Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

I went for the Recall work last year and what they did was to glue with black silicone some new plugs - cheap looking and flat. So basically now the 3 holes on the 5th door are totally blocked/glued.
+ supposedly they did reprogramming of the AC. Nothing else was done on the car.

Not sure if the glue part is what Ford recommends as work, but it looks like a cheap/dirty fix

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went for the Recall work last year and what they did was to glue with black silicone some new plugs - cheap looking and flat. So basically now the 3 holes on the 5th door are totally blocked/glued.
+ supposedly they did reprogramming of the AC. Nothing else was done on the car.

Not sure if the glue part is what Ford recommends as work, but it looks like a cheap/dirty fix

Pull it off and use your own epoxy or sealant?
In regards to re-programming the AC, you can test it out by turning the AC on, turn off recirc and see if it turns on automatically when you go WOT.

Its sealed pretty good:) Was thinking that those holes are probably for drainage of some sort, but where I am it does not rain much.

Thank you for the A/C check method, did not know that. I can try it out later.

update: Checked with AC under WOT, no change in recirc enablement. No surprise I guess.

Its sealed pretty good:) Was thinking that those holes are probably for drainage of some sort, but where I am it does not rain much.

Thank you for the A/C check method, did not know that. I can try it out later.

update: Checked with AC under WOT, no change in recirc enablement. No surprise I guess.

Unless I misunderstood, that's supposedly what the AC program was supposed to do.

I thought the reprogram was to turn off recirc under WOT?

recirc or no recirc, no changes under wot. The ac mode (air direction) stays as it is selected.So I guess they did no work at all on mine :)

recirc or no recirc, no changes under wot. The ac mode (air direction) stays as it is selected.So I guess they did no work at all on mine :)

I don't think that the mode change (at WOT) will show on the dash, light will remain on. If the fan was on a higher speed you might notice the change in sound or smell from outside or change in cooling effect.

2018 XLT with 9k miles going in for exhaust smell on Wednesday. Ford is sending an engineer to the dealership for inspections with equipment. I'll report back with findings.
Update on my 18', Here's the reply letter back from Ford's Legal Office.

Untitled.png

Hey guys, new to the forum. I came to discuss what was done to my 2016 explorer. I bought it used about a month ago with 22K miles fully loaded XLT for $23,500. Clean Carfax so it was an excellent deal.

Unfortunately the smell was noticeable right away. I brought it in to my local Ford and they kept the car for a whole week. What they ended up doing was installing a new exhaust assembly including redesigned exhaust tips that push the exhaust downward yet look like the typical chrome tips. It’s pretty neat but unfortunately the smell of exhaust is still unbearable and present.

I’m not sure what to think. Maybe it was too good of a deal to be a true. I am driving my 06 explorer more than my 16.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
They did not do what all they were supposed to. The work involves sealing or adding seals certain parts as well as reprograming the HVAC See the following starting on page 4. http://www.mhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/TSB-17-0044-Exhaust-Odor-in-Vehicle.pdf

Peter

Hi Peter,

I believe the previous owner had gotten this performed which is why they went with step-2 of to attempt to resolve the issue which was to replace the exhaust, tips and reprogram the rear door to close “harder/tighter”. Still the car stinks inside :(

Howdy

A while back I came across this thread and skimmed through it. Like 10 minutes ago I took the time to read the whole way through. Thanks to everyone for all the info as well as the discussions and debates.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask you guys what exactly the “process” is for having this done? From what I’ve read I understand it’s a complimentary/voluntary fix. I’ve also read that you can look up a vehicle’s VIN and check online. So am I supposed to show up at the service department and just say “hey I want this done” or what? I’ve downloaded the official letter from ford just incase they decline but is there anything else to this? Thanks again
Steve

Welcome to the Forum Steve.:wave:
I don't have the issue so I've never taken mine in but I'm guessing that you call your dealer and schedule an appointment and advise them what you want to be done.

Peter

This is damn depressing. Just got back from a holiday road trip. This is my wife's business car (2016) and she has never mentioned it. However, I have smelled exhaust coming through the vents on a number of trips when I had the windows up and the heat/air on. My daughter has complained of nausea for quite a while now, but up until this trip, we have not all been in the car for an extended trip together. Well, today we all experienced this problem together. There was a strong flow of exhaust smell coming through the front vents.

I'm going to read up on the TSB and will let the board know of the results of my visit to the dealership. The car is going in for another issue, so I'll have this done at the same time.

One question. In reading this thread, there seems to be some confusion. Is this an official recall, or is it done on a customer complaint only basis? We've never received a recall notice, so I am assuming there was a TSB issued and the dealer will fix it for a customer who complains of the problem. Is that accurate?

As Peter said, it's not a recall.

I had my Ex in for the door panel issue and asked them to do the exhaust service as well just for resale purposes. I've never had any smell or signs of exhaust in the passenger compartment, but I'm sure when the time comes to sell or trade in, that will be checked. I even mentioned to the dealer that I didn't have any signs, but wanted it done anyway for that reason.

As Peter said, it's not a recall.

I had my Ex in for the door panel issue and asked them to do the exhaust service as well just for resale purposes. I've never had any smell or signs of exhaust in the passenger compartment, but I'm sure when the time comes to sell or trade in, that will be checked. I even mentioned to the dealer that I didn't have any signs, but wanted it done anyway for that reason.

The rear hatch seal and HVAC programming is part of the 17N03 recall.

It’s a voluntary “customer service”. Again, it’s NOT a recall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wait. So is it a recall or not? I can't imagine a dealer would not do the work if it is requested by the customer if there is a TSB, however if it is not an official recall (bring every car in made between two dates), the dealer will not be servicing every explorer that comes in without being asked by the customer.

I'm going to request this to be done and I'll let the board know the outcome.

Back