Ford Marks Full-scale Production Of 2nd Hybrid; Mercury Mariner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Marks Full-scale Production Of 2nd Hybrid; Mercury Mariner

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
FORD MARKS FULL-SCALE PRODUCTION OF 2ND HYBRID; MERCURY MARINER PULLED AHEAD BY A YEAR
Nancy L. Gioia, Director of Sustainable Mobility Technologies and Hybrid Vehicle Programs.

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Nov. 16 - Ford Motor Company today marks full-scale production of its second hybrid vehicle at the Kansas City Assembly Plant. The new Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV continues the company's commitment to increasing hybrid production ten-fold – to 250,000 units annually – by the end of the decade.

Lean and flexible manufacturing processes and specially trained employees at the plant allow the hybrids to be built on the same production line as conventional Mariner and Ford Escape SUVs. Mariner production was pulled ahead by a year as part of Ford's stepped-up hybrid commitment.

The Mariner joins the Escape Hybrid as two of five hybrids Ford will have on the road in the next three years. Ford today is the only American automaker with a hybrid on the road and was the first in the world to offer a hybrid SUV.

By 2010, Ford plans to increase hybrid production to approximately 250,000 units annually – with more than half of the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup offered with hybrid capability.

"The innovative approach to manufacturing showcased at the Kansas City Assembly Plant is a key component in Ford's hybrid strategy," explains Nancy Gioia, director of Ford's Sustainable Mobility Technologies and Hybrid programs. "Our goal is to build hybrid and conventional models on the same line and to offer hybrids with the same style and same functionality as conventional vehicles.

"We didn't have to invent an entirely new vehicle to house our hybrids. We're putting hybrids into mainstream products that are popular today. The Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner Hybrids were born and built in the USA , and they are the only hybrid SUVs made in America . We are very proud of this accomplishment."

Steve Perry (left), installing fuel filter & brake line; Mike Gholston (right) installing Hybrid Electric Vehicle cable on hybrid at Kansas City Assembly Plant.

The Kansas City plant accommodates installation of unique Mariner Hybrid and Ford Escape Hybrid components at normal line speed. Among the hybrid components are a temperature management unit, electric battery pack, in-dash electrical outlet, regenerative braking system, power cables, electronic power assist steering, DC-to-DC converter, Atkinson-cycle engine and eCVT transmission.

Initial production of the Mariner Hybrid began in October. Full-scale production is now under way, with vehicles beginning to arrive in dealer showrooms.

"Hybrid vehicles are a perfect fit with the Mercury brand," said Tom Brewer, general marketing manager for Lincoln and Mercury. "Our Mercury customers are very attracted to new technology. They also want good value, without being part of the mainstream. The Mariner Hybrid delivers for these customers through its distinctive Mercury styling and powertrain technology that is still on the cutting edge."

Kansas City Plant Manager Ken Ward credits a committed and well-trained workforce with seamlessly delivering the company's second full hybrid.

"Thanks to our talented workforce, Kansas City is home to two of the company's most innovative products," says Ward. "First was the Escape Hybrid, and now comes the Mariner Hybrid. We're proud to be at the forefront of Ford's hybrid leadership commitment."

To assemble the hybrids, employees completed a special training course. It provided in-depth training on how to install and handle hybrid-specific components, such as the electric battery pack, cooling system, regenerative braking system and the instrument cluster.

Ford's Kansas City Assembly Plant opened in 1953. It builds the Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner and Mazda Tribute, Ford F-150 Regular Cab, Super Cab and Super Crew.

Nov. 16, 2005

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mariner joins Escape as two of 5 hybrids?

Whats the difference between a Mariner and an Escape? they count them as two vehicles? IMO = stupid, its an ESCAPE!! they are now just making more hybrid versions if I am reading that correctly?

Yeah man! I agree. It's the same vehicle w/ different tags. Takes a lot of balls to come out and say you now have 2 hybrids on the road. It must've taken a whole lotta work to make that happen (note sarcasm). And to make that giant press release? That's just lame. Now if it were a SuperDuty hybrid...that'd be something to brag about!

I thought that GMC had the sierra hybrid out before the Escape came out as a hybrid? If so then the article is wrong saying that Ford is the first U.S. carmaker with a hybrid. Also, i'm not sure but i thought the Toyota Highlander hybrid was released before the Escape also, if so then Ford is not the first to have an SUV hybrid. This article does not really look that good to the knowladgable (sp?) which in this case happens to be most of us. :rolleyes:

I agree ^. I would say it is "assembled" in the USA however as far as the systems (i.e. brake recharging and hybrid engine arrangement etc, etc) there are over many Toyota patents in that vehicle. Not saying it's a bad design but, you can't really call it the first all american built hybrid SUV with Toyota playing such a pivtol role in its drivetrain design. Just my $0.02.

The Mazda Tribute will join next year I belive ;)

THE TRIBUTE IS THE SAME DARN THING TOO!!

By the way, Ford was the first hybrid SUV, and domestic hybrid. It's been out for over a year now. Those facts are true, but toyota's influence is very responsible for both.

jwrezz said:
THE TRIBUTE IS THE SAME DARN THING TOO!!

By the way, Ford was the first hybrid SUV, and domestic hybrid. It's been out for over a year now. Those facts are true, but toyota's influence is very responsible for both.

I belive actually that Toyota shared the info with Ford, or something like that :rolleyes:

4WD Problem

I have a 91 Explorer XLT and when i put it into 4 wheel it engages but when i drive the spindle feels like it is slipping and not making the front spin. when i do this it makes a clunking noise when i accelerate. I was wondering if it is the hub assembly? let me know what u think.. thanks
:exp:

Really wrong place to post this! But sounds like a reasonable assumption.

Back