Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

I've managed a fleet of interceptors since they first came out. I wouldn't worry at all about CO levels in any non- patrol use Explorer.

Here are a few things to keep in mind about the issue. Out of thousands of agencies using hundreds of thousands of PIUs only a handful of officers on a few specific agencies had issues. After extensive investigation primary cause was two fold. Aftermarket upfitters drilling holes without properly sealing them combined with the vehicle sitting stationary and idling for extended periods of time with the windows up.

If neither of those apply to your vehicle you have nothing at all to worry about.

Completely incorrect, there have been many members who have had CO issues on civilian models and have a legitimate complaint that has been verified and duplicated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Completely incorrect, there have been many members who have had CO issues on civilian models and have a legitimate complaint that has been verified and duplicated.

I've read all of them. There have certainly been some complaints on this forum. The number that are "legitimate, verified and duplicated" in normal conditions using calibrated meters and exceeding OSHA/NIOSH or EPA standards for exposure? None that I'm aware of.

My point is that the risk of exposure in civilian use is being blown out of proportion by many, especially the click-bait news media.

How minimal is the risk? Lets leave emotion, hyperbole and anecdotal forum posts out of it for just a moment. Ford has produced about 1.5 million of these Explorers since 2011. NHTSA and Ford have received about 2,700 total customer complaints of an "exhaust smell" in the vehicle. (not actual CO issues) That's less than 0.18% of vehicles produced. Despite investigating for nearly 2 years, NHTSA has not reported verifying ANY of those complaints as carbon monoxide poisoning and has not requested any recalls. Ford has also had a team investigating the issue for at least as long and has not found any retail Explorers with CO levels exceeding government standards.

In summary, of the 1,500,000 Explorers build, 1,497,300 have never even had a complaint related to the issue. You have a better chance of drowning in your bathtub,

If I paid 50k I wouldn’t want to deal with an exhaust smell in the cabin for no good reason. If you can smell exhaust, there is excess CO in the car. If it were entirely unfounded Ford would do nothing about it. If there were no real issue people wouldn’t report that the dealer fixed their issue.

If I paid 50k I wouldn’t want to deal with an exhaust smell in the cabin for no good reason. If you can smell exhaust, there is excess CO in the car. If it were entirely unfounded Ford would do nothing about it. If there were no real issue people wouldn’t report that the dealer fixed their issue.

I agree. I never said "unfounded", simply pointing out that the issue is not widespread.

Also, an "exhaust smell" does not mean automatic CO in the vehicle. Many Explorers, like several in my fleet, had what we described to the dealer as an exhaust odor. Multiple trips to the dealer over a years time left the issue unresolved. Out of frustration I sent the '13 I drive to 45 minutes away to a specific mechanic I know at a Ford dealer.

It didn't take him 10 minutes to diagnose the problem. PTU puking on the exhaust pipe. The burning smell was then entering the cabin through the HVAC. It happened at least 5 times on different 13/14/15s and was resolved each time with a new PTU.

Any burnt petroleum product, or any exhaust has CO in it. If you can smell it, it has surely has an amount of CO in it.

Never had any exhaust issues... got it checked though. replaced all necessary parts (probably not needed). The dealer also fixed the door trims at the same time. The sad thing is that I just went over 100,000 miles.

I agree. I never said "unfounded", simply pointing out that the issue is not widespread.

That's not what you said. Your post basically states that this is only an issue on PIU's. If that were the case, Ford would not have released 3 TSB's for Consumer Explorers. Also when you write a statement like this

"If neither of those apply to your vehicle you have nothing at all to worry about."

I take great issue with. For someone to say that you have NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT and now say that it isn't a widespread issue contradicts the 1st statement. It is that statement I just quoted of "nothing at all to worry about" that I take issue with.

Regarding the number of complaints to the NHTSA.. Many have no clue about the NHTSA or know that they have a CO issue since it is odorless and colorless. Many have reported on this forum headaches that they have been getting and was never able to figure it out.

Many people who have become members here had no idea about reporting to the NHTSA and did so based on members here recommending it and linking them directly to it. So those that have reported are not the only people experiencing it.. they are the only ones that knew to report it or learned how to report it. There are many more out there that have visited dealers complaining of an issue and it was left at that level.

Now I am not saying that this is a widespread issue.. I believe it is a small number that experience it but regardless, nobody should experience high levels of CO under heavy acceleration (sitting in traffic would be the only reason I could see CO levels rising). But I would NEVER say that this is "nothing to worry about".

Perhaps others worry about insignificant things more often than I do. I totally agree that there should be no issues like this when you buy an expensive vehicle. There also shouldn’t be issues with the steering racks, PTUs locking up, paint falling off the hood, defective control arms, or brand new 2016s breaking down and having to sit for weeks waiting on backordered throttle bodies. But those are all things I have dealt with.

Not only do I spend 40-50 hours a week behind the wheel of these vehicle (10,533 total engine hours as of today), I'm responsible for buying them for some of my closest friends and colleagues. On top of that I just used my own money to buy one for my family.

Am I conscious of the issue? Yes. Have I taken the manufacturers recommended steps to minimize any risk? Yes.

Am I worried? No. Pick any mass produced vehicle on the road today, any one, and google that model with the words "exhaust smell". Regardless of which car you pick you will find complaints.

Equinox? Yep https://www.equinoxforum.net/31-engine-drivetrain/9707-exhaust-smell-vents-under-hood.html
Chrysler Minivan? Yep I smell exhaust fumes inside my 2005 town and country van - Fixya
Even the Dodge Charger, when first introduced for police, was recalled for a similar issue and the current model has problems with raw fuel smell in the cabin.

The facts remain the facts. 1.5 million Explorers produced. Over 100,000 of those are police units being used in the most abusive environment a vehicle can be subject to. 2,700 total complaints reported. Even of every one of those were complaints were verified that would be a defect rate of about 0.18%.

If anyone wants to worry about something that has a greater than 99.82% chance of never happening to them, I suppose there's nothing I can say that will change their mind.

Perhaps others worry about insignificant things more often than I do. I totally agree that there should be no issues like this when you buy an expensive vehicle...........
There shouldn't be an issue like this with any vehicle, regardless of price.

Peter

There shouldn't be an issue like this with any vehicle, regardless of price.

Peter
I agree, remember the Yugo? :eek:

On a side note, we recently bought a 2018 Charger pursuit. It came off the truck from the factory on a Friday. It rained Saturday and Sunday. By monday morning the floors inside were submerged with 3 miles on the odometer.

Mine is scheduled for the repair on Friday. We shall see how this goes.

I don't think it should be 200 in a home.
Screenshot_20180909-173523_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dealer did the recall last week and there is less of the smell when accelerating hard. So that is good thing. I really need to get a CO meter and check the levels.

Dealership decided to do mine, as it's already in for repair.
Never had the smell, but it was recommended.

Dealership decided to do mine, as it's already in for repair.
Never had the smell, but it was recommended.

I don't have any smell or any signs of CO issues(that I'm aware of).
The only reason I'm planning to bring mine in is just to say that it's been completed.
I'm actually more concerned that something will get messed up(like bumper alignment, paint scuffing...etc).

I don't have any smell or any signs of CO issues(that I'm aware of).
The only reason I'm planning to bring mine in is just to say that it's been completed.
I'm actually more concerned that something will get messed up(like bumper alignment, paint scuffing...etc).

I was also weary at first, but considering my EX is practically going through an overhaul with all of the issues I am having, I didn't care anymore.

2018 XLT with 9k miles going in for exhaust smell on Wednesday. Ford is sending an engineer to the dealership for inspections with equipment. I'll report back with findings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford didn't even tell me the plugs in the tailgate were getting changed. I use to have to keep putting the old black plugs back in after I washed and dried the car, they never really fit in properly. I just went out to check this issue after reading these post's and noticed that they have been changed to a more heavy duty rubber plug. Very tight fitting.
I have a 2017 Explorer XLT. Aslo have a water pump issue. Dealer is replacing it. Only has 47000kms on it. Repair scheduled for Monday.

Back