• Register Today It's free!

Ford radio in a Dodge truck?

Karpiel73

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport
Just got off the phone with my dad and he hates the stereo in his 1998 Cummins dually. My 6 disc in-dash cd changer has been in his house for 4 years and he just found out it's an in-dash cd changer tonight. Is it possible to correctly wire this radio into his Dodge and have it all functional? Are there wire harnesses sold that are direct plug ins?

Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes with some work.. and a little knowledge..

you would need this harness to go into the radio:http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...n=productads&gclid=COifg_mI3bACFYMKKgod1XYbzw

and this one to plug onto the factory wires: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...n=productads&gclid=CMfi8JSJ3bACFSWFQAod_SUl1w

these should wire color for color (you may need to add a ground wire in. the chrysler is usually bolted to the back of the radio.

now for the kicker.. the dodge is a 1.5 din radio, the ford is a 2 din. which means you will have to customize the dash to make it work/ fit.

Thanks for the reply. I talked to him and he said he doesn't want to cut his dash. Understandable. If he decides to roll with it then I'll get pictures and post them up.

Well he does not want to cut his dash any. Also if someone has a brainstorm to do this, the ford radio is about 2 inch deeper than the Chrysler radio.

Why go through all of this- just get another Dodge radio, or a decently cheap aftermarket deck?

Why go through all of this- just get another Dodge radio, or a decently cheap aftermarket deck?

I agree. But my dad is set in his ways. He said that all Chrysler radios were never good and he hates the (insert expletive term) aftermarket radios. He liked the in dash 6 disc and the setup of the Pioneer so he asked me to look into it. Nothing wrong with a little customization anyway.

Well, I agree- as long as he'll actually let you customize... :D

Well, I agree- as long as he'll actually let you customize... :D

I don't DARE look at his truck crooked, let alone customize something! lol That truck is his baby and has been for 14 years. Although I have tried to put some of my own touches on it without success :)

Back