Ford mechanics can't figure out why AC keeps blowing fuse. Faulty diode? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford mechanics can't figure out why AC keeps blowing fuse. Faulty diode?

edcosta

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited v8
I have a 03 Explorer limited v8, the cold AC is not working and the fuse #10 (AC clutch contact) under the dash in driver side keeps blowing every time I turn the AC on. If the AC is off it does not blow.

I had the car serviced at a Ford dealer for weeks and they could not figure out why the fuse is blowing.

I am looking at all forums and the whole internet trying to figure it out myself. I came across a post where I learned that testing the alternator by removing the negative cable of the battery with the engine running can be catastrophic. I didn't now that and before the AC stopped working I tested my alternator that way (stupid, I know...), now I am linking this test with the AC issue.

I also learned that a faulty diode can cause the AC to blow fuses, but it is something very rare to happen and because of that most of the mechanics don't check the diode.

This car have a specific diode for the AC clutch. So I am about to go ahead and change it, but apparently only Ford sells that.

I don't have the knowledge and tools to test the diode myself. So I would just go ahead and change it and see if it works, but I would like your opinions before.

Does the this faulty diode theory makes sense?

It does make sense because my 4.0l did the same thing. You can pick up a cheap multi meter that has a diode function to help troubleshoot just so you do not throw a whole lot of random parts at the truck.
In my case I was getting continuity both ways through the circuit and as a result it was dumping power until I cut out the diode.
I know there is a greater risk of damaging a relay without the diode to bleed power and it is on my list of "somedays" but that was 4 years and 20k miles ago!

Back