

As for yours, based on your description of the location, on the right side of the cluster, there are a total of four lights. The top one is near the low side of the oil pressure gauge, and that's illuminated for the speed control. The next two are the '4wd' and '4wd low' lights if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. The bottom one should be right below the low side of the low battery gauge and is the Overdrive Off light. This light will also blink if the transmission is having problems. I suspect that's the problem you have.

Does that help?

-Joe

gijoecam said:
Andy, if you can post a photo of the light, we might be able to help out for sure. As far as I know, all the instrument clusters are wired the same, but some of the export models have a few different symbols on them. The symbol may be different, but the meaning is the same.

As for yours, based on your description of the location, on the right side of the cluster, there are a total of four lights. The top one is near the low side of the oil pressure gauge, and that's illuminated for the speed control. The next two are the '4wd' and '4wd low' lights if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. The bottom one should be right below the low side of the low battery gauge and is the Overdrive Off light. This light will also blink if the transmission is having problems. I suspect that's the problem you have.

Does that help?

-Joe

Hi Joe, I have a little problem-I don't know how to send U a picture in this chat. Do U have an email, where I can send this pic? Or some help with sending pic via this chat?

Andy

sounds like a flashing Overdrive Light indicating transmission problems

I'd post the pic he sent me, but I'd get yelled at :rolleyes:

But its a D with the no parking round circle with the slash through it. I've honestly never heard/seen of it.

Judging by the pic he sent me its the the O/D Off light. Unless its just a different symbol.

When you drive the truck, does it shift through all 4(5?) Gears? What are the RPMs at 100km/h?

My truck is running on LPG as well. Do U think, it cause my problem? I am really confused, cause I can't find somebody with exactly same truck, I really need its owners manual copy :-( What did U mean with RPMs?

rpms are revolutions per minute

this site is primarily US based explorers and i doubt any of the US based explorers run lpg..... so the US manual probably would be a completee different animal than your truck

IAmTodd said:
I'd post the pic he sent me, but I'd get yelled at :rolleyes:

But its a D with the no parking round circle with the slash through it. I've honestly never heard/seen of it.

Judging by the pic he sent me its the the O/D Off light. Unless its just a different symbol.

When you drive the truck, does it shift through all 4(5?) Gears? What are the RPMs at 100km/h?

My truck is running on LPG as well. Do U think, it cause my problem? I am really confused, cause I can't find somebody with exactly same truck, I really need its owners manual copy :-( Thank you for your help.

This is the light:
8799ShowLetter.jpg

I posted a link in your other thread to the US Owner's Manual, but this light is not found in US models. I would assume it states that the overdrive is on (or off?). We have a couple of members here with European models, so maybe they can help, or maybe you can send them a private message to see if they have a manual..................."Howard" and "smoke grinder" are the two I can think of off the top of my head.

You should have a button on the gear selector (column mount or floor shifter) that turns the OD on and off. If you start your Explorer, and play with this button, does the light turn on and off?

Robb, since you have the picture, where, exactly, is the light at?

And why can't you post the picture?

-Joe

That is the picture I was sent. :D

I am going to PM Howard in case he hasn't seen this thread. He may be able to help more with this European stuff.

Howard said:
As I said in my pm it is the od light so it means that you have transmission troubles.

What I should to do before wisiting the ford servis?

Do some reading. Search for flashing od light. There3 are many reasons and the thing to do is get the error code read with a scanner. Then you can decide whether to fix the tranny or replace it.

Back