• Register Today It's free!

Ford ranger belt

soundman115

Reaction score
City, State
va
Year, Model & Trim Level
ranger 2003 3.0 V6
I have a 2003 ford ranger V6 3.0 i have a belt noise and i dont know what pully it is coming from. i just replace my idler pully and trension pully and put a new belt on. But i am still getting a squealing niose sounds like the idler pully but it is not cuz i made sure by going to get a different one. i would like to know any ideas of what other pullys it could be. everything is stock on the ranger.

thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i did that and nothing the only noise i could hear was on the idler pully sounded like a little grinding noise but i just replaced it and i still have a noise.

It's possible for the noise to come from a bearing in the alternator, P/S pump or the water pump, but it won't make the noise unless there is stress against the bearing from the belt applying pressure as it turns.

ok so do you think if i sprayed wd40 on a pully until the noise stoped while the truck is running i could pine point which pully it is?

thanks

One way to find out where the noise is coming from is to use a stethoscope and put it as close to the pulley as safely possible. If you don't have a stethoscope like most people, then use a long extension or screwdriver. If you have A/C, it could be the compressor.

ok thanks alot ill try it and see what i can find. thanks again

3.0's are known for their tensioner pulleys going out of alignment which causes the infamous belt squeal. Put a straight edge on your tensioner pulley and see if it lines up with your crank pulley - if it doesn't then either shim the old tensioner into alignment or else buy a new tensioner assembly.

Another source of squealing on 3.0's is the cam synchronizer assembly located at the rear of the engine.

ok well i sprayed some wd40 and it stopped for a while then came right back i will try the alignment thing and see how it goes. i never changed it out i just changed the pully in it. thanks again

The 3.0 tensioner is a poor design and even new ones can pull out of alignment, so if you buy a new tensioner make sure to check it for alignment (with the belt on) after installing it.

Back