Ford Racing 4.6 3V intake manifold on Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Racing 4.6 3V intake manifold on Sport Trac

RSEOD

Reaction score
City, State
Albrightsville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Sport Trac 4.6
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-racing-intake-manifold.html

This Ford Racing intake manifold for the Mustang GT claims to deliver 25-35 more HP (with a tune) than a stock Mustang intake manifold. The Mustang GT 4.6 3V stock is rated about 10HP more than the 4.6 3V in the 2nd Gen Sport Trac (probably due to the Sport Tracs smaller single barrel throttle body and less aggressive stock tune).

I assume it would bolt up to the sport trac 4.6 3V, perhaps some hood modification would be necessary though.

Worth $900 for maybe 20-25 more potential HP?

Also, fitment issues (hood clearance, etc...)?

What do you all think?

Dont say super charger or stoker kit, cams, etc... Try to stay on subject, lol.

I'm thinking about ordering this stuff (Intake manifold, throttle body, MAF) so I'm looking to see if any of you have done it, or considered it and decided against it due to (insert reason here).

With 4.10 gears, CAI, Exhaust, and my 93 performance tune, I'm pretty happy with how zippy my 5000lb truck is, I just need to squeeze out a little bit more and I'll be satisfied for another week or so:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I myself do not reccomend it unless you plan to do more in gearing. That intake has the runner length for upper end power 4,500 rpm and up. You will loose quite a bit of bottom end torque. I guarantee it. The Mustang intake manifold has slightly shorter and larger cross sectioned runners than our stock intake manifold. It will lose some low end also, but, no where near as much. The Mustang intake manifold can be installed with some work to the air inlet tube and associated throttlebody hardware. You will need a tune because of the larger area of the thorttle plates or it will surge and act funny when driving it. I had good luck with modifying my IMRC plates for a bit more flow while still closed. It helped get rid of that lazy spot between about 1,700 rpm and just before the plates open. And, as you requested not to do, I reccomend some cams and a set of tubular manifolds. There aren't any manifolds as of yet, but I am working on some and hope to have them on for testing this summer. The manifolds will do more to help than a cat back because the exhaust is choked up at the head before the cats. The cams I have are Comp stage 1 NSRs ground on a 111' lobe sep +8. You may have to back off some of your timing in the tune. They like ign. timing but build alot of cylinder pressure in the lower to mid range and could ping on a 93 tune map. You'll be glad you had them installed... The mid range and upper pull is fantastic even with the crap for gas we have in California

Awesome write up! Thanks! That sounds a little bit more than I really want to do. I like mods, but I like the reliability of stock, so I really don't plan on swapping cams or going much further than some simple bolt ons...

I thought it might be an easy upgrade, but top end speed isnt where the Sport Trac is lacking, I'm always looking for more "put me in my seat" power. I certainly dont want to losr low end torque.

Now the tubular manifolds are another matter, they'll sell fast! You'll be the only other game in town, and my exhaust manifold just started leaking... When do you think you'll have them ready for the market?

The cams won't hurt your reliability at all. The faster valve action does make a bit more noise though. You can actually hear the valves seating.. Nothing obtrusive at all. When I had the cams ground, I did it specifically for more low to mid range power. You would be surprised I'm sure!! As for the manifolds,I recently had to go on unemployment. That has put a big damper on finishing and installing my manifolds for testing. I hope to have them on within the next month or so. Then I will check air to fuel ratio and such. I expect to see a 10-15 hp and 15-20 lb/ft increase. I hope to get more bottom to mid range torque than anything. An increase in mileage should ensue too. 2-3 miles per gallon increase on the highway would be great. We will see!!!

Ok, you've got my interest. So if I was to start looking at Cams, where would I start? Would I need new lifters as well? What would the performance increase be?

Thanks,

Rick

The lash adjusters do not have to be replaced, unless bad to start with. The cams I used were Comp NSR cams custom ground for me. I had a buddy at a speed shop order them. They generally don't cost any more than standard grinds. You may have to wait a bit longer though. I had mine in less than two weeks. They are the "stage 1" cams ground on a 111' lob sep. +10 degrees. Everything else is completely stock... I also use 30 weight oil in the engine not the recommended 20 weight. It gives a bit more protection when being worked. And it won't a thing either. I'm telling ya, the mid range pull is pretty phenomenal considering nothing else was changed other than the cams at the time. I already had the K/N filtercharger and a single 3" exhaust. The cats are also opened up at the outlet side to 2 1/2" tubing. This reduced the heat through the floor a lot. Probably helping save my stock manifolds for now. I live in California, have crap gas, stop and go traffic stock 3.55 gears and knock down 14 mpg average in town and 20 plus out on the highway.

Im really interested to know if anyone has done this swap.

Back