FORD OEM battery

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Why can't you buy a Ford battery with the eyeball that comes with the vehicle when new? (Other than going to the boneyard?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you want one? Get an Optima yellow top if you're looking for a premium battery.

that little eye does next to nothing, it only looks at one "cell" out of the 6 in the battery, you dont know how many times ive tryed to sell a batt and the cust says "the eye says its good" then i watch it come in on the hook the next week

There are much better batterys available.

I prefer the Optima line.

This thread reminds me of the OEM radio thread...

Just like aftermarket radios vs OEM radios, 99% of the aftermarket batteries are better than the OEM ones.

This thread reminds me of the OEM radio thread...

Just like aftermarket radios vs OEM radios, 99% of the aftermarket batteries are better than the OEM ones.

Not possible... fully 1/3 of the batteries made today come off the same assembly line as the OEM battery.

With that in mind, 66% of the batteries are probably as good if not better than the OEM. However, the OEM batteries generally have the longest warranty. (Motorcrafts used to come with a 1 year free replacement, 84 month pro-rated warranty while their nearest competition only had a 60 month warranty)

-Joe

I do have the original in my 97, and it is always on a trickle charger. My 97 I have kept completly stock, and although I would buy a Ford battery to keep it stock, it wouild be nice just to have the eyeball for that "stock" look.
My 99 is my truck that I keep play with, although it does have a replacement Ford battery w/o the eyeball) I believe the Ford batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

On another note....As far as the optima batteries...Here at work, we have battery banks to keep this facility up before the generator kicks in. They are 1400AH 6V batteries (qty of about 300). They are gel cells. Comparing my facility to other facilities that use lead acid, the lead acids will outperform gels any day of the week by quite a bit. What may be an advantage is with offroad conditions related to vibration.

Back