ford racing supercharger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ford racing supercharger

I'm getting really interested in supercharging my '97 5.0. Ive seen 3 different systems that fit but have only found information on here about the powerdyne version, and the one that explorer express sells. Has anyone installed the ford racing version? I can find that for about $2600.00 online, that undercuts the other two by quite a bit, especially the eaton one. The other thing im wondering is i've got about 145,000 miles on my motor...I expect I would need a rebuild to feel safe with a supercharger. I apologize if there are already links discussing this. The model number for the one I have found is M-6066-E51. I have a late model 97, they list one for a '97 and a different model number for a '98...i figure the '98 version is for me. Also I am in dire need of headers. I have true duals, the back 2 cats are high flow and that leads to my 2 40 series flowmasters. I know this is the next logical step, but i'm wondering if there is such a drastic power change between the torque monster headers and the ford racing ones to constitute roughly twice the price. Any imformation is appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96-97.5 GT-40 5.0L does not have the P heads

97.5+ - 01 has P heads.
You likely need to check your engine for a P stamped on the front of the Pass side head so you can be sure to order the correct unit.

The Ford Racing kit is a takeoff of Powerdyne BTW. When I ordered my kit I got quoted through proficientperformance.com and then took that info to superchargersonline.com and got the discounted price match plus better service.

410fortune- I definately have the p heads, ive already replaced the passenger side exhaust manifold and had to wrestle with that nightmare of an egr hose. As far as I understand only the gt40p engines have the egr outside of the intake. That plus I know mine is a late model '97. Rocket- So youre saying the FR and the pwerdyne are essentially the same unit? If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for your powerdyne?

nightryder said:
410fortune- I definately have the p heads, ive already replaced the passenger side exhaust manifold and had to wrestle with that nightmare of an egr hose. As far as I understand only the gt40p engines have the egr outside of the intake. That plus I know mine is a late model '97. Rocket- So youre saying the FR and the pwerdyne are essentially the same unit? If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for your powerdyne?

Well way back in the day I payed $3,585 for the Powerdyne XB-1A kit for my old 2000 5.0 Explorer. If I had got a BD-11 kit which is the normal one, I would have spent about $500 less.

Powerdyne unit seems to be more of a buy. If I remember correctly it comes with the fuel pump and chip.

IAmTodd said:
Powerdyne unit seems to be more of a buy. If I remember correctly it comes with the fuel pump and chip.

Of course if any of you buy the supercharger without the fuel pump I can hook you up with a Walbro GSS342 255 lph in-tank fuel pump and also a 200 lph in-line pump too. I also have the FMU still brand spanking new from the Explorer Powerdyne kit. Actually all of those parts I just mentioned are brand new.

That ford racing one is still cheapest...i dont think the powerdyne kit comes with a fuel pump...and concerning a chip, I have the superchips micro tuner perfomance setting installed now, I dont really know the limitations of that setup.

nightryder said:
That ford racing one is still cheapest...i dont think the powerdyne kit comes with a fuel pump...and concerning a chip, I have the superchips micro tuner perfomance setting installed now, I dont really know the limitations of that setup.

The powerdyne kit come with the supercharger and mounting bracketry, Fuel management unit, 200 lph in-line fuel pump, and fan spacer among other smaller things. So, yes it does come with a fuel pump. You would have to get a custom program for your Microtuner. I believe that one got probably got, #1715, has tuners that will make a tune for you.

I would recommend the Ford Racing/Powerdyne kit, I think it produces more HP than the EE one does.
The EE one does not require fuel mods, where the FR one does. I ran the FR one w/o the booster pump and FMU, and fuel pressure dropped dramatically so either it does produce more power than the EE one, or the EE one really does need extra fuel.

I am currently looking into buying the TMH, I have the Powerdyne kit, and a Gibson cat back exhaust, I think the TMH will really make the truck scream.

wpurple said:
I would recommend the Ford Racing/Powerdyne kit, I think it produces more HP than the EE one does.
The EE one does not require fuel mods, where the FR one does. I ran the FR one w/o the booster pump and FMU, and fuel pressure dropped dramatically so either it does produce more power than the EE one, or the EE one really does need extra fuel.

I am currently looking into buying the TMH, I have the Powerdyne kit, and a Gibson cat back exhaust, I think the TMH will really make the truck scream.

The Powerdyne/Ford racing centrifugal supercharger, Allen Engine Development roots supercharger, and EE roots supercharger are all great quality kits in respect to what they were designed for. With your reccommendation you are really comparing apples to oranges.

You cannot compare a roots kit to a centrifugal kit really. The roots kit has a totally different powerband than the centrifugal kit, and thus caters to a different customer-base. It all depends on whether or not you want low end power or the power to come on strong in the upper rpms, whether you want stump pulling power and stoplight racer or a highway racer with smooth power, and on and on. Don't get me started on the thermodynamics differences of the two types. The deciding factor between the types of kits, whether it be a positive displacement(roots/twin-screw) or centrifugal supercharger comes down to what the customer wants their car to do and what mods they have done already.

I understand your statement that you are comparing apples to oranges, but take 2 X's, one with a roots, and one with a centrifugal, which one would win a race 0 to 100mph?

Also, by changing the pully, you can get the boost to come on at a much lower rpm, no? (on a centrifugal)

wpurple said:
I understand your statement that you are comparing apples to oranges, but take 2 X's, one with a roots, and one with a centrifugal, which one would win a race 0 to 100mph?

Also, by changing the pully, you can get the boost to come on at a much lower rpm, no? (on a centrifugal)

The race from 0-100 doesn't matter if that person only wants to pull stumps out the back yard or something else not befitting higher end acceleration. It is all up to what results the vehicle owner wants. Just because a hammer is a great tool in the right situation doesn't mean that a pipe wrench won't do a better job at certain other things. Catch my drift? ;)

If you change the pulley you will be able to make boost come on incrementally lower (not much lower), but you will also be pullied for more total boost now to. That leads to more prevalence of breakage issues when higher rpms are reached with higher boost on a stock shortblock.

If you want the off the line power, and intend to streetlight race, and occassionally tow a boat or heavy trailor then a roots would be for you. If you want a highway racer that pulls good 1/4 mile times and has somewhat more tame driveability then the centri may be your thing.

I bought mine because I tow a TT with my Mounty and wanted better performance climbing hills and passing, which the centrifugal works exactly as planned. Normal driving is exactly stock. Power is there on tap when needed.

There's plenty of torque to get the TT moving, it was when I was on the highway that I needed the extra.

You guys definately know more than I do about all this. My main concern is the 150 k miles I have on it already. Would i just be putting undue stress on a motor that runs fantastic as is? I am looking for more torque essentially, but also working on a very tight budget. I dont want to drop around 3 grand on a SC and have to turn around in a few months and completely replace my 5.0. Wondering if I should just set my sights on a perfomance block instead.

As long as your engine is still strong, SC should not be a problem
Do a compression check to get a good idea of the health of the engine.

Back