Ford Locked Me Out Of A 2020 Explorer Experience | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Locked Me Out Of A 2020 Explorer Experience

Larrybob

Reaction score
City, State
Jasper
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Been seriously considering an ST. One consideration for me is the reported interior rework providing additional hip room and generally better space. I want a full size feel like you'd get from an Expedition or Tahoe. In Birmingham, AL they are having a dealers car show. In the promotion they hype having a 2020 Explorer on site. Included is interior photos. Great! This is my opportunity to experience the interior and determine if it's worth waiting for my order. Left work early. Drove over an hour in heavy traffic.
Found the 2020 Explorer. Door is locked. Approached a group of Ford people. Requested they unlock the vehicle and allow me to sit in it. I was told the car is a prototype and cannot be entered. We talked further. But they would not be swayed. Deflated is an understatement.. I'm at my wits with the Explorer thing. I am on my way today back to the show to look at the alternatives. I love Ford Performance products. My 16 GT350 is my favorite car of all time. Been excited about a high performance suv daily driver. But, chances are that purchase is gong to be from another manufacturer. Terribly disappointing,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been seriously considering an ST. One consideration for me is the reported interior rework providing additional hip room and generally better space. I want a full size feel like you'd get from an Expedition or Tahoe. In Birmingham, AL they are having a dealers car show. In the promotion they hype having a 2020 Explorer on site. Included is interior photos. Great! This is my opportunity to experience the interior and determine if it's worth waiting for my order. Left work early. Drove over an hour in heavy traffic.
Found the 2020 Explorer. Door is locked. Approached a group of Ford people. Requested they unlock the vehicle and allow me to sit in it. I was told the car is a prototype and cannot be entered. We talked further. But they would not be swayed. Deflated is an understatement.. I'm at my wits with the Explorer thing. I am on my way today back to the show to look at the alternatives. I love Ford Performance products. My 16 GT350 is my favorite car of all time. Been excited about a high performance suv daily driver. But, chances are that purchase is gong to be from another manufacturer. Terribly disappointing,

Was it specifically stated that the vehicle could be entered (when you first heard about it)?

And why at wits end?

It's hard to get the newest things sometimes. Most prototypes don't have all functions / fixed settings. They just wouldn't want you to be judgemental on something that is different in the production model.

No different then the car shows. Cant open the doors... heck they are on spinning stages roped off. I would not have expected any different at a dealer being preproduction units.

Was it specifically stated that the vehicle could be entered (when you first heard about it)?

And why at wits end?

No, promotion did not state it could be entered. The door open interior shots left me with the impression it could be entered. Obviously a mistake.

And why at wits end?

I am at my wits end because I have a worn out daily driver that has become physically hard on me. I have a long difficult commute. Willing to wait if it's worth it. But without experiencing the car can't make the judgement. Worst thing would be to wait until they are on dealer lots and not like it. There are deep discounts available on 2019 options from other manufacturers I know will work.
Waited more than 6 months for the GT350. Certainly worth the wait-but that was never in doubt.

It's hard to get the newest things sometimes. Most prototypes don't have all functions / fixed settings. They just wouldn't want you to be judgemental on something that is different in the production model.

I get that. Apparently my expectation was in error. Won't happen again. I was hoping to be able to make a decision. In the meantime I need a new ride. May consider buying a used vehicle to hold me until I can decide what is best for the long term.

No different then the car shows. Cant open the doors... heck they are on spinning stages roped off. I would not have expected any different at a dealer being preproduction units.

Lesson learned. Guess I need to consider myself lucky to have been able to look in the window.

Lesson learned. Guess I need to consider myself lucky to have been able to look in the window.

Luckier then I will be. I'm going to the NY Auto Show in a few weeks and expect the same as others.. get to look at it from 10 feet away lol.

Curious, was it the Atlas Blue? Did you take any pics?

Luckier then I will be. I'm going to the NY Auto Show in a few weeks and expect the same as others.. get to look at it from 10 feet away lol.

Unfortunately not. It was not an ST. One of the other trims. Not an exterior color I would have any interest in. Interior was a tan. I thought it was very unattractive. Just wanted to get a feel for the interior experience. After the frustration of it being locked I left. If I had handled it better would have gone back and looked more closely and taken pictures. Guess I blew that.

I'm working the alabama show, and on the first day when it was absolutely dead I talked to the ford reps and the dm and after telling them I have one on order they let me sit in it. Loved it, Since it is pre production they dont let people sit in it.

Its a red hybrid with the light beige interior (I forgot the color)
didnt have the 10 inch or the 12 inch DIC screens

............Its a red hybrid with the light beige interior (I forgot the color)
didnt have the 10 inch or the 12 inch DIC screens
That would be Lucid Red with Sandstone interior. As for the screens, neither are available in the Limited/Hybrid.

Peter

3 months ago they had the 2020 Aviator on display here at the dealers auto auto show. It was a locked prototype also but I was able to crawl under it to see it's way different than a 5th gen. I'd personally wait to sit / drive one before I'd order a new model year.

That would be Lucid Red with Sandstone interior. As for the screens, neither are available in the Limited/Hybrid.

Peter
I was a little bummed it wasnt an st, but nonetheless the ford reps were working the columbus show and the oklahoma city show along with me but im with fca. so ive been talking with them and finally got my 2 minutes to scope it out, but still was very nice, and good to know you cant get either in the hybrid.

Im just waiting to see how i can avoid paying more than 500 a month, (what i pay on my 16 sport) once my st is built mext month

Back