ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
I was talking to a guy earlier who said he had a brand new Ford Racing Limited Slip for a 8.8 rear that he's trying to get rid of. He has had it for awhile, just never installed it. Supposidly its for a 31 spline (which is mine I am guessing??) and 4.56 gears! I am regearing my rear end and I was wondering if the Ford Racing Limited Slip will work with my 31 spline axles and 4.56 gears? If anyone is running this limited slip - please tell me how its working for you. I want to be in my differential for the last time (been in there 2 times in last 6 months). Also, should I go over to synthetic gear lube or stay with the regular gear lube? Thanks everyone.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never had any experience with FMS limited slips but if they're anything like stock ones theyre not all that great. As far as gears you can put any ratio gear you want on it available for the 8.8, there arent any carrier breaks.

I'm sure Ford Racing parts are a little better than stock stuff. Probably why they are so much more expensive then stock parts. If I get it, I guess I will have to see how it works out.

-Drew

if it's a torsen limited slip like whats in the FX4s that would be a good option they're alot better than the stock l\s.

Once I get it - I will look up all the info. The guy is giving it to me for cheap - I will look it up online though.

-Drew

ps - It should be better than stock, shoulnd't it?

He said it was a Ford Racing L/S I will get back on the accual part number or anything.

-Drew

What years are the FX4 equipeped with a torsen rear end? Is it an 8.8?

I have the limited slip now in my hand. It's the trac-lock system. It is a brand new Ford Racing Limited Slip for a 8.8" 31 spline. It has these numbers on the carrier: 1L2W-4205-AA 0F25 WF8

Anybody have an idea? I have tried to look it up online, but no feedback. Any help would be nice. I ordered my new Richmond Gear 4.56:1 gear ratio R&P tonight, along with a Richmond Install kit. Thanks

-Drew

I looked on fords website and only found the 4204 version. You might need to go to the dealership and ask. Maybe a discontinued model or something. I am very interested in those tosen differencials. Can anybody tell me just how they work? are they like a locker? Do they slip at all on the side with less traction or do they keep the power to the sticky side? Another thing, I switched from a 3.55 open to the 3.73LS a while ago. It made a world of difference off road.

I believe that is all their '04-'05 stuff. I think this is an older model. I know it's new cause all the clutches look good and you don't smell gear oil all over it.

-Drew

ps - Ordered my 4.56:1 Ring and Pinion last night and the complete install kit with a solid spacer for the crush sleeve with shims. It was expensive, but worth it - atleast I get free install. Everything is Richmond Gear and will hopefully be installed in mid-Jan.

What does the solid spacer do?

A crush sleeve is what comes in the install kit. It is only good once. If you mess up - it's done for. This spacer allows you to adjust with shims if you don't set everything up right.

-Drew

Back