Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

I have no idea if this is an issue on mine. My ford pass app says I have a notice on it. I don't experience any symptoms but I have a 5 month old. Guess I'll go in and have whatever fix needs to be done, done.
I only noticed it a WOT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the carbon monoxide repair done a few weeks ago and all seems fine. Interesting with the HVAC reprogramming to experience the A/C cutoff at or near WOT.

I've also noticed something peculiar, but it also might just be me being hyper aware of looking for changes... I've noticed that it seems to put our far less of a soot cloud under heavy acceleration. I've always understood that the soot is characteristic of direct injection (or at least our particular 3.5 EB direct injected engine).

Has anyone else noticed less soot after the carbon monoxide repair reprogramming? Kinda makes me wonder if the reprogramming is doing more than just retarding A/C operation at or near WOT.

Just curious, how long does this "repair" take? I still have yet to do this as I haven't noticed any issues with mine but figured I still should do it. My dealer said they need to keep my car the whole day when I inquired about it a couple months ago. Kinda difficult to not have my truck for a whole day which is why I haven't done it yet. Does it really take all day?

That's what I was also advised of a whole day and to which I said "No thanks!"

Mine took 25 minutes, drain plugs replaced, gasket checked, hvac reprogrammed and those vents under bumper replaced.

The max labor allowance listed in the documents is 2 hours.

If NHTSA had a valid reason at this time to force a recall, they would. Rotten egg smell is the same as natural gas smell...indicative of a PTU failure. My guess is there is often confusion between the two issues....bad PTU smell versus carbon monoxide. Just to be clear I am not saying carbon monoxide may or may not be a problem, just that there may be some confusion between the odors associated with each issue.

Is TSB 16-0166 still in effect or did they change the procedure? The service manager told me they "inspected" a couple of spots and everything was fine. That didn't solve the problem, since they didn't actually do anything.

The rotten egg smell is usually produced by the catalytic converter, especially when you force a large amount of exhaust gases through it. That smell is nothing new and has been around since the catalytic converter was introduced back in 1975. I've noticed it infrequently from time to time when the air from the vehicle ahead of mine is pulled into the cabin.

Peter

I was going to buy a 2018 Sport. Wonder if I should wait for the 2019?

I was going to buy a 2018 Sport. Wonder if I should wait for the 2019?
There's no guaranty at this time that the 2019 won't have the same issue. The 2020 model should be out in early 2019 since the 2019 last order date is Sept.10, 2019. BTW, I haven't had the exhaust issue in my previous 2011 or current 2017.

Peter

I’ll play it safe and get a car CM detector. I really want a 18 Sport!!

I called a Ford dealer service department and I was told they are not covering it or something. Is it not happening yet?

Yes, mine said it is only for the police configuration.

Yes, mine said it is only for the police configuration.

That's completely wrong, that dealership needs to be reported.

Call the Ford Corporate line and let them know, and go to another dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've managed a fleet of interceptors since they first came out. I wouldn't worry at all about CO levels in any non- patrol use Explorer.

Here are a few things to keep in mind about the issue. Out of thousands of agencies using hundreds of thousands of PIUs only a handful of officers on a few specific agencies had issues. After extensive investigation primary cause was two fold. Aftermarket upfitters drilling holes without properly sealing them combined with the vehicle sitting stationary and idling for extended periods of time with the windows up.

If neither of those apply to your vehicle you have nothing at all to worry about.

Back