Ford Passed Up Chance to Boost Explorer's Stability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Passed Up Chance to Boost Explorer's Stability

Dolphan

Reaction score
City, State
La Mirada, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
Dead Link Removed

Ford Passed Up Chance to Boost Explorer's Stability
Autos: Firm says redesign, which raised SUV's center of gravity, is inconsequential to the risk of it rolling over.

By MYRON LEVIN, Times Staff Writer

Ford Motor Co., whose Explorer sport-utility vehicles have suffered a rash of rollover crashes linked to tire failures, spurned a chance to significantly improve the stability of the vehicles during a major redesign in the mid-1990s, internal company documents show.
With the new suspension system Ford installed in 1995 and later model Explorers, the auto maker could have lowered the center of gravity of the top-heavy vehicles by lowering the engine height, according to memos by Ford engineers. But the company decided to retain the original engine position, at least partly to hold down redesign costs and preserve profit margins of nearly 40% on the popular Explorer, the documents show.
When the Explorer was introduced in 1990, Ford was concerned enough about its stability that it advised owners to maintain a relatively low tire pressure of 26 pounds per square inch, because softer tires help an out-of-control vehicle to slide rather than tip over. Yet the redesign in the '95 model year made the Explorer's center of gravity slightly higher and the stability index--a rough measure of rollover propensity--slightly worse, acknowledged Ford spokesman Jon Harmon.
Harmon said the difference is inconsequential and that federal accident statistics show the Explorer has had a lower rate of deaths from rollovers and other crashes than other SUVs of comparable size. "That safety record is no accident," Harmon said. "Explorer is an extremely well-engineered vehicle."
But Tab Turner, a Little Rock, Ark., attorney who has filed numerous rollover lawsuits against Ford, said the company should have improved the Explorer's stability in the redesign, but instead, "I think they made it worse."
SUVs have a safety record similar to those of passenger cars when all types of crashes are considered. But their risk of rollover is considerably higher, because their high stance and narrow track width make them prone to flip over in severe steering maneuvers or when they "trip" on curbing or other obstacles.
From 1991 to 1999, 1,142 people died in rollover crashes of Explorers, according to data gleaned from the federal Fatality Analysis Reporting System by Randy Whitfield, a Maryland-based safety consultant. The data suggest that only a small percentage of the rollovers were triggered by tire failure.
But the rollover propensity of Explorers and other SUVs has come into focus mainly because of the massive recall of Firestone tires that were original equipment on Explorers and some other light trucks.
Federal safety regulators have received hundreds of reports of the tread peeling off three models of 15-inch Firestones, often when vehicles were traveling at highway speeds. More than 100 deaths in the U.S. and nearly 50 more in Venezuela have been linked to the tread separations, many involving rollover crashes of Explorers.
Although Ford has been adamant that the Firestone tires are solely to blame, auto safety experts say the instability of the vehicles, coupled with bad tires, have made a deadly combination because SUVs are harder to bring under control than passenger cars when their tires fail.
Reports, memos and other documents concerning the design of the Explorer have been produced by Ford in response to discovery demands in dozens of lawsuits stemming from rollover crashes, some involving tire failures.
Documents previously disclosed by The Times show that as the 1990 launch of the Explorer approached, Ford engineers were concerned that the vehicle be at least as stable as the Bronco II compact SUV that the Explorer would replace. Ford has settled hundreds of lawsuits stemming from Bronco II rollovers, and an internal memo described those vehicles as being in the "middle to poor" range in rollover risk.
But documents from the late 1980s show that an Explorer prototype had fared worse than Bronco IIs in a set of extreme steering maneuvers. The prototype also had a lower stability index, calculated by taking half of the vehicle track width and dividing by the height of its center of gravity.
As a result, documents show, Ford made two changes--lowering the Explorer by half an inch and stiffening the front springs--to improve stability over the Bronco II.
An undated memo said some features of the Explorer--particularly its twin I-beam suspension--resulted in a high engine position and prevented "further significant improvement" in stability.
When Explorer production began in early 1990, Ford was already at work on a redesigned version for the '95 model year. Among the biggest changes: scrapping the twin I-beam in favor of a short-long-arm front suspension, or SLA.
The switch was intended to accommodate two other key changes: use of rack-and-pinion steering and dual air bags, Ford officials say. But the new suspension also made it possible to lower the center of gravity by lowering the position of the engine, a memo said.
But that memo, dated March 26, 1990, said Ford had decided not to exploit the opportunity.
The decision "to retain the . . . engine position minimizes the effect on other vehicle systems . . . but does not take advantage of the fact that the engine could be lowered with a SLA-type suspension," the memo said.
"This decision was driven by early implementation and program cost."
Ford officials refused to discuss the expense of changing the engine position, or whether there were other reasons not to do it. Harmon said he believed the engine height actually did go "down by millimeters," but would not elaborate.
However, other documents discussed the high cost of the redesign and the need to protect the Explorer's impressive profit margin.
According to a 1991 memo, the Explorer was contributing a profit that year of $559 million. Profit margin on the vehicles was 38.8%, the document said.
In a deposition last spring, Ford executive Mehendra "Max" Kapadia, who had been launch manager for the redesigned Explorer, said he believed the 38.8% profit did not factor in all of the Explorer's costs, and that the "pure margins are much, much lower." But he did not elaborate, and Harmon refused to answer questions on the subject.
The 1991 memo estimated the increased costs of the '95 redesign at $1,267 per vehicle, despite cost-reduction programs.
According to another document, one of the economies involved using thinner metal panels to construct the Explorer's roof.
Safety advocates say a major cause of deaths and paralyzing injuries in rollover crashes is the roof collapsing onto occupants.
However, the Ford memo did not make clear whether the plan to thin the roof of the '95 Explorer would weaken it. The document signaled an intent to reduce the "gage," or thickness, of the roof panels.
Harmon refused to discuss whether the strength of the roof had been lowered.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recently published stability indexes for a wide range of vehicles. According to the list, the original four-door model of the Explorer had a stability index of 1.08, and the index for '95 and later models dropped to 1.06. Since the width of the vehicle had not changed, the decline meant the center of gravity rose slightly, Ford acknowledged.
But this is "a razor's distinction," Harmon said. Ford and other auto makers also maintain that the index is misleading because it does not take account of design features that could increase or decrease rollover risk.
"You can't make any kind of correlation between a change that small [between the original and '95 Explorers] and any real-world performance," he said.
While lowering a vehicle's center of gravity is one way to increase stability, so is widening its track. Internal memos in 1987 and 1989 show that Ford engineers had suggested widening the stance of the Explorer, but the step was not taken.
More than a decade later, however, the company is heeding that advice. Ford has announced that the 2002 Explorer, due out early next year, will be 2.5 inches wider than the current model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still think the Explorers are pretty darn stable, does anyone agree? i've been amazed what my truck can do that I never thought a truck could do on the road.

I still don't buy the "maintain a relatively low tire pressure of 26 pounds per square inch, because softer tires help an out-of-control vehicle to slide rather than tip over"

It seems to me that a tire with more pressure would slide easier than one with low pressure.

I also think Explorers are pretty stable, too. But, then I don't drive it like a sports car.......

"From 1991 to 1999, 1,142 people died in rollover crashes of Explorers"

I don't know about anyone else but I think these are pretty good odds considering the number of these on the road today. I wonder where the Chevy Blazer stands, the Jeep Cherokee, the Chrysler Mini Van's, Heck I wonder where all vehicles stack up to this. Specially for a 8-9 year run like that. I would be very curious to see what the odds are in other vehicles.

I wish they would stop pointing fingers just at the Explorer. Chevy's little Jimmy has a much narrower wheel track than the Explorer and it just looks like it will tip easier. I also believe the front suspension is very similar to the 95+ Explorer's. Chevy must have the engine on the ground making it much more stable so it's not a problem; or Chevy is instigating the flaming of the Explorer. Anyway I do see a lot of imports that look very unstable going straight down the road, so I am not just picking on Chevy. There going to continue until the insurance companys get scared and drastcally raise Explorer owners rates to compensate. OK, enough ranting from me.

Originally posted by rpenner54
"From 1991 to 1999, 1,142 people died in rollover crashes of Explorers"

I don't know about anyone else but I think these are pretty good odds considering the number of these on the road today. I wonder where the Chevy Blazer stands, the Jeep Cherokee, the Chrysler Mini Van's, Heck I wonder where all vehicles stack up to this. Specially for a 8-9 year run like that. I would be very curious to see what the odds are in other vehicles.

All statistics that you will ever find will be biased and will never include real data. For example, and these are just my guesses, but I'd say that 500 of those 1,142 weren't wearing seatbelts. Probably 200 had a blood alcohol content over .03% (three times the legal limit as I recall). I would guess at least 600 of those were going well over the legal posted limit, and at least 50 of those probably died as a result of something such as a heart attack occured during the accident. 400 of them were probably terrible drivers, 200 of them didn't know how to drive in icy conditions, and 100 of them rolled when the vehicle was hit by a cemi or other much larger vehicle. I'd be willing to bet at least 50 of the 1,142 were driving illegally, with no license or suspended licenses. I'd also be willing to bet that about 150 of those had no clue about air pressure and had their tires set at about 10 psi because it felt more comfortable.

Just like when they say that 10 kids are lost in Colorado every day to gun violence, what they don't say is that 6 of those kids kill themselves, three of them shoot themselves or a friend accidentally while playing with a gun they shouldn't be, and one legitametly dies in a violent incident, and thats usually a gang member under the age of 18.

[Edited by mattadams on 10-19-2000 at 08:32 AM]

road safety of SUVs

Ive owned several SUVs, including a Jeep CJ5 w/V8... which was phenominal off road, but what a POS on road - noisy, bad mpg, an unsafe driving position/feeling, even with full roll cage. I bet if they did a death toll count of Jeeps, it would be higher percentage wise. (since Explorer outsold every other SUV, while 1100 deaths is not small, by percentage it is probably low) As for Blazers, more people are probably killed not in them, but rather beside them, while waiting for their tow truck. Ok, Ive said enough.

[Edited by KTMpat on 10-19-2000 at 08:43 AM]

Matt I figured something like that but I didn't want to upset anyone by saying that more then likely the majority of these were human error of some sort or another.

Just like any other use of data, you can manipulate it to your advantage in many cases. Just look at how politics can manuver statistics to there advantage. Just like Matt said, there are probably underlying circumstances in a lot of those cases, but the person putting the data together wanted to focus on one point. Notice the 'death' figures from the '15" ' tires once againg thrown in for good reading. There are many truth's, you just have to pick which one you believe.

In the Real World

First we must admit that an Explorer is easier to roll than a sedan.
However, lowering tire pressure to prevent rollovers is crazy. I farm for a living and deal with all kinds and sizes of tires. While I do not posess enough engineering education to know the effective difference between 26# and 30# I do know less pressure means more roll. Just because a tire has a weight rating at a specified pressure, usually 32#, this is rarely the reccomended psi for a vehicle. Tires can support more weight with more pressure, to a point. Normally less pressure will cause a greater rolling resistance, meaning straight line not rollover, and generate more heat.
ANY vehicle could be modified to lessen the chance of rollover. Usually this means, lowering, widening, etc. Does this make them safer? Does this improve function? No, Thank you very much.

Stability, Statistics, etc.

Matt, and all.

First, Matt, let me tell you that 92.35% of all statistics are made up! ;-) I agree with your observations about statistics.

I also agree with Scott's observations about driving styles being a major contributing factor to the Explorer's rollover record. I commented in another thread a few days ago about how Explorers seem to attract a high percentage of Clueless Driver's ( readers of this website, by definition, are excluded) Many of us have done things that has adversely altered the stability of our vehicles, but we drive accordingly .

As for lowering the Engine: I can't think of a more stupid idea, from an O.R. trail clearance standpoint. There'd be oil slicks and broken pans all over the back country! Good for Ford for not doing this! Unfortunately, Ford IS widening the 2002 by 2 1/2" . Bummer! The Explorer is already the WIDEST vehicle that can go through several places where I frequently wheel. No way will a 2 1/2" wider vehicle go through. When it comes time to replace mine I may have to get a....shudder..... Heep!

[Edited by Ray Hutchinson on 10-19-2000 at 10:04 PM]

I know all of you are on the same page, but here's my whole take on it.

Like Ray Hutchinson said, I think the Explorer does attract a lot of "Clueless Drivers". The Explorer has been the #1 selling SUV in the USA, and a lot of the people that bought them have never driven an SUV before, and don't know anything about cars&trucks, like proper tire pressure on a P-class SUV tire.

Of course, no one here is in this clueless category. I see so many people who use their Exp for nothing but grocery-store runs, or run around on the freeway/interstate zipping between lanes at 85 mph like they're in a Porsche. It's scary. And imagine doing that on a 90 degree day, on Firestones, at 26 psi, and a driver who is unfamiliar with their vehicle...

I wish I could explain to all of those people, the Explorer is a truck, it's not a sedan, and it's not designed to go over 80 mph on the interstate. But, the "clueless" think they're driving a car, and drive too fast for the conditions, and make sharp turns that are only appropriate for a car.

If it's driven the way it was designed to be driven, the Explorer is safe.

Dang I use my Explorer to go the Grocery all the time. :D I have also been at speeds as high as 98mph I belive. That was coming back from Moab with a broken Passenger drop bracket! LOL Yeah yeah I know its unsafe but I sure feel like I know how to control this thing pretty well. Accually I think I have had it up on two wheels on the street before. It was kinda scary. :)

what a mess

As spoiled as this may sound.. I learned to drive in trucks and suvs. When I first started driving, my parents had a towncar, an '81 bonnevile, and an '86 chevy truck on 33s. As I was uncomfortable at the reliability of the bonneville, and annoyed by the squishy comfort of the towncar, I learned to drive in the truck. As far as not knowing how to drive my vehicle, I guess I could always learn more about it, but I do drive mine rather aggresivley on the road, but the leaning I get out of my vehicle isn't nearly as bad as what I get out of the towncar and bonneville.

I trust my vehicle, perhaps not as much as I have in the past, all this new stuff (well, bringing to the attention of others) about suvs tipping over has gotten me alittle doubtful in my saftey, but looking at other SUVS, no way, the explorer/mountaineer is truley superior in its class.

Lets put things in a little bit of perspective. Approximately 1100 people have died from "top heavy" explorers' roll overs since they have been introduced over ten years ago. Alright. Approximately 100 people die each year from choking on ball point pens (not counting pencils, crayons, markers etc.) Times ten years is over 1,000 people, dead from choking on pens. just a little fact to ponder.

bgracen are u serious that 100 people choke on ball point pens a year?! Wow that is amazing. Is that 100 people in the whole world die a year? Man this is crazy. Statisics make no sense.

-Chav

Statistics

Best statistic I ever heard:

50% of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class

Remember that the next time your at the doctor

LOL :)

there are 3 types...

There are 3 types of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
Mark Twain

Back