• Register Today It's free!

Ford prices

Adam R

Reaction score
City, State
LI/NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
These are the prices FORD just quoted me...

Change differential fluids/synth front/rear - $525.00
Transfer case - $ 99.95
Emission cleaning - $ 129.95
Injector service -$ 108.95
Change air/fuel/PVC - $ 138.00
----------
$1001.85

Are they kidding me or what? I brought it in for a anti-freeze leak which turned out to be loose clamps that they want to charge me $40 for...

Adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is crazy.... do it all yourself for like 300

Why on Earth did they say you needed all of that work? It looks like they are trying to take advantage of the ignorant people. I'm not implying that you are:) I'm talking about the people that take their vehicle in for what should be a simple fix and leave several hundred dollars poorer. Let's see on your list:

1) Change differential fluids - In your Ford manual it say's that the differentials are filled for life. The only time you are required to replace the fluid is if they get submerged in water, frequen towing or if they are appart for some other repair. Besides it should only take a couple of hours to do both. Add a few quarts of fluid and the price still comes out way less than $525.

2) Transfer case - Due every 30K in the severe duty section. Did it myself in about 20 minutes. Total cost was 2 quarts of Mercon ATF.

3) Emission cleaning - Probably their throttle body service. If you haven't failed an emission test and aren't having any problems that would indicate that your throttle body is full of carbon, it is just wasted service.

4) Injector service - Again isn't listed as routine maintenance. Most if not all gasolines shouldn't foul up you injectors. Even the two guys that come on TV on Saturday mornings recommend that you avoid this service unless you are certain that you have a clogged injector.

5) Change air/fuel/PCV - An air filter costs like what $8?, my 97's last fuel filter cost me $10 at Checker Auto Parts. I replaced it in less than 30 minutes and it was the first time I attempted to do it. Even taking it to a garage and paying someone should be less than $50 P&L. PCV, tell your dealer that you would like them to replace it for free since it is in your warranty booklet that Ford will replace it at no charge at 60K miles. I did, and the Service Advisor said that I was the first person that pointed that out to him.

I agree with everything you stated! They said I needed this for my 60,000 checkup. I have the basecare warranty, is the PVC in that? I hadn't checked.

Tks for the info!,

Adam

I agree with all of Roberts points except number 3- if the emmissions servive is the Throttle Body and or MAS cleaning I would do it when the Air filter is changed.

Originally posted by Adam R
I agree with everything you stated! They said I needed this for my 60,000 checkup. I have the basecare warranty, is the PVC in that? I hadn't checked.

Tks for the info!,

Adam

Actually it is a PCV (Positive Crancase Ventilation) valve, not PVC (white plastic sprinker pipe). No, the PCV valve replacement is in the standard maintenance booklet that came with my Explorer. It is on page 3 of my booklet. It states:

"NO COST PCV VALVE REPLACEMENT
The PCV valve is a critical emission component. Your dealer will replace the valve at no cost at 96,000 kilometers (60,000 miles), except in Canada and California."

that's crazy! the dealership is robbing people.
it's a shame, especially sine most people trust their dealers with maintenance. my mom is one of those people. she always pays way to much to have her 2000 XLT worked on. even when they did the firestone recall, they were telling her the spare wasnt under recall since it isn't mounted on the vehicle (she finally did get a new spare).

What a bunch of a-holes!

Back